Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Back from the Dead

Commander CMG

Few creatures have ever existed that can match the sheer weirdness of Australia’s gastric brooding frog. As the name suggests, the amphibian had the strange ability to reproduce offspring in its stomach. The female would release a cloud of eggs, the male would fertilize them, and then the female swallowed the eggs whole. At that point, the female ceased making digestive acids and her stomach became, essentially, a womb. A few weeks would pass, and then the female would open her mouth and a batch of babies would issue forth. Think of it as the swampland version of Zeus birthing Athena out of his forehead: a beast that pukes its young into the world.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

I am so glad women don't have to do it that way!! Imagine! LOL

And now they are going to clone them cause they are becoming extincted. I'm not sure I agree with cloning...too many ethical implications...

The passenger pigeon, the Steller's sea cow, and maybe the thylacine probably wouldn't cause much harm, but when you start bringing back dinosaurs, heck, yes. The morality of doing that I would have to question.

I don't think nature actually wanted anything extinct as nature seems indifferent. I think recreating extinct species to study in controlled environments would be extremely cool

If nature didn't want it dead then it wouldn't have died. Natural selection is what I mean when I say "nature wanted"

If nature didn't want it dead then it wouldn't have died. Natural selection is what I mean when I say "nature wanted"

Point taken. Maybe i'm just nitpicking but imprecise language(which I am as guilty of as any)leads to misunderstanding. Natural selection was not the only cause of extinctions unless you consider extinction level events like killer asteroids or super volcanoes to be natural selection in action

I still think this is a cool idea

Edited by spacecowboy342
  • Like 1

I actually do consider it part of natural selection. Asteroids n **** happen in nature, so the ability to adapt is part of it.

I actually do consider it part of natural selection. Asteroids n **** happen in nature, so the ability to adapt is part of it.

Kind of hard to adapt to death from space, I would think. I just mean to differentiate between things like evolving behaviors or physical attributes that give reproductery advantage from just bad luck to have lived at a moment of cataclysm. I agree either way it's natural. Still don't see the harm in bringing back old species for study of their behaviors

I agree with Spacecowboy, many animals became extincted because of us.

I do think the idea is appealing, and who wouldn't like Jurassic Park to be real....but that ethical question is always there.

But as in Jurassic Park, they couldn't control the dinosaurs and we wouldn't be able to either. The big ones would go wherever they want and destroy anything in their paths.

But as in Jurassic Park, they couldn't control the dinosaurs and we wouldn't be able to either. The big ones would go wherever they want and destroy anything in their paths.

##

I still would love to visit Jurassic Park..imagine that....but ethically I don't think it's right cause in the wrong hands it makes me think of 'what's next?'.

Maybe not a theme park but a research center could yield tons of knowledge. If not dinosaurs imagine resurrecting Homo Erectus or Austalopithecines

• Like 1

Maybe not a theme park but a research center could yield tons of knowledge. If not dinosaurs imagine resurrecting Homo Erectus or Austalopithecines

That research centre would be better than a theme park for me! Imagine being able to see with your own eyes all those creatures that disappeared long ago.

It's either cloning or a time machine.

• Like 1

I agree with Spacecowboy, many animals became extincted because of us.

I do think the idea is appealing, and who wouldn't like Jurassic Park to be real....but that ethical question is always there.

I think on this a lot.

We are a part of nature, we are in the world with these things.

so if something dies due to us or something we create, its also within the boundaries of nature...at least to my mind.

I do get screamed at alot by environmentalists though

I think on this a lot.

We are a part of nature, we are in the world with these things.

so if something dies due to us or something we create, its also within the boundaries of nature...at least to my mind.

I do get screamed at alot by environmentalists though

I think you do have a point but we are something unique in the history of earth. 10,000 or so years ago when we first began to practice agriculture it is estimated that humans and all their domesticated pets and live stock accounted for about 1% of the vertebrate bio-mass on the planet. Today that figure is more like 98%. Nature painted a delicate ecosystem.Then humans came along and changed everything.Now we do the painting.I think this is a great and terrible power and we should be careful not to screw it up