Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's the point of sleep?

questionmark

Despite a wealth of research, we still don't know the purpose of sleep. A new animal study suggests one possible function: to promote the repair of support structures in the brain

Almost as much as eating food or tormenting the local wildlife, my cats love to sleep. Which is probably why I get on so well with them, because I'm also quite partial to a good nap. The trouble with sleep is that no one's quite sure why we actually do it. But a new paper published in the Journal of Neuroscience provides clues pointing towards one possible function – sleep might help to repair support structures in the brain.

Read more

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text
  • Like 2

I think we sleep so that we can have a really good pee in the morning.

• Like 1

It would be fine with me if we could do without sleeping or eating unless we just want to. Both are such a waste of time.

• Like 1

Is it too presumptuous to assume we sleep to regenerate energy?

Of course, my life's motto is "no rest for the wicked."

Then again, i'm a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

... because our bodies need sleep? Stay awake long enough and you'll find the BIG sleep.

... because our bodies need sleep? Stay awake long enough and you'll find the BIG sleep.

After three days I started getting delirious and was not amused.

in sleep states, energy is returned to the body, this energy is referred to as shakti or qi or chi energy. we have 5 staes of consciousness according to scientists. Beta alpha delta theda and gamma. this is why scientists call meditative states sleep states also, and why people have paranormal experiences wile lucid (in between waking and sleep)

Edited by Kureigu

Sleep is essential if you wish to be visited by Santa or the tooth fairy.

It is also, apparently, essential for when aliens come to visit and either kidnap you or do experiments (probing!) on you.

Sleep also appears to be when various people become convinced of their psychic ability of astral projection and other remarkable abilities, seeing the paranormal, etc.

For many people (politicians eminent among them), sleep serves a useful purpose in preventing them acting like idiots 24 hours a day.

• Like 1

:w00t: I love it, Leo!

Sleeping probably is useful for a variety of things, although I think it evolved to keep us still and quite (and hence hidden and relatively safe) during the periods of time we are not evolved for. (Animals specialize in being diurnal or nocturnal and tend to sleep the other times).

No doubt once established natural selection found other things to do during sleep that would be more difficult when the machine is fully running.

I thought one of the major things that happens when we sleep is that short term memories are processed into long term memories. Or, at least the down time helps catch up the processing.