Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
F3SS

Need a tracks eraser

11 posts in this topic

From probably about 1998 all the way through windows vista or Xp or whatever came before 7 I used a simple little Internet tracks eraser and file cleaner called Webroot Window Washer. It was simple and efficient and I honestly used the same exact program for ten years or more on every version of windows. I'm pretty sure it didn't work on windows 7 and I have lost the file.

So, I have tried numerous tracks erasers including webroots current window washer versions and none seem to do the job right. The old washer would erase everything.

Now, the first thing I'll do is use windows Internet options to erase tracks and history and even that doesn't seem to do all that it used to. I'll do that and then use one of a few different programs to further scrub the tracks but nothing seems to work. I'm running windows 8 and IE10.

After I do all the erasing I can I'll go and type something into the browser and it'll start bring up suggestions and not for websites that begin with those letters but the very ones I have previously been on and they're highlighted a diffent color which says to me that it knows I've been there and that my history hasn't gone anywhere. If I click the drop down arrow on the browser nothing will be there (after an erasing), as it should look, but something ain't right. And I know it doesn't really erase my history because I'll come back to a site like UM and I'm still logged in. With my old program it would've erased all that as if I came to the site for the first time.

I hate that I can't get rid of my tracks and that all those files are piling up somewhere in the computer.

I need help from real people. cNet and software review sites haven't been helping me. I need opinions from people who I know are real. Not company shills or professional reviewers. Currently the program I use to erase track is Glarys Utilities and it's a good program but I'm nit getting what I want like I did in the past.

Or give it to me straight and tell that that windows 8 and IE10 are storing all my info for the NSA and I'm screwed.

Thanks....

Edit: cookies and history certainly appear to be gone but since I'm still logged into websites after an erasing, well you know. Just wanted to add that I do know to look for cookies.

Also, if I do a google search after an erasing websites that I have previously been on ore highlighted purple, knowing that I've been there before and that even when I'm logged out of my google account.

... Just trying to be proficient. Can't have too much info when looking for pc solutions.

Edited by F3SS

From probably about 1998 all the way through windows vista or Xp or whatever came before 7 I used a simple little Internet tracks eraser and file cleaner called Webroot Window Washer. It was simple and efficient and I honestly used the same exact program for ten years or more on every version of windows. I'm pretty sure it didn't work on windows 7 and I have lost the file.

So, I have tried numerous tracks erasers including webroots current window washer versions and none seem to do the job right. The old washer would erase everything.

*Snip*

Well, I use Firefox and I can uncheck "Remember my browsing and download history" and "Remember search and form history".

That and CCleaner works for me.......

1 person likes this

From the news reports, I gather that no security software that might exist can really be trusted for this sort of thing. Otherwise I approve of Euphorbia's suggestion but would not rely on it absolutely.

The only really safe way to destroy data is to destroy the disk -- I am not even sure a hard reformat is enough, although it probably is.

The best course is to never put on the computer things that you wouldn't want to be introduced into court <grin>.

(Oh, one other thing -- have you looked into virtual disk drives -- they have their problems but for temporary storage it might be what you want.)

From the news reports, I gather that no security software that might exist can really be trusted for this sort of thing. Otherwise I approve of Euphorbia's suggestion but would not rely on it absolutely.

The only really safe way to destroy data is to destroy the disk -- I am not even sure a hard reformat is enough, although it probably is.

The best course is to never put on the computer things that you wouldn't want to be introduced into court <grin>.

(Oh, one other thing -- have you looked into virtual disk drives -- they have their problems but for temporary storage it might be what you want.)

If I wanted to completely remove everything from a disk (destroy it), I would use my magnet, a very powerful magnet the size of a brick that is very difficult to separate from anything attracted to it.......but that's a last resort......used only if I am throwing away a hard drive.

Of course. Buy some external drives and store your sensitive data on them, then destroy them as you describe when the time comes.

I think I have tried cccleaner. I'm not into anything illegal and I know nothing on a computer is ever truly deleted and I'm not looking to hide or secure any files. If i did i would use an external drive. I simply want to erase my Internet history and all hidden files like I used to be able to so easily. I don't want explorer remembering which sites I've been to and I mostly want to be completely logged out of all sites I have visited. For instance, after an erasing I can go back to my banks website and as soon as I type in the first couple letters of my username it brings up an auto suggestion meaning it knows exactly what name I had previously typed in. It never used to be like that. I just feel like it is all so unsecured. Maybe it is time to try another browser but I've been on explorer for ever and change is hard lol. Besides, I feel like another browser won't change how efficient it's tracks are erased. Cookies are all certainly deleted after an erasing but there's something lurking that remembers everything. With all the marketing and spying I just think they make it hard on purpose these days.

As for virtual drives for files; I have used them but I doubt they're any more secure than any other physical internal drive. Really, they're just another digital file in the computer.

I think I have tried cccleaner. I'm not into anything illegal and I know nothing on a computer is ever truly deleted and I'm not looking to hide or secure any files. If i did i would use an external drive. I simply want to erase my Internet history and all hidden files like I used to be able to so easily. I don't want explorer remembering which sites I've been to and I mostly want to be completely logged out of all sites I have visited. For instance, after an erasing I can go back to my banks website and as soon as I type in the first couple letters of my username it brings up an auto suggestion meaning it knows exactly what name I had previously typed in. It never used to be like that. I just feel like it is all so unsecured. Maybe it is time to try another browser but I've been on explorer for ever and change is hard lol. Besides, I feel like another browser won't change how efficient it's tracks are erased. Cookies are all certainly deleted after an erasing but there's something lurking that remembers everything. With all the marketing and spying I just think they make it hard on purpose these days.

As for virtual drives for files; I have used them but I doubt they're any more secure than any other physical internal drive. Really, they're just another digital file in the computer.

I think your bank can track you by your IP address. I recently went to Washington and while there I looked up my house payment bill to make sure of the amount, and then tried logging into my bank which asked me if I was on a different computer. I had to answer several questions to finally get logged in.

Netflix always knows me as well......

1 person likes this

I think your bank can track you by your IP address. I recently went to Washington and while there I looked up my house payment bill to make sure of the amount, and then tried logging into my bank which asked me if I was on a different computer. I had to answer several questions to finally get logged in.

Netflix always knows me as well......

Oh I know in the big picture I can't hide but I just take comfort in not making it easy plus I just love knowing all unnecessary files and disk space is cleared. I like a clean machine man and it mostly is. It's just that it used to be so easy. Now I need ten different programs and a hundred mouse clicks to almost achieve what I used to with so much ease. I trust the security measures of most major websites and bank sites but maybe I'm just a little neurotic about all this.

I don't really worry much about security and not at all about privacy. I subscribe to a malware checker and have a couple of utilities on my system for cleaning and fixing things, and have then scheduled to run once a week in the middle of the night.

I think the history and similar services are helpful and I can't imagine turning them off. I hate junk mail and am accordingly rigorous about reporting any I get as such. This has tended to keep it off my incoming. Plus of course I don't give out my email address except when there is good reason and assurances that it is not sold (although of course there is no guarantee they won't lie).

You seem to have a fetish for having a clean hard drive; disk fragmentation utilities usually clean out junk.

1 person likes this

I use a free program caled "Eraser" that you might try. With it you can erase files or erase unused space on your hard drive. In the 'settings' window the eraser method I use is 'Gutmann 35 passes', which means it program overwrites the file 35 times with random bits of data.

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

1 person likes this

I don't know that it's a fetish Frank but I do get stuck on finding computer solutions that are hard to find when I know they are out there. Same with hobbies and games but it isn't fetish because I do move on. I get a creative bug sometimes when I just have to make something or build something and I feel like it'll be my new thing. I'll go out and buy everything I need to do it and then I'll do it once and I'm done indefinitely but I don't rest until I've tried. Same with games. Sometimes I just have to get my hands on a certain video game. When I do I often play it for a little bit and one day I just never get back to it. But my urge was satisfied. My shelf is full of unbeaten PS3 games and it takes a rare game to pull me in till the end. Maybe there's a name for that part of my personality.

I use a free program caled "Eraser" that you might try. With it you can erase files or erase unused space on your hard drive. In the 'settings' window the eraser method I use is 'Gutmann 35 passes', which means it program overwrites the file 35 times with random bits of data.

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Thanks man, I haven't heard of that one. I'm on an iPad now but I'll try it and let you know eventually.