Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman woke from surgery to find moustache

Still Waters

During surgery at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, an anesthesiologist decorated a patient's face with stickers while the patient was unconscious — giving her a black mustache and teardrops under her left eye — and then a nurse's aide snapped her photo.

The 2011 incident has prompted a state investigation and a civil lawsuit by the patient against the hospital and the doctor over the alleged breach of medical privacy.

http://www.latimes.c...0,7915045.story

Three tear drops, eh? She must have been on one crazy killing spree while sedated.

• Like 1

The stories I could tell....

• Like 1

Even if they knew each other and were friends, that's some effed up stuff.

LL I was an X-ray tech, small community hospital, and heard some INCREDIBLY inappropriate statements from a doc who was performing imaging guided gastro-intestinal procedures. Comments on breast size, body shape, etc. With female nurses in the room. This individual was just a nasty person.
  • Like 1

LL I was an X-ray tech, small community hospital, and heard some INCREDIBLY inappropriate statements from a doc who was performing imaging guided gastro-intestinal procedures. Comments on breast size, body shape, etc. With female nurses in the room. This individual was just a nasty person.

I know it happens, for sure! I worked in the medical field for a little over a decade and yes, I've heard some god awful things being said. Even to patients faces. I've seen nurses put gag clothing on patients that were comatose and other cruel things. As a patient, I've had some horrible things done to me as well, when medical staff thought I was under.

I think you and I could write a true horror story.

I was in the hospital for 5 days back in February for a major surgery... They overdosed me on anesthesia and I was unconscious for WAY longer than I should have been so long my parents were starting to panic. Apparently the hospital staff was starting to panic too... I woke up to the nurse who had a hold of my shoulders and was SHOUTING at me "WAKE UP and breathe! No one gets pneumonia on MY shift do you HEAR ME!?" I actually croaked back at her "God, fine!" LOL.

The remainder of my care at that facility was excellent though. haha.

I think if they'd put a moustache and tear stickers on my face while under... I'd have been highly amused. But that's me.

• Like 4

I think if they'd put a moustache and tear stickers on my face while under... I'd have been highly amused. But that's me.

LOL - we must have the same sense of humor then. I'd find it amusing as well if it happened to me.

I don't think it's so much the fact of drawing the mustache and teardrops that is the issue (though that is an issue). I think the bigger issue is that if they are doing such things, it makes one wonder whether they are taking their jobs and responsibilities to the patient seriously. It is from that perspective that I would not like such a thing at all!

• Like 1

I don't think it's so much the fact of drawing the mustache and teardrops that is the issue (though that is an issue). I think the bigger issue is that if they are doing such things, it makes one wonder whether they are taking their jobs and responsibilities to the patient seriously. It is from that perspective that I would not like such a thing at all!

And the fact that they took a photo which they could share and pass around to whomever without the patient's knowledge :huh: . If they have a camera and you are comatose or anethetised while they are deciding to take "fun photos" - well I leave the rest to the imagination, it's not a comforting thought especially knowing that medical staff do have some pretty perverse sense of humour about the human anatomy in general, at least those I have known have.

• Like 1