Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fox with mange, weird dog, or...?

Agent D. Scully

I was walking through the woods in the absolute middle of nowhere of West Virginia with my boyfriend, and we happened to glance over to the side of our path, and saw something just a little larger than my twenty pound Yorkie/Cocker spaniel running through the woods. My dog didn't bark at it, just kinda tensed up a little and scooted behind us. It was a bit too far to see many features, but it was grey, seemed hairless, and it ran on it's back legs and drug its front legs in front of it. Like, not quite how a chimp would run, somewhat more graceful, almost. My boyfriend and I just kind of looked at each other and looked back to the creature. The thing disappeared into the brush and we hauled *** back to my house. I'd say it was a fox or something with mange, but it was running really strangely, so I dunno. Just moved in here and not totally familiar with the wildlife yet.

• Like 1

I'd say it was a fox or something with mange, but it was running really strangely

That was my thought reading your description. It is easy enough to acquire an injury in the woods and end up dragging a leg or two.

I'm a woodsy sort, farther north than you (New England), but not radically different fauna. I've only seen one mange-y fox in several years. I doubt they last long; maybe just as well.