Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds death of entire elk herd

UM-Bot

Officials are investigating what could have killed more than 100 elk at a ranch in New Mexico.

The alarm was raised when reports of dead elk at a ranch north of Las Vegas reached authorities last week. More than 100 of the animals were believed have died within as little as 24 hours under circumstances that continue to baffle investigators.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/254227/mystery-surrounds-death-of-entire-elk-herd

• Like 1

How sad :( Something they've been feeding on maybe?

They saw something scary and died instandly ! Grimm reaper maybe !

I wonder if they grazed on a poisonous plant?? Not out of the realm of possibility, elk do graze in herds from time to time. Or maybe the rancher put out a batch of bad feed((toxic)(Aflatoxins).

Edited by ancient astronaut

It's sarin gas from Syria, I tell ya. :passifier:

But seriously, I hope they find the cause.

They do no harm and are so beautiful. It's a wicked shame. Makes me think of the stories years ago that you would hear once in a while about the military testing some sort of toxin and suddenly sheep or cattle would die off in the area.

• Like 1

Trapped gasses from the earths crust perhaps? It happens where I am. It could be an indicator of oil.

CDW or chronic wasting disease is a fatal infectious agent that has affected herds of elk, particularly in the abutting state of Colorado.

Probably toxic gas released from the ground. This can happen on rare occasion from lakes when the bottom releases trapped methane or CO2. It can also happen if their is an earthquake or at a volcanic site. The Elks who were lying down at the time could have been overcome by the fumes while the ones that were standing, and thus further from the ground at the time, remained largely unaffected.

It is interesting though

Probably toxic gas released from the ground. This can happen on rare occasion from lakes when the bottom releases trapped methane or CO2. It can also happen if their is an earthquake or at a volcanic site. The Elks who were lying down at the time could have been overcome by the fumes while the ones that were standing, and thus further from the ground at the time, remained largely unaffected.

Possibly, but if that is the case there would likely be other dead animal species found also.

• Like 1

I found the following

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2013/08/29/new-mexico-elk-herd-mysteriously-dies-off/

According to the Albuquerque Journal, officials say it could range from poison to blue tongue disease, but the chief suspect right now is epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD).

Usually found in whitetails, EHD is a viral disease transmitted strictly from insect bites; it cannot be passed directly from one elk to another. Infected animals first lose their appetites about seven days after contracting EHD. The animals become progressively weaker and salivate excessively, and develop a high pulse, respiration rate and fever. Soon after, the animals go into shock and die. The disease is not transmittable to humans.

That was posted Aug 29th

Thank you, Stereologist. It seems epizootic hemorrhagic disease is the suspected cause.

Sounds like the military.

They were at war with them?

• 1 month later...