Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A most bizarre and mysterious cocoon

Still Waters

This bizarre photo was posted the other day on reddit’s “whatsthisbug” subreddit by Decapod73, with the following information: “Seriously, who makes egg cases like this? Just under 2cm across, Southern Peruvian Amazon”

http://whyevolutioni...terious-cocoon/

• Like 5

Amazingly ingenious.

• Like 1

I've never seen anything like it before, it makes sense! Build a fence around the babies for protection. I suppose if they keep an eye on it, what makes the cocoon will eventually become evident.. I can't wait to find out where the genius is coming from!

*Like this* x 100

:tsu: :tsu: :tsu:

Wow! Thanks for this stumper! I've been searching around and no one seems to know what it is.

It reminds me of a hot glue gun project. lol

Very interesting, a rare gem. If someone finds an answer pm me!

Here is the photographer's FB page, Decapod73, of his trip and a couple more photos if you dig around. https://www.facebook...est.Expeditions

Supposedly one commenter said he asked a Smithsonian entomologist and he said he's never seen one before.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Aliens!!!!

:lol:

Yeah Moth Circles! LOL

Nature is too cool !

• Like 1

Kind of reminds me of one of those high speed photos of a drop a milk, then the subsequent circular splash/ripples. Really want to know what's cooking in there.

those pesky insects! first, they copy our nice white fences, and soon they'll be all "move over and gimme your job!" ;)

pretty nice, i've never seen anything like that before!

and the mystery deepens...

Chris Buddle, an arachnologist at McGill University, said that neither he nor any of his associates know what it is. "I have no clue," he said. It's "a seriously fascinating mystery."

"I have no idea what animal made that," Norman Platnick, curator emeritus of spiders at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, told LiveScience.

So far, Redditors and others have guessed that it could be some kind of moth cocoon, an intricate defense for spider eggs, or even the fruiting body of some type of fungus.

Read more: http://www.cosmostv....l#ixzz2e1ymYcxm

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1