Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Good Sci-Fi movies

Imaginarynumber1

I've a few days off work and I'm trying to find a few good sci-fi movies to watch. I'm pretty sure I've seen all the good ones, but any suggestions would be welcome.

planet-of-the-apes.jpg

Heck I1, without knowing what you've already seen, this could take all night.

My favourite though is based on, 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' - Blade Runner. Now 33 years old, it's a film that's stood the test of time, which most Sci-Fi's haven't.

• Like 3

I personally enjoyed Dark City, The Prestige, Children of Men and Moon starring Sam Rockwell. If you haven't seen any of those, then give them a shot. If you already have, congratulations, you're awesome.

• Like 2

I'm guessing you've seen all 5 of the original planet of the apes. How about the original The Time Machine, its one of my favorites. Or Metropolis (1927).

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

Heck I1, without knowing what you've already seen, this could take all night.

My favourite though is based on, 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' - Blade Runner. Now 33 years old, it's a film that's stood the test of time, which most Sci-Fi's haven't.

I have seen no less than 3 version of Blade Runner. If I recall, Final Cut was the best verison. Do love the orginal story, though.

Lets see, what have I seen....

Blade Runner

Moon

Primer

Sunshine

Pretty much every 80's and 90's action sci-fi

Children of Men

Event Horizon

The Man from Earth

Planet of the Apes series

to name a few.

Problem is I can't think of any movies right now.

• Like 1

I personally enjoyed Dark City, The Prestige, Children of Men and Moon starring Sam Rockwell. If you haven't seen any of those, then give them a shot. If you already have, congratulations, you're awesome.

Dark City was good. Loved the Prestige.

Just watched Moon again and actually about to watch Children of Men. :tu: I am awesome. Thank you for noticing.

I'm guessing you've seen all 5 of the original planet of the apes. How about the original The Time Machine, its one of my favorites.

Apes all the way!

The Time Machine from the 60's? I've not seen that one, only the abysmal 2000 something remake.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Dark City was good. Loved the Prestige.

Just watched Moon again and actually about to watch Children of Men. :tu: I am awesome. Thank you for noticing.

Apes all the way!

The Time Machine from the 60's? I've not seen that one, only the abysmal 2000 something remake.

Yes the one from the 60's. Its really good if you like old sci-fi. Its in my top 3. And don't get me started on that crap shoot of a remake.

Yes the one from the 60's. Its really good if you like old sci-fi. Its in my top 3. And don't get me started on that crap shoot of a remake.

I'll check it out. I do have a fondness of the older films, though I can usually only watch so many at a time.

I'll check it out. I do have a fondness of the older films, though I can usually only watch so many at a time.

Okay then.

Check out, Fantastic Voyage (1966), very groundbreaking (and, if I do say so, Raquel Welch looks good in a scuba suit).

Rated 6.8/10 by IMDB.

• Like 1

Another interesting film is called "The Fountain " with Hugh Jackman - not like his usual style of movie but well worth the watch if you want a bit of a mind bender !

Another interesting film is called "The Fountain " with Hugh Jackman - not like his usual style of movie but well worth the watch if you want a bit of a mind bender !

I've never watched all of the fountain. I've put it on several times at night and fallen asleep after 30 min or so. No reflection upon the movie, just tired. I'll have to watch the whole thing.

I think I'm looking for some space themed sci-fi. Like Sunshine or Moon.

How about Serenity? Actually, since you have a few days you could watch all the episodes of Firefly, then watch Serenity. I watch all of it back to back at least once or twice a year.

• Like 1

How about Serenity? Actually, since you have a few days you could watch all the episodes of Firefly, then watch Serenity. I watch all of it back to back at least once or twice a year.

I've tried watching Firefly a couple of times. Just cannot get into it. Going to have to give it another try.

I've tried watching Firefly a couple of times. Just cannot get into it. Going to have to give it another try.

I don't know if it will make a difference, but I saw the movie before the series, other than a single episode I saw when it originally aired.

Pacific Rim will be great when it comes out on BLU RAY.

Jurassic Park is also a great classic. Made in 1993 on Kauai.

I think I'm looking for some space themed sci-fi. Like Sunshine or Moon.

If you're in a reflective mood, and haven't already seen it, I can recommend Silent Running from the '70s. A bit slow - no space battles - but very deep.

Whoops, I see JK already recommended it - so I'll second it!

Edited by Leonardo

A few that has left a lasting impression on me:

Enemy Mine (1985)

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Howard the Duck (1986) yes, I'm an 80's kid so I have to list this;)

Metropolis (1927)

Zardoz (1974)

Hope my little list gives you some ideas!

Kind Regards :)

edited to correct a typo.

Edited by Asadora

Abyss with ed harris, and for something old, Barbarella with a very young jane fonda.