Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skyscraper reflection melts Jaguar car parts

seeder

Oh boy you wouldnt want this to happen to your car now would you?

Walkie-Talkie' skyscraper melts Jaguar car parts

A new London skyscraper dubbed the "Walkie Talkie" has been blamed for reflecting light which melted parts of a car parked on a nearby street.

Martin Lindsay parked his Jaguar on Eastcheap, in the City of London, on Thursday afternoon. When he returned about two hours later, he found parts of his car - including the wing mirror and badge - had melted.

Mr Lindsay said he "could not believe" the damage. The developers have apologised and paid for repairs. The 37-storey skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street, which has been nicknamed the "Walkie Talkie" because of its shape, is currently under construction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-23930675

Kind of related, - I left a ciggie lighter on the dashboard shelf under the windscreen last summer, when I came to the car later it had exploded like small bomb, bits of red plastic everywhere, and one bit, had so much force behind it it embedded into the tough inner windscreen trim/plastic. Lucky it didn't bust the screen and perhaps even luckier I wasn't driving as a bit of that could have blinded me.

When I posted what had happened on a car forum I'm a member of, I was surprised as others said it happened to them at various times too

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Thanks for that.

I can't help but think that the eyesores being built nowadays, at least in Asian cities, will be very much regretted by the next generation.

• Like 1

I'm a little disappointed that the architects and engineer's did not consider this potential problem before construction.

• Like 1

Kind of related, - I left a ciggie lighter on the dashboard shelf under the windscreen last summer, when I came to the car later it had exploded like small bomb, bits of red plastic everywhere, and one bit, had so much force behind it it embedded into the tough inner windscreen trim/plastic. Lucky it didn't bust the screen and perhaps even luckier I wasn't driving as a bit of that could have blinded me.

I got into my car one day and I thought one of my female friends had glittered it... it was sparkly all over. Didn't figure it out until i found the top of the plastic lighter I had left in there. The sun, she is a hot one!

• Like 1

Wonder if his insurance is gonna pay?

If he had "comprehensive" coverage, I suspect so -- but I don't know if this is sold in Britain.

If he had "comprehensive" coverage, I suspect so -- but I don't know if this is sold in Britain.

Not required. This is a clear case of developer negligence.

Their insurance company will deal with it.

• Like 1

Yes it is, we have 3rd party only, 3rd party fire and theft, and fully comprehensive. But the article did say the builders/architects whatever offered payment

"Mr Lindsay said the developers had apologised and agreed to sort out the £946 repair costs"

• Like 1

It amazes me they were able to get the required permits with such an obvious potential, all that glass shaped convex.

Glass buildings kill a lot of birds too. I hate the things.

Darn, and I'd hoped for an alien death ray or something. How disappointing. ;-)

• Like 1

Would have been an interesting engineering project to have designed the glass panels in a manner that allowed successive groups of panels to capture the sun and reflect it into a collector as the sun sweeps the sky. May be a relatively passive method to make electricity or heat. Construct a building with some engineering foresight once and dual purpose it for life.

• Like 1

Would have been an interesting engineering project to have designed the glass panels in a manner that allowed successive groups of panels to capture the sun and reflect it into a collector as the sun sweeps the sky. May be a relatively passive method to make electricity or heat. Construct a building with some engineering foresight once and dual purpose it for life.

wouldn't solar panels do just that?

london skyscraper goes on rampage-

sets fire to cars and shops!

eye-witnesses hope Godzilla is a sign of Revelation!!

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/03/20307661-it-is-hotter-than-anywhere-ive-ever-been-london-skyscraper-melts-cars-fries-eggs?lite

nearly a week ago.

(.....and it STILL makes more sense than crop-circles being a sign of Revelation.....)

;-)

"It could be dangerous. Imagine if the sun reflected on the wrong part of the body.

O God. If that is what its doing a car someone won't be having kids anytime soon if not at all. Can you saw law suit?

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't the planet getting hot enough, without Builders, Architecs designing buildings that "Radiate" heat. use your smart brains.