Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whales spark 'sea monster' rumors in Ghana

UM-Bot

The remains of at least three whales have mysteriously washed up on different beaches across Ghana.

Locals had gathered on the beaches at Kokrobite, Asanta and Kikam to get a closer look. Two of the animals were immediately identifiable as whales while the third sparked claims of a cryptozoological mystery with pictures generating headlines that a "mysterious creature" had been discovered.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...rumors-in-ghana

• Like 1

I don't see anywhere in the news story that the locals thought the whales were sea monsters.

• Like 1

I don't see anywhere in the news story that the locals thought the whales were sea monsters.

If you do a search on Google there are several news sites covering this angle.

Mysterious sea creature washed ashore at a Jomoro beach

Huge, Mysterious Mammal Appears on Asanta Beach in Jomoro District

• Like 1

As you read these stories keep in mind the oft heard crypto claims of "the locals know these areas and know the animals that live there".

• Like 1

Hm. From the pictures, it is a strange-looking beast. Long snout, fins like a turtle. Maybe further study is warranted. If you can stand the smell, that is...

Initial guess, from these first photos anyway, humpback whale. The fins share a similar bumpy look and it looks like the animal has ridges on the paler parts, which a humpback has to reduce drag as it swims.

Whales tend to decompose funny, that's why so many of them get mistaken for sea monsters when they wash up.

good job they didn't wash up in japan-

theyd've been eaten before the photographers got there.....

;-)

• Like 2

If dead whales are a good omen to these people I'd hate to see a bad one. :w00t:

• Like 3

wonder if green peace would think it was a creature, they would prolly try to hug it

Superstitious, ignorant, uneducated, primitive-minded, myth-loving savages.....

Hey, look.......... was that bigfoot??? I swear I just saw a blurry, furry critter just duck into the woods!!!! Someone get a TV Crew over here QUICK!!!

As DecoNoir guessed it is a humpback whale. The fin is clearly giving the answer and also the rests of the longitudal folds of skin right which all rorquals own. As it ceratinly would be much more difficult if we only had the first picture it is nice to learn: never trust one "monster" picture alone! :w00t:

sea-creature-in-Spain.jpg?42e305

Well what the heck does that look like to you people? I have literally no clue,

Edit: Yes this is pictures of the "Monster."

Edited by LXC2

This is already solved. It was a shark as I wrote elsewhere long before the Florida shark expert Deam Grubbs was questioned and acknowledged it http://www.livescien...=51462711071794). There is a vertebral column, hypochondral rays of the tail and the pectoral girdle of a shark. There are more pictures which show that the body and the "head" with the "horns" are separated. From the story we knew that the carcass was found in two pieces in the water and then brought to the strand. So this is why the pectoral girdle is placed at this position.

Before anyone speculates (partially ignoring what was written before): No it wasn't an oarfish. Its clearly an shark. No, it wasn't an frilled shark. Its too long and too massive for this species. No, there's no reason to speculate it was a prehistoric frilled shark. No, we don't know the exact species as there is more than one shark species out there who could be responsible for this carcass. But no, this doesn't mean it was a prehistoric shark species.

Edited by Marozi
  • Like 1

Based on the size and the fact that it was washed up in Andalucía, it was probably a great white or a basking shark.