Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Good Sci-Fi movies

Imaginarynumber1

Outland (1981)

Ice Pirates (1984) just kidding, really!

I think I'm looking for some space themed sci-fi. Like Sunshine or Moon.

The Europa report. great movie and online if you know how to find it

An international crew of astronauts undertakes a privately funded mission to search for life on Jupiter's fourth largest moon.

User review:

This is a phenomenal sci-fi movie with a realistic approach to what it would be like to send a manned spaceship into the outer solar system, most precisely Jupiter's moon Europa, known for having an ice crust beneath which scientists suspect exists liquid water, maybe even an ocean. Six astronauts (four men and two women) make the team of the expedition; these knowledgeable fellows unlike those from some much bigger and dumber examples of the genre of recent memory.

http://www.unexplain...t

.typos

Edited by seeder

The Europa report. great movie and online if you know how to find it

An international crew of astronauts undertakes a privately funded mission to search for life on Jupiter's fourth largest moon.

User review:

This is a phenomenal sci-fi movie with a realistic approach to what it would be like to send a manned spaceship into the outer solar system, most precisely Jupiter's moon Europa, known for having an ice crust beneath which scientists suspect exists liquid water, maybe even an ocean. Six astronauts (four men and two women) make the team of the expedition; these knowledgeable fellows unlike those from some much bigger and dumber examples of the genre of recent memory.

http://www.unexplain...t

.typos

I forgot about that one. I wanted to see it and know how to find it.

Thannks, s eeder.

• Like 1

I agree with Sunshine and moon. 2 very well written, original idea movies. They are not sequels,prequels,etc.., but original ideas in the very sense. Cillian Murphy is great in Sunshine, and Sam Rockwell is very impressive in Moon.

What about "Coneheads"??? It's funny that both Kramer and George Costanza are in the movie.

A new movie for November!!

Gravity. The shuttle gets hit

edit: just found an extended trailer

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfaNfg_baE[/media]

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

And lets not forget Elysium. I watched this a week ago, about rich people living on a super big space station while the earth is ruined and filled with all the poor people

• Like 1

Well I've just looked through the films I've watched this year thus far and most sci-fi ones are obvious or have already been mentioned, so I'll just add thettwo that haven't. (While going on a hunt for Europa project because I've always had an interest in Europa).

First is Cargo which is a film I watched a few months back. It's set on a ship making a cargo run to a space station. The crew is in stasis, with each takng a few month shift to keep a check on everything. But then, as always things start going wrong. It's a German language film, so it's subtitled, but it's worth a watch.

The second is The Arrival Of Wang which I saw a few weeks back (although yes I giggled at the name beforehand). It's in Italian, so it's again subtitled. It's about a translator that's bought in to translate for the mysterious Mr Wang of the title (who isn't chinese, but in fact an alien that has learned the language because it was the most common). Despite protesting he came in peace, the government offcals don't trust him as they found him with a strange device.... Again it's worth a watch though it's mostly confined to the interview room and just outside of it.

I have seen no less than 3 version of Blade Runner. If I recall, Final Cut was the best verison. Do love the orginal story, though.

Lets see, what have I seen....

Blade Runner

Moon

Primer

Sunshine

Pretty much every 80's and 90's action sci-fi

Children of Men

Event Horizon

The Man from Earth

Planet of the Apes series

to name a few.

Problem is I can't think of any movies right now.

Moon is good.

Think of the following as Psychotronic sci-fi:

Creation of the Humanoids

Tron (1982)

The Crawling Eye

Andromeda Strain

Fun commercial sci-fi:

Soldier (1998)

The Chronicles of Riddick

Okay then.

Check out, Fantastic Voyage (1966), very groundbreaking (and, if I do say so, Raquel Welch looks good in a scuba suit).

Rated 6.8/10 by IMDB.

Here ya go:

What about "Coneheads"??? It's funny that both Kramer and George Costanza are in the movie.

Classic!

A new movie for November!!

Gravity. The shuttle gets hit

edit: just found an extended trailer

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfaNfg_baE[/media]

I'm not sure how this will be. I hope it'll be good.

The new Riddick movie is supposed to be dark.

• Like 1

Gravity and Elyseum are on my to watch list and now I have added The quiet Earth.

I am also looking forward to Terminator 5 as I've been a big fan since I was around 14 and I watched the first one.

I am also looking forward to Jurassic Park 4.

• Like 1

I just thought of another one, 12 Monkeys . Its a good Psychological Thriller.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

Gotta say, just got done watching The Dark City. One thing it is is unpredictable. Sci-fi noir with a little bit of Wizard of Oz thrown in. And pretty much everyone overacting except William Hurt, who I just saw in The Host, which was a better movie than this one. On the other hand, just finished a really good sci-fi book, Chindi, by Jack McDevitt, which was not written for teenagers with too much testosterone.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of any Star Trek movie. I love 'Blade Runner' and old Sci Fi movies. I like the original 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', 'War of the Worlds', 'Forbidden Planet', 'The Time Machine'. Newer versions of the old classics just don't appeal to me as much.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of any Star Trek movie. I love 'Blade Runner' and old Sci Fi movies. I like the original 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', 'War of the Worlds', 'Forbidden Planet', 'The Time Machine'. Newer versions of the old classics just don't appeal to me as much.

Big Trek fan here, but I can't say I love all the movies. Trek 5 is good for a laugh once in a great while, but it also makes me cringe because it's pretty bad in a lot of ways. Of the Next Generation movies, I liked First Contact a lot but the others didn't grab me. I watch the original series on Netflix occasionally, and while there are some great stories in there many of them are pretty bad also. I do love those characters though, and the new movies do a great job of updating the series. The alternate timeline idea was genius, and the actors playing the primary roles are all at least good and in some cases great at channeling those characters.

Blade Runner is one my all time favorites. It's one of very few movies I have on VHS, DVD, and BluRay. The BluRay edition is a must for any fan, because it has five versions of the film in one set.

I just recently watched The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet for the first time. Good stuff. I definitely agree about the newer versions of War of the Worlds and Time Machine. I never bothered to watch The Day Keanu Stood Still.

Yes, "The 12 Monkeys" is one of the great films, in my opinion.

"Brazil" is also a good Science Fiction film. Both directed by Terry Gilliam.

• 4 weeks later...

Gravity and Elyseum are on my to watch list and now I have added The quiet Earth.

I am also looking forward to Terminator 5 as I've been a big fan since I was around 14 and I watched the first one.

I am also looking forward to Jurassic Park 4.

I saw Gravity last week - online... it was a very poor copy but couldn't wait to see a new 'space' film!! But I wont give any spoilers, except to say everyone dies at the end and the aliens win. :lol:

Only kidding, no aliens in this movie, but I have since found a much better quality version which Im watching in about an hour, even tho I know the story now I just want to see a higher quality - for any little things I may have missed due to poor colour in the first copy.

Is it as good as hyped?

well that's down to personal opinion isnt it? I just watch most modern films about space/moon/aliens etc as and when they come out....but if it was rally bad I wouldn't be watching it again :tu: