Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Patriotism or vandalism?

spartan max2

So some people have been spray painting over speeding cameras to block its view.

So what do you think? patriots standing up for people rights to not be spied on? or simply vandals who are making the streets less safe ?

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/patriotism-vandalism-freedom-fighters-spraypaint-speeding-cameras/#.Ui4IZo7D-P8

speed-camera-vandalism-465x620.jpg?resize=600%2C250

More information on speeding cameras in Florida a judged ruled them unconstitutional.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/03/22/florida-judge-ruling-finds-red-light-cameras-unconstitutional/

• Like 2

I did not know that anybody had the right to break the law, and that includes speed limits.

If you don't like them get politically active to abolish them.

Edit: sometimes I hate auto-corrections....

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

idk about the whole spraying over them thing.

But I do know that I really don't like them simply because when the highway is empty I feel like I should be allowed to speed.

• Like 4

Interesting that these cameras are becoming widespread in the States and Britain but are unknown in Vietnam, where nobody obeys traffic laws much (they routinely run yellow lights, cross the direction divider, jaywalk, go the wrong way on one-way streets, speed, and probably kill as many people as guns do in the States).

I think maybe Vietnam should look into them, although I can imagine the propaganda coming out of Orange County, California ("little Saigon") if they did.

But I do know that I really don't like them simply because when the highway is empty I feel like I should be allowed to speed.

This is the difference between a police attitude of enforcing the letter of the law and a police attitude of enforcing just its spirit when the situation is appropriate. The former is a result of having too many lawyers, so that the police have to resort to relying on the letter and bet bit in the ass if they use judgment.

Interesting that these cameras are becoming widespread in the States and Britain but are unknown in Vietnam, where nobody obeys traffic laws much (they routinely run yellow lights, cross the direction divider, jaywalk, go the wrong way on one-way streets, speed, and probably kill as many people as guns do in the States).

I think maybe Vietnam should look into them, although I can imagine the propaganda coming out of Orange County, California ("little Saigon") if they did.

Every tribe needs a totem that makes it feel free. The Americans have guns, the British Saturday Night Binge Drinking, the Germans unlimited speed on the Autobahn, the French rioting every now and then, the Italians cheating on taxes and .........(fill in as needed).

• Like 3

Every tribe needs a totem that makes it feel free. The Americans have guns, the British Saturday Night Binge Drinking, the Germans unlimited speed on the Autobahn, the French rioting every now and then, the Italians cheating on taxes and .........(fill in as needed).

I didn't know that until now. I think we should adopt that policy. For the outskirts and highways at night. Which I assume Is what the autobahn is.

Edited by spartan max2

I didn't know that until now. I think we should adopt that policy. For the outskirts and highways at night. Which I assume Is what the autobahn is.

And give up guns?

The price Germans pay for that is high: The strictest automobile safety checks in the world. As little as a cracked window can get you car taken out of traffic.

And give up guns?

The price Germans pay for that is high: The strictest automobile safety checks in the world. As little as a cracked window can get you car taken out of traffic.

Give up guns? hahahahahahah lol nope.

I just wanted both.

• Like 1

How is driving a "constitutional right"? It's a privilege, and you should respect the rules of the road. If nothing else, so no one gets hurt in an accident. That being said, there are also ticket quotas that cops and law enforcement officials have to meet, so it does, and quite often is abused. I don't know, I'm all for privacy and the government staying out of my business, but this seems a little too far....

as much as i hate spying on population, and goverment intrusion, speed cameras are not that.

I have to agree with that.

• Like 5

yes, it is also A LOT harder to get driver lisence there. and half blind 80 years old with reaction time of a sloath would not drive there. american problem is not condition of a car, but of a driver. thesame problem we have with gun owners. not guns

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

You've never heard of the autobahn?! I've been dreaming of it since I was 12 at least. I knew a Slovakian dude some time ago who has driven it. He said it's exhilarating and any drivers going under 100mph was a hazard. 120, 130, 150mph is expected. He also told me all the things Q said plus that there are huge penalties for running out of gas. Anyone or anything stopped or not hauling ass is considered a danger, rightfully so. Why do you think Mercedes and BMW make such top notch fast rides? They're made for the autobahn.

Also, until around a decade or so ago I'm pretty sure Montana highways had no speed limits.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 3

You've never heard of the autobahn?! I've been dreaming of it since I was 12 at least. I knew a Slovakian dude some time ago who has driven it. He said it's exhilarating and any drivers going under 100mph was a hazard. 120, 130, 150mph is expected. He also told me all the things Q said plus that there are huge penalties for running out of gas. Anyone or anything stopped or not hauling ass is considered a danger, rightfully so. Why do you think Mercedes and BMW make such top notch fast rides? They're made for the autobahn.

Also, until around a decade or so ago I'm pretty sure Montana highways had no speed limits.

Its now on my bucket list to by my Suzuki Hayabusa and drive it on the autobahn ! :gun:

• Like 3

I hear them Hayabusa engines are the shznit. I seen this tiny car with a hayabusa engine on YouTube once obliterate an unexpecting muscle car on a drag strip. It was seriously quick.

• Like 2

I hear them Hayabusa engines are the shznit. I seen this tiny car with a hayabusa engine on YouTube once obliterate an unexpecting muscle car on a drag strip. It was seriously quick.

LOL, don't let my husband hear you say that! :)

i live in a lage city, our roads are 30mph rearly 40mpg, i used to be in car repear\selling buissnes, most accedents here are not serious, more or less fenderbenders, with relatively low serious injury rate. when i pass by body shops outside our city, most of the damaged cars parked by body shops waiting on estimate or repair are close to totaled, or very badly damaged. cuz their roads are empty, and ppl drive there faster. idk but i' rather get in slower speed accident that in high speed accident. i,ve seen enough cars with blood all over, in few wrecks on our lot we even found teeth.

• Like 1

Nobody complains about speed cameras in Finland, we'd laugh our asses off for them being "unpatriotic" or unconstitutional, seriously. As a pedestrian of the city area I think it's just great if you make people think twice about speeding. You should go Germany or wherever if you want to speed legally. I'd imagine countries like Vietnam had something better to spend their money on than to make sure people dont fool around. Like education, employing people, building infrastructure, keeping the wheels running... we rich western countries can afford to fool around with our money till the economy bubble bursts because we're the architects, can spend it all on bureaucracy and let bankers take big cuts "without our notice" and on all the stupid-ass stuff... I'd imagine the vietnamese know to value money a bit more than that, heard it's a more strict culture money-wise.

LOL, don't let my husband hear you say that! :)

Oh trust me I was not liking what I saw. I own an LS1 Camaro z28 and when I first got it I was always youtubing Camaro race vids. When I seen that little japanese 2 door spec with a tiny engine blow the pants off a car like mine it did not feel good.

• Like 1

Oh trust me I was not liking what I saw. I own an LS1 Camaro z28 and when I first got it I was always youtubing Camaro race vids. When I seen that little japanese 2 door spec with a tiny engine blow the pants off a car like mine it did not feel good.

While in Germany I used to have a little Fiat Uno turbo with the complete Hoermann conversion kit (1.8 atm turbo, plastic doors and hood, lightweight interior) and retrofit to look like a Uno 75 i.e., it was only about 190 HP (in about 1200 pounds) but not even the Police cruiser from the SP could keep up with me on the straight (never mind when the road got windy), and that was before they got those castrated Fords they had in the 90s. The funny thing about it was: all street legal.

Was fun while it lasted.

Twas lots of fun....

• Like 3

So you think the law applies to you only at certain times? Fascinating.

• Like 1

So some people have been spray painting over speeding cameras to block its view.

So what do you think? patriots standing up for people rights to not be spied on? or simply vandals who are making the streets less safe ?

http://thelibertaria...s/#.Ui4IZo7D-P8

speed-camera-vandalism-465x620.jpg?resize=600%2C250

More information on speeding cameras in Florida a judged ruled them unconstitutional.

http://www.theblaze....constitutional/

I'm of a few minds about this...

I really hate the fact that there are so many public cameras. It sucks. However, it is way more cost effective on tax dollars than hiring a ton more cops to sit around with radar all day every day to make sure folks aren't breaking the law. Speeding might be what some consider minor law breaking, but those laws are in place for good reason. Personally, I rarely speed- I act like every car on the road is an undercover and every structure might have a camera on it. Cept in Chicago, I would be smeared all over the road if I didn't keep up with traffic.

I don't think use of cameras in itself is unconstitutional. However, sometimes how those cameras are set up for filming of the car and not the driver and how the evidence produced by cameras sometimes is processed through the court system kind of is.

The sprayspainting is indeed vandalism- defacing public property. And that's wrong. I don't think it's patriotic to do it. It costs tax dollars to fix it, try to catch and prosecute the person doing it. There are other more legal ways to protest such a thing.

• Like 1

I had a feeling it would come to this.

The Red Light Cameras are a complete ripoff, and pun intended, Highway Robbery.

Speeding cameras are almost legitimate, but not quite.

I have no problems with the tools of the Highway Robbers being vandalized. They threw tea into Boston Harbor, and burned draft board offices back in the 60's, so I say why not this?

The government has no problem at all violating any law it pleases, including the Fourth Amendment and Habeas Corpus. Why should citizens respect bad laws?

• Like 4

So you think the law applies to you only at certain times? Fascinating.

Speed limits obviously have a purpose. But there are times when its more of an obstruction then it is serving its purpose. We cant have people going 70 in the suburbs no matter what time.

But when your on an empty straight away highway and the speed limit is 65mhp no one around in sight it does not seem unreasonable that you should not be able to increase your speed.

If you have ever driven a car then you should understand what im talking about. No one can honestly say that they have never speed.

• Like 4

I had a feeling it would come to this.

The Red Light Cameras are a complete ripoff, and pun intended, Highway Robbery.

Speeding cameras are almost legitimate, but not quite.

I have no problems with the tools of the Highway Robbers being vandalized. They threw tea into Boston Harbor, and burned draft board offices back in the 60's, so I say why not this?

The government has no problem at all violating any law it pleases, including the Fourth Amendment and Habeas Corpus. Why should citizens respect bad laws?

Those examples do make a good point.

• Like 2