Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lets post some great punk and hardcore

Simbi Laveau

I live about 20 minutes away from (and my grandma lives down the block) from 924 Gilman in Berkeley. It's been famous for being a punk/hardcore club for over 20 years. I used to go there to watch The Nerve Agents/Tiger Army/AFI scene bands play there when I was a teen, but now I've fell out of touch with the local East Bay Hardcore scene. But every once in awhile, a known name from the punk/hardcore scene shows up there these days, and recently it was Urban Waste. I got some good footage of them:

[media=]

[/media]

edit: I see you've put Dead Kennedy's up. A famous incident at 924 Gilman involved Jello Biafra getting gang attacked there. From his wiki:

On May 7, 1994, Punk Rock fans who believed Biafra was a "sell out" attacked him at the 924 Gilman Street club in Berkeley, California. Biafra claims that he was attacked by a man nicknamed Cretin, who crashed into him while moshing. The crash injured Biafra's leg, causing an argument between the two men. During the argument, Cretin pushed Biafra to the floor and five or six friends of Cretin assaulted Biafra while he was down, yelling "Sellout rock star, kick him", and attempting to pull out his hair.[15] Biafra was later hospitalized with serious injuries.[16] The attack derailed Biafra's plans for both a Canadian spoken-word tour and an accompanying album, and the production of Pure Chewing Satisfaction was halted. However, Biafra returned to the Gilman club a few months after the incident to perform a spoken-word performance as an act of reconciliation with the club.[17]
Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

I live about 20 minutes away from (and my grandma lives down the block) from 924 Gilman in Berkeley. It's been famous for being a punk/hardcore club for over 20 years. I used to go there to watch The Nerve Agents/Tiger Army/AFI scene bands play there when I was a teen, but now I've fell out of touch with the local East Bay Hardcore scene. But every once in awhile, a known name from the punk/hardcore scene shows up there these days, and recently it was Urban Waste. I got some good footage of them:

Awesome only !

Heres some vintage Ramones

• Like 3

This is from 2000, back in the golden days (for me) when The Nerve Agents would fill the Gilman wall to wall with heads and energy. I haven't seen it with near as many people these days...

And here's baby AFI at Gilman in '95, covering The Misfits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c00ImoSmNYM

NOFX in '91:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjIU5kiF2Y

And for kicks, here's baby Green Day there in '91:

• Like 1

Some nardcore. I remember seeing Dr. Know play at the Concord Depot, a place my band at the time also played a few times. So I can feel like I rubbed elbows with them:

And I'll leave with something a bit more offbeat and abstract. The best Arnold Schwarzenegger cover punk band ever, ArnoCorps:

[media=]

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

Okay, last one. My old band mate's uncle's band I also saw at the Depot, and played with once in Alex's back yard, when we got kicked out of the local Antioch swimming pool for holding a concert there without asking,, lol. Here's their music video for 'Dustbuster Abortion':

• Like 2

Probably one of my all time favorite bands

and also

[media=]

Edited by Mythical Legend
  • Like 2

And one of the only vids of my buds i could find. I've know these guys forever and they're a blast to party with...

• Like 1

These guys were awesome fun live .Tesco used to come onstage in a red cape with a giant....thing around his neck,they used to squirt us all....heh

I saw these guys are CBGBs once,and someone stage dove over my head ,and kicked me in the head with a steel tipped combat boot.I ended up with a concussion .

They were awesome though

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

RIP Mia

[The Gits]

I'm punk and hardcore challenged beyond the basics of the Sex Pistols, Misfits, Clash, and DK's (who I've always loved) ... Since I'm a lifelong Seattle native, starting in about 1985, it was all thrash and what would become "grunge" all the time. TAD, The Melvins, Mudhoney, and lesser known technical thrash bands like Forced Entry, Bitter End, and Panic.

I saw The Gits twice that I can remember--both times at the Central Tavern I think. Mia was an amazing performer. The world lost a talent when she was senselessly murdered.

I think I could post a little Mudhoney. People call them grunge... I dunno, maybe they are, but frankly, I don't know what grunge is.... I don't think anyone does. LOL. 25 years ago, I considered these guys to be punk

[media=]

[/media]

This awesome video was filmed this summer on the VERY tip top of the Space Needle, something never done before... Mark Arm can't run around like the crazy guy he usually is on stage... a stage dive from up there would be his last. hahaha. I've seen these guys so many times I've lost count... I've seen them three times this year alone. haha.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 2

I'm punk and hardcore challenged beyond the basics of the Sex Pistols, Misfits, Clash, and DK's (who I've always loved) ... Since I'm a lifelong Seattle native, starting in about 1985, it was all thrash and what would become "grunge" all the time. TAD, The Melvins, Mudhoney, and lesser known technical thrash bands like Forced Entry, Bitter End, and Panic.

I saw The Gits twice that I can remember--both times at the Central Tavern I think. Mia was an amazing performer. The world lost a talent when she was senselessly murdered.

I think I could post a little Mudhoney. People call them grunge... I dunno, maybe they are, but frankly, I don't know what grunge is.... I don't think anyone does. LOL. 25 years ago, I considered these guys to be punk

[media=]

[/media]

This awesome video was filmed this summer on the VERY tip top of the Space Needle, something never done before... Mark Arm can't run around like the crazy guy he usually is on stage... a stage dive from up there would be his last. hahaha. I've seen these guys so many times I've lost count... I've seen them three times this year alone. haha.

Wow.incredible you got to see her.I heard they reformed recently ....or there was a movie ...

Wow.incredible you got to see her.I heard they reformed recently ....or there was a movie ...

There was a documentary movie called the The Gits. But that was several years ago. I haven't heard anything else about them since. :-/ I don't think any of them live in the area anymore, so I wouldn't hear much more than that.

• Like 1

What I loved about going to punk shows is that even if there was a mosh pit, people inside would dance and skank. And if someone fell down, some stranger would lift them back up and not stomp the holy hell out of them. One time, a dude in huge boots went crowd surfing and inadvertently kicked me in the head. A young girl reached up, rubbed the spot and gave me a thumbs up. Ah, those were the days...

• Like 2

What I loved about going to punk shows is that even if there was a mosh pit, people inside would dance and skank. And if someone fell down, some stranger would lift them back up and not stomp the holy hell out of them. One time, a dude in huge boots went crowd surfing and inadvertently kicked me in the head. A young girl reached up, rubbed the spot and gave me a thumbs up. Ah, those were the days...

Yeah, I remember being on stage for a band's last song when they called everyone to get on stage, and there were so many of us that we all fell down at one point, me stuck on the bottom of the pile, only chest up outside of being underneath. Some guy facing the stage where I was on reached up and pulled me out, seeing I was in a sticky situation and having trouble breathing. He didn't have to do that, but I still remember him saving me. People do this all the time for each other in the dangerous world of punk shows. Even if you get hit by someone, once the initial 'what the @#$% mother@#$%er reaction fades, you realize you're in a setting of like minded 'friends' or 'family', and realize it was a good natured accident, and all is okay, even though you just got uppercut in the jaw (also happened to me at a punk show).

The last punkshow I went to I saw a guy right in front of me get what looked like a concussion from some guy stage diving onto his head. He dropped down to the ground, and people rushed to him and checked him out to make sure he was okay. Of course, all they could do was offer him water as he stood dazed shaky on his feet, but it was the intent to help and be there for him that mattered, the impromptu medical evaluation ending with various hugs. I got it on film here (at 9:15 in the video):

• Like 3

I don't know what's happened with kids these days in regards to moshing and slam dancing anymore... they've missed the point and turned it dangerous. Moshing during the "grunge era" in Seattle was a relatively "kind" sort of moshing too... no one really ever got hurt or even mad if they got kicked in the head accidentally. There was this invisible line as well that everyone respected. You were either in or you weren't, and the ins didn't encroach on the "out of the pit" spectators. If you were "in" you kind of chose to get kicked in the head accidentally and that was ok.

A couple of months ago, some friends and I went to see some groups; one I'd call an "arena rock" band or maybe even prog rock. The other was stoner rock more or less. there were like 6 or 7 kids there (college age) who fancied themselves punks and they didn't respect anyone and were just slamming EVERYONE around including me and one of my girlfriends... we kept backing up but they just kept taking up more space. My girlfriend finally got HACKED off and grabbed this one dude around the neck and almost choked him out! Later, he comes up to her and tells her "if you don't like rock shows don't go to them!" OH, BAD move! She gave him the mom lecture of the century about how to mosh, slam dance and RESPECT the other people at the show. Then she rather forcefully informed him that you don't slam into 46 year old ladies at Prog Rock shows who were moshing to the likes of AIC and Soundgarden before he was BORN. LOL. Then she gave him the names of at least 10 local punk and thrash bands who encourage people to beat the living hell out of each other! I think he was a little shocked. He ended the conversation by calling her a big meanie *facepalm* haha.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 2

Ok, I did come up with a punk/hardcore band I seem to accidentally see ALL the time... they're relatively new. Personally? Not my thing, but they have some of the most NUTS fans... if you're not careful you can get really hurt at one of their shows. In fact, my boyfriend damn near killed one of their slam dancers, and The Insurgence wasn't even on stage yet... there was a NWOBHM band on stage (who we were there to see)... the guitar player for the metal band started screaming into the mic, "NO SETH NO! Don't kill the little punk sh!thead!!" LOL. The funniest part? My boyfriend is like 6'5" and the punky slam dancer was about 5'3" so Seth was holding his entire face with the palm of his hand at arms length and it was classic with this kid swinging at air not being tall enough to actually connect! LOL.

• Like 2

Not in NYC. The hard core Sundays at cbgbs were brutal .

Guys came out of those bloody and missing teeth....

Ahhh,those were the days....

I don't know what's happened with kids these days in regards to moshing and slam dancing anymore... they've missed the point and turned it dangerous. Moshing during the "grunge era" in Seattle was a relatively "kind" sort of moshing too... no one really ever got hurt or even mad if they got kicked in the head accidentally. There was this invisible line as well that everyone respected. You were either in or you weren't, and the ins didn't encroach on the "out of the pit" spectators. If you were "in" you kind of chose to get kicked in the head accidentally and that was ok.

A couple of months ago, some friends and I went to see some groups; one I'd call an "arena rock" band or maybe even prog rock. The other was stoner rock more or less. there were like 6 or 7 kids there (college age) who fancied themselves punks and they didn't respect anyone and were just slamming EVERYONE around including me and one of my girlfriends... we kept backing up but they just kept taking up more space. My girlfriend finally got HACKED off and grabbed this one dude around the neck and almost choked him out! Later, he comes up to her and tells her "if you don't like rock shows don't go to them!" OH, BAD move! She gave him the mom lecture of the century about how to mosh, slam dance and RESPECT the other people at the show. Then she rather forcefully informed him that you don't slam into 46 year old ladies at Prog Rock shows who were moshing to the likes of AIC and Soundgarden before he was BORN. LOL. Then she gave him the names of at least 10 local punk and thrash bands who encourage people to beat the living hell out of each other! I think he was a little shocked. He ended the conversation by calling her a big meanie *facepalm* haha.

I've been hurt a few times .My friend Lisa has a front tooth knocked out by a stage diver at a Type O Negative show .

Mosh pits showed up at metal shows later on ..

But the most brutal shows i have ever ever been to,worse than cbgbs,were in Japan .

Certain rock bands had a hard core female following ,and these girls don't play .i kid you not.

All 90lbs of them .

They rush the stage at like 90 miles an hour and push so you are being crushed with like 300 pounds per sq inch of force ,on all sides.

The audience would be 95% female .And this band is hard rock .

No pop crap .

Guys like them,but don't go because of all the girls .

They all wear like six inch spiked heels,and they take them off and throw them on the floor ,so at least they're barefoot when they climb on you .

At the end of the shows,they're all passed out on the floor with hundreds of shoes all around on the floor.

I have never seen it anywhere before or since .

They do it to get closer to the guys .

They bite they kick they punch they claw .

They climb up on you and stand on your neck to get up on the crowd

The do this thing when they leap up and slam into your back with their elbows.

Like en masse

They used to carry girls out by the dozens ,unconscious and bloody .

A couple of girls broke limbs ,and some bands banned it all.

For which i was grateful .

One of the most incredible things that happened to me at one of these shows,was one climbed up on me and over my head,and she ripped my contact lenses out of one eye somehow ....

It was sick .

No one i told believed me ,until they experienced it themselves .

And i held my own .i was ten years older than most of them ,and thrashed with the best of them .

I still stand right up front for most bands i love so ....

Too bad for the youngins .We did it all long before ,and BETTER .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

These guys played CBs a lot

These guys were a bit before my time.Never saw them live .

sighs

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1