Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meth Heads and Religion

rapture

Which is easier to overcome... chemical/ psychological dependency from drugs(i.e. marijuana, herion, meth, Lortabs) or religious brain- washing from cult leaders ( Warren Jeffs, Jim Jones, Charles Manson, ect) Further, Is religious addiction chemical, physical, or both- and does programs similar to those designed for addicts capable of reprogramming the flock? My opinion: It is easier for a Meth Head to go through the eye of a hurricane than for a sheep to question the cult leaders' sayings.

Edited by rapture
  • Like 1

Just my opinion. I have experienced both chemical and "religious" addiction.

For myself, getting-off the chemicals was brutal. But, it can work.

Getting-off a religious addiction(again, for me) was psychologically painful of course, but did not have the physical aspects of withdrawal.

Even still, I found the religious addiction to be much more subtlely persistent.

EDIT: I still believe in a God, I'm just not so OCD about it.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I think, at least for some people, there is a strong instinct to stay with the programming/indoctrination of childhood. This would make evolutionary sense in helping the tribl group adhere.

Of course all children go through a rebellious phase in their teens, some more than others, as they establish their independence. Many during these years sour of the indoctrination and much of the hypocrisy of their childhood religion, and seek elsewhere.

However, that instinct sets in and makes them feel guilty and afraid. It is the same instinct that makes us want to follow our conscience and punishes us with guilt and fear if we don't. Quite often this results in a return of the lost sheep, which is itself rewarded by feelings of joy and peace. Listen to their testimony and you hear it over and over.

Others grow out of this and overcome their guilt and fear, and end up with a hate of the religion for what the indoctrination did to them and put them through.

I think it is this childhood indoctrination and the instinct to hold onto it,that keeps irrelevant and nonsensical religions going, along with a variety of tricks religions play on their adherents, such as making faith a virtue and doubt a sin, and the command to preach, as well of course as social and in some countries even legal enforcement..

• Like 1

I would say religion. Because of social peers.

With drugs, you can move away from your friends who enable you. But religion? It is everywhere, you see religious items in almost any store, even clothing stores.. as you will find things printed on t-shirts and such.

Bill Boards sprout religion all over the place, you do not hve bill boards selling you meth and other drugs.

Even in hospitals and jails/prison, religion is there. The books and tracs.

And some times it's just as deadly.

I have been addicted to a painkiller called - Co-codamol ..This painkiller is made up with two main painkillers combined - Paracetamol and codeine.. The codeine itself can cause an addiction if taken regularly... I used to take them each month for cramps in the tummy... The co-codamol worked so fast, I stuck with it for many years, using them for headaches and other pains..

Thing is, because I became most addictive of these painkillers, I felt I needed six a day, and my body was tricking itself thinking I had a headache or temperature, so I kept taking them. I believed I needed to take them. Truth be told, there was nothing wrong with me, I was just addicted...

I never bother with the painkillers any more, I haven't done for a good seven - eight years or so ( give or take ) ..I noticed I didn't have the so called headaches as often, and I never felt the need after some time later... I am much better without the drug, and I am glad I found out the hard way, of how damaging drugs like the painkiller can do...

I can say the same about religion... Being raised in Christianity, I was made feel guilty, I was taught to believe in sin... I was made go to confess my sins and pray to Jesus as my penance and forgiveness Because I was doing this for so long, I believed I needed religion to get me through my day... I was always told that I was guilty of sin, even if I knew I had not done any wrong, but I believed I must be guilty, of sin regardless..

This was bred into me from an early age, and I believed in it until I reached my teens, and had the freedom to think for myself.. Even in my early to late teens, I had fear of expressing how I really felt about religion, I still never felt free, and I was still being forced to practice it every so often and constantly pushed and told I was some kind of sinner and I needed Jesus in my life.. When I lived with my boyfriend ( now husband ) for ten years before having a child, I was treated badly by the deeply religious judgemental sort, including some family members...

When I had my baby out of wedlock, so many made my life hell over a religion that did not make sense.. But the pressures were constantly pushed on to me and forever trying to make me feel I was a bad person and still needed Jesus.. A number of times, this caused heartache and stress.... It took some strong willpower to rid it once and for all..If I were not a strong person, I don't think I could have gotten through it...

The comparison of the two - Religion and Painkiller addiction.

Like the painkiller addiction, I once believed I was suffering from guilt and needed something to help and absolve me from that guilt, whereas the painkillers made me feel I needed them to help cope with the pains.. Both of these addictions told me I had a problem, and I needed to take them and use them... I popped two co-codamol into water and drank them, and with religion, I prayed to Jesus asking him to remove me from sin and guilt... I had believed that I was in dire need of the two...

The result...

Goes to show you how powerful the mind over body really is, and how dangerous it can be if you do not take ease... I overcome both addictions - Drugs and religion... I now feel so much better that I no longer need them, I no longer feel the pains ( physically and mentally ) I can go through my life knowing I do not have to reach out for them nor feel the pain/guilt.. I am not an addict and I am not some kind of sinner... I lead a good life and I am a lot happier now than I ever was...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

Personally, I think the people who have religion are the ones who need it the most, and I don't say that sarcastically. Did you know that when cult leaders go looking for kids at college to bring into their cult, they go for the kids who are the most devoted to their religion, whichever one they worship? That's because a devout person can be brainwashed easier and more thoroughly than a teen that only occasionally attends a service. And from what I've seen, the opposite is true too. If someone has been addicted to alcohol or drugs, then it's far easier to "cure" him using religion. My personal view is it's merely exchanging one religion for another, but I'd rather see people on religion than on drugs.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the people who have religion are the ones who need it the most, and I don't say that sarcastically. Did you know that when cult leaders go looking for kids at college to bring into their cult, they go for the kids who are the most devoted to their religion, whichever one they worship? That's because a devout person can be brainwashed easier and more thoroughly than a teen that only occasionally attends a service. And from what I've seen, the opposite is true too. If someone has been addicted to alcohol or drugs, then it's far easier to "cure" him using religion. My personal view is it's merely exchanging one religion for another, but I'd rather see people on religion than on drugs.

The majority of the planet is on religion? However,What of the opposite: Cure religious addicts; women in particular, with programs similar to alcohol, drugs , sex, over-eating, or for the batter- wife syndrome(but i love him)

Edited by rapture

The majority of the planet is on religion? However,What of the opposite: Cure religious addicts; women in particular, with programs similar to alcohol, drugs , sex, over-eating, or for the batter- wife syndrome(but i love him)

I'd say the majority of people who live on the planet are religious, to some extent. Although without facts and figures, that's just an educated guess on my part. And yes, for a significant number of those people, I'd say a lot of them were as addicted to their religion as an addict is to drugs. We only notice them when they go outside the norm society imposes on people or when they come to our attention in the media. And yes, there are people who make a living unbrainwashing, as the term may be, the kids and adults that have been kidnapped by their relatives out of cults, religious and otherwise. I've seen a few specials on that and it's very interesting.

Actually anyone can fall under the control of a cult leader, read the literature on it. http://icsahome.com/...? - long answer .

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 1

I was baptized at 13 and by the time I was 15 I was smoking dope, drinking and losing myself in the "articles" in Playboy :)

I rejected the religious dogmas I'd been taught out of hand. But I never let go of the feeling that there WAS something higher. As I moved into adulthood I began searching for something to make sense of the random pain and injustice in life and found myself trying to understand God. I realized that this is something I will never be able to do. I just accept in faith that He IS and I find peace in living my life so as not to harm others any more than I must through my daily living. We all bump into and "break" the plans and desires of others. We all have our own opinions of what is or is not right and we all want to be (as my AA buddies say) the DIRECTOR. :)

I have just learned that if I let go of holding on so tight to the megaphone, things have a way of working out for the best.

• Like 2

Indoctrination works with some people and is counterproductive with others. The thing is, rational argument is similar. I guess human beings just don't fit into predictable categories.

I know that there are plenty of current drug addicts and alcoholics in a church that a family member attends. These addicts often lean on other church members for financial help. But most of the addicts there are in denial right now. Not too many will admit to it. This stuff goes on for years and years.

• Like 1

Which indicates to me that some of these addictive substances are not as harmful as we are told, except for the addiction itself. That appears also to be the case with nicotine -- highly addictive but it is the other stuff in cigarette smoke that does the harm.

the differance between a baptist and a muslim ... is hard to find.

the diffrence between an addiction and a religon.... one you do to feel good, and makes you feel bad later.... the other you do to feel bad... and makes you feel good later .

both will kill you .... both you do at the expense of judgement .

nearly all religon is a tenant , landlord screening process.... where the bad people get bad stuff happening to them .

We are all addicted: it is one of the ways our body has of forcing behaviors against our will when the body thinks it is needed. Try holding your breath, or fasting for a few days and you will see.

the differance between a baptist and a muslim ... is hard to find.

the diffrence between an addiction and a religon.... one you do to feel good, and makes you feel bad later.... the other you do to feel bad... and makes you feel good later .

both will kill you .... both you do at the expense of judgement .

nearly all religon is a tenant , landlord screening process.... where the bad people get bad stuff happening to them .

Your first statement is ridiculous. But it says all I need to hear to understand your attitudes. What a depressing belief system.

Uhhhhhh Drugs are more addictive than Religion. Drugs vs cia/kgb brainwashing would be a better discussion than drugs vs religion. But even with that Drugs would win.(seeing as brainwashing uses drugs). If youve been around crack heads and meth heads or sold to em, there is nothing to think about, drug addiction wins.

Drug addiction affect you mentally and physically, religion is just mental.

You assert that drugs are more addictive than religion. I think that is not correct; my experience with religious believers is that they are very much addicted and actively seek out the same sort of "high" that addicts seek with their drugs. They call it things like "joy in the Lord," and so on. They also show similar denial behavior.

• Like 3

You assert that drugs are more addictive than religion. I think that is not correct; my experience with religious believers is that they are very much addicted and actively seek out the same sort of "high" that addicts seek with their drugs. They call it things like "joy in the Lord," and so on. They also show similar denial behavior.

UHHHH not all drugs give you a "high" some are downers and hallucinogenics and while some do drugs for fun allot do it to escape. And Ive sold drugs and I was raised in the church, there hustles are completely different so is the clientele. The high your thinking of isnt the same. Might as well say Watching football or having sex is the same as doing Molly. Go to a southern baptist church (that denomination knows how to get krunk) then go to a crack house. If you think there the same then you just being biased and anti-religious.