Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Random Flash of White Bright Light

Dewdropsofbliss

So I'm trying to figure out exactly what's going on... or what it is exactly that I have seen, and I've been reading a lot and have yet to come up with any kind of answer. I'm the type of person who has to have an explanation for everything. So if something unordinary occurs, I always have some type of explanation to explain it away. I guess so I'm not as scared... Just always been a habit of mine. But this... I can't explain away. And it's bugging me. And I need opinions... Because I have no idea whats going on.

I'll start from the beginning. A few weeks ago, where I live, the power went out. Not just in my home, but to the entire town. ((I live in a small town in the middle of no where.)) So my family and I were all sitting in the living room on the couches, my parents on the main couch against the wall, and my brother and I on the love seat, with the dining area behind us. We're talking, and I had told them that I was about to go to bed. Before I could even start to get up, there was a random flash of light right behind my head. It started small, but then... kind of exploded I guess, filling the whole room, with a bright white light. And it didn't hurt my eyes, I didn't squint. It was like looking at the color white. My heart stopped, and everyone had seen it. My dad jumped up freaking out, and I had a hard time moving. When I finally did, I instantly started thinking of something to explain this. The windows in the dining area face the storage units in the back, and they were closed. It was like 11 at night, and no one was out there, so it wasn't head lights. It wasn't lightening, because it wasn't storming. The only thing I could come up with, was maybe the power temporarily turned back on, but it only turned on the dining room light temporarily, and shut off again. I couldn't explain why nothing else came on. And when the power did finally come on, I couldn't explain why that light was turned off at the switch. But I went with it any way.

A few days later, I was home alone, and I was playing my Dance Central game on my Xbox Kinect. I had been home alone for a few hours, and I get really caught up in that game. I was in Break it down mode, and I was nailing all the moves. When I got into recap, it was telling me I was getting them all wrong. I started to get really frustrated. It was like it wasn't reading my moves anymore. When I looked up at the top right square where it shows me my figure, I realized it wasn't reading me anymore. It was reading a figure behind me, sitting on the corner of the couch. It was a perfect human figure, both legs on the ground, its head leaned back, one arm on the arm rest, and the other on the back of the couch. At that point, I turned my game off, and couldn't play it for a few days. I didn't have a way to explain that one. I hadn't sat there at all that night. I was home alone. How did it pick up a human figure on my couch? I didn't get it.

So I tried to push it off... ignore it. But this morning, I was getting ready to leave for work. My mom and I were in the kitchen, and I was grabbing my lunch bag and I was telling her good bye, when there was a big ball of light over the kitchen sink. It did the same thing as the one the other night did, and exploded, and filled the room. It didn't hurt my eyes, it was like looking at the color. And then it vanished, just as quickly as it come. My mother seen it too, her face dropped, and she looked straight to me. This time, I had no explanation. There is no light bulb over my sink. So it wasn't a surge of light from the light bulb. Nothing from a window. This literally came out of no where, right above our kitchen sink. And I'm at a loss... I have no way to explain what happened this morning. But now that I see this is going to keep occurring... I need to find out what this is. Anything anyone can input would be wonderful. I'm at a complete loss. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

• Like 4

Maybe it's a ghost or spirit trying to get your attention? I read a book once about spirit guides, and a lady said she asked her spirit guide to do something to prove it was there and it made a big bright ball of light. Maybe not exactly what you're describing, but I definately think whatever it is is trying to get your attention.

• Like 1

It probably was supernatural unless maybe lightening struck your house and came flying out of an electrical outlet, but that seems improbable. :)

dunno... cool though

you should pray and ask for answers, ask to be shown more, I bet you will be

• Like 1

hmm. interesting story and welcome to the forum :)

based on what you are relating, i am going to take a stab in the dark here lol and say it might, just might be some sort of orb..

is it et related? maybe..the power going out does indicate a negative surge, which they are known for. to pinpoint it, tho, you need to do a little more investigating, okay? anytime you see this light, you look at everything around it, notice any changes, even slight, in that area

also, if you have animals, note their behavior during these appearances. any other 'oddities' that occur now that there has been some sort of 'connection' should be noted. i mean, i cannot say if it was extra terrestrial, some spirit, or everyone's eyes going crazy lol, but you can look for other evidence and it might help you to at least get a handle on what kind of thing this might be :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i have read your post with great interest and was keen to reply to you! I live in North West England and moved in to a new house about 2 years ago. On the very first night while in bed, I turned over and glanced above me and saw a small patch of twinkling lights. This puzzled me but the hubby and I put it down to an unknown house and things just being different. A few weeks later my son had a sleepover with a few of his friends for his birthday and I was upstairs in bed alone as my hubby was away. The boy were makong alot of noise so I went to tell them to be quiet. I then got back into bed, closed my eyes and immediately as I did so, a huge flash of bright white light went off in the room. I was very confused as to what it might have been bit again I tried not to think about it too mich. A few days went by and me, my husband and my daughter were in my bedroom when all of a sudden right behind my daughter was a tiny burst of light which seemed to somehow explode in the room causing a huge flash! I saw it with my own eyes. It started IN the room. This happened a further two times that evening. Later when me and the hubby went to bed we decided to actually attempt to speak to whatever was causing this to happen. I sat up in bed and said out loud "is anyone there? What do you want from us? No sooner did the words leave my mouth there was 3 rapid bright flashes in the room much like a strobe light or quick snap camera. This terrified the hell out of us and we got no sleep at all that night. The light continued to flash through the night around 8 or 9 times accompanied by some strange fuzzy electrical type sounds ( much like a busy phone line with interference) the whole situation escalated until we were so scared we had to spend a few nights at my sister house. There were bangs and hysterical laughter in the house. My hair got tugged and there was random knocking on internal doors. The bed would also shake slightly. Eventually, after a lot of searching we were put in touch with a wonderful lady who travelled to our house to help. That's how desperate we had become! She used shamanic techniques and dowsing along with a profound psychic ability to clear our house. She spent an hour going round clearing the whole place and informed us that our house is located on an energy line but also a negative energy line which was created by a living human long ago. Spirits that had passed on were getting trapped on the line and were going endlessly round until we moved in. Apparently they were attracted to my daughter and myself and were desperately trying to call out for help. Kathy was able to clear the energy line and send all the spirits on their way. It took around 10 minutes for them all to pass over and kathy then closed down the connection. I can honestly say that we have had no further experience of the paranormal in tge house in over 16 month much to our utter relief! I have never had any problems like this before and hope never to again! It's worth mentioning that we also had the house blessed by our local priest afterwards. If I'm honest, the whole thing has left me with so many questions and i do struggle to put it into context in my everyday life! I hope this helps you find some comfort that you are not alone? Maybe you can comment if you find out more about this "thing" take care x

Edited by steenobyrne
  • Like 3

heat lightning, transformer outside sparking and the contrast of that to the darkness making it seem brighter, a dream

What caused the power to go out?

If its a white ball of light it's most probably an angel... I see white lights all the time also I seem a white orb of light but this had an auror like heat rays round it with gold bits in flying round me like a fairys on zelda that's the only way I can explain it. lol

• 2 months later...

Hi

We have a media room that has one window, covered, and one door.

Occasionally we see a bright flash of light coming from one side of the room.

There is nothing right there to explain it; though there is an electrical outlet with nothing plugged into it.

The light is like that of a flash bulb. Very bright and it momentarily lights the room.

No noise, no forewarning, and it is totally unpredictable (to us!).

No circuits get tripped and there are no marks on the outlet that is near the area.

While I have seen ghost (both the 'Hollywood' type (white, transparent, floating and a black sharply outlined shadow ((I call him Fred)), I attribute most of this to my TBI and simply a Misfire...

I'd attach a poem about it, but first see what type of response I get!

Take care

• Like 2

Have seen similar things sitting in my frontroom in Central London. Me and an ex one night sitting in front of TV suddely were faced with a bright white flash which illuminated the room to perfect white (only was i can described it) My mum also said she has seen flashes but thought they might be some sort of reflection through the windows. I wasn't to persuaded on that...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have seen this too. At first I thought I was going crazy when I saw it cause I couldnt catch it fast enough. One night at work I happened to see it on the monitor at work out of the corner of my eye. Like you im not scared of it. Just more curious to what it is. I do believe it has something to so with the supernatural. What I don't know. Just a gut feeling. I have been trying to learn about the colors around the human soul but I dont have anyone to teach me. I think it has something to so with that. No its not a transformer. I was cury my self to what it was when I ran across ur blog. Thanks now I know its not me. What it means I dont know?

• Like 1

I have seen this too. At first I thought I was going crazy when I saw it cause I couldnt catch it fast enough. One night at work I happened to see it on the monitor at work out of the corner of my eye. Like you im not scared of it. Just more curious to what it is. I do believe it has something to so with the supernatural. What I don't know. Just a gut feeling. I have been trying to learn about the colors around the human soul but I dont have anyone to teach me. I think it has something to so with that. No its not a transformer. I was cury my self to what it was when I ran across ur blog. Thanks now I know its not me. What it means I dont know?

I have seen this too. At first I thought I was going crazy when I saw it cause I couldnt catch it fast enough. One night at work I happened to see it on the monitor at work out of the corner of my eye. Like you im not scared of it. Just more curious to what it is. I do believe it has something to so with the supernatural. What I don't know. Just a gut feeling. I have been trying to learn about the colors around the human soul but I dont have anyone to teach me. I think it has something to so with that. No its not a transformer. I was curious my self to what it was when I ran across ur blog. Thanks now I know its not me. What it means I dont know?

• Like 2

That is super cool! I've only seen white light like this before if it surrounding a being, and most of the time I see that in my minds eye. As for the apparition, it is very likely that the energy that it was giving off was messing with your electrical devices, this happens all the time when people are ghost hunting. That being said, I would definitely be freaked out if this happened to me. Even if I am someone who tries to find the paranormal for myself. It's almost like an invasion of privacy when they do that in your own home. I have just created a blog dedicated to experiences and places with paranormal activity, you should come check it out. It is still very new but I plan on posting things multiple times a week!paranormalvivification.wordpress.com, come follow I am sure you won't be disappointed!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi im new to paranormal i used to laugh at it not really belive in it but when i was 19 and recently

Strange things happen i will start with recent i was watching tv in the living room with my mom my dad already went to bed anyhow she didnt notice but i seen a quick flash of white light kinda above me were i was sitting i looked up like huh? It freaked me out and a few days ago i was about to clean my glasses sometimes i say things outloud withought thinking i was like i wonder what was on my glasses i heard clearly as if someone was standing next to me replying yes me to i looked around like wtf i went to the living room and asked my mom if she said anything and she said no it happened a few times were i heard a faint call of my name and asked my mom if it was her but it wasnt now when i was 19 i used to feel not so alone in my room like i felt another energy kinda next to me but i didnt see anything when i looked i heard a whisper of my name once before i fell asleep and even felt a tug on my blanket as well a spirit even tried contacting me in my sleep i felt it touch me before i eventually woke up it felt soft light as air and cool and i felt it slip out of my hand is it normal physically feeling a spirit touch ur skin even in sleep? I looked it up but all it gave me was incubus attacks 😳 thing is i dont remember much just when i woke up and how it felt leaving my hand and how i freaked when i woke up now back to 20 years old i had my bedside table light turn on byitself in day time at night a few times a door opened on its own and sometimes when i have my small dog in my room he looks out of my bedroom door sometimes to watch my other dog but also at times when my other dog is laying in my room he even growled at my wall which i giggled at the time i even seen feet in the kitchen once like shadow but my mom wasnt up and my dad was at work but i could of sworn i felt someone there its hard for me to easily fall asleep cause when my eyes close i seem to feel like somethin is there and look out my bedroom door 😳... i even felt a weight once before like someone laying down next to me in bed..i only made an account cause i need help i wanna figure out who is with me but im scared i never been harmed but what if i have a mix of good and bad spirits thinking about it makes my chest tighten more about the bad spirits..i need an answer im a healthy young women which is why i belive in it why are they trying to contact me in the first place? Sorry for this being long but about everything that happened im kinda scared...😓... what the heck was that bright white light i seen a few days ago also?

• Like 2

I hate to post to such an old post but since there has been recent activity I'd like to add my experience for the record.

Around 2006 my girlfriend at the time and I were laying in bed talking late at night. We were on the second story of the apartment complex, the blinds were shut, and all the lights were off. During our conversation we both witnessed a white light appeared in front of the closet door. The closet door was a very dull wood incapable of reflecting anything too well. Anyway the white light started as a small speck smaller than an inch and expanded in all directions in the form of a inward curved diamond to about 6 feet tall and two feet wide and suddenly shrank back to a single point before completely disappearing. The whole experience lasted less than a second. The odd thing was that the light was extremely bright but it did not seem to illuminate the room or the space immediately surrounding it. I think about the experience occasionally, which leads me to do an internet search on the topic to see if I might find any answers. At the very least its good to see we aren't alone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

About a year ago I found this message board while trying to search this topic. I've come back here to tell my story after this topic came up with a friend of mine this evening. My friend experienced this while in my presence about a year ago. Leading me to tell him my story, and leading me to this forum as well.

About 15 years ago while a high school student, some friends and I were up to no good. It was late and we were looking for entertainment. There is an area along a trail not far from (at the time) a slightly rural road, where railroad tracks once existed. The tracks/trail run perpendicular to the road. There was a church that is adjacent to the trail, with a large parking lot next to it. Back then from our "expeditions" to the area, it appeared obvious to us that homeless people occupied a small area in a bamboo thicket, way in the back, down this trail where railroad tracks once existed. We never saw the people that we thought lived there. We decided to go on a late night mission, see what we could find, get scared, have some fun, maybe fight a bum or two. These were our thoughts back then.

We parked the car in the lot, hop'd a fence, and made the 80-100 yard trek from the fence by the parking lot, to the location on the trail where the bamboo thickets were.

It was dark, we were goofing off, having fun, but found no colony of freak show vagabonds in the area like we had imagined there would be.

After a while at the location, I began to notice a light in the opposite direction of the road, coming down the trail. It seemed like maybe a vehicle coming down the trail toward us. It was very slow coming, I pointed it out to my friends, as to which a couple of them responded that I was "trippin'", but as it slowly got closer, they realized there was indeed, what appeared to be a vehicle coming toward us.

So it gets close enough to where we were at, it was beginning to light up our faces, we take off laughing and giggling thinking its a farmer or someone just looking out over the property. We race back to the fence and hop it, putting us back in the parking lot next to our vehicle.

We're all crouched down watching this light slowly move toward where we were just standing moments before. It was a very bright, almost directional but ambient light. It was like it was fixed, like up high as if on a tractor, but absolutely no noise, no movement or vibration. Any light fixed to a vehicle moving down that trail would move in a way that would make it obvious that it was some sort of vehicle. It honestly reminded me of like a light from a train, it was up that high. Was not a person holding a light, motorcycle, or vehicle that we could see or hear. But! There was something that the light did seem attached to. Again, no noise!

So we're in awe, and all kinda frantically whispering among ourselves, poking at eachother trying to explain it, when it slowly starts receding the same way it came. Like slowly just started backing up, very steady. The light still shining same direction, but going back down the trail from which it came in the same slow manner.

We freak out at this point, and all pile back into the vehicle, literally peeling out of the parking lot!

There are five of us in the vehicle, an older Jeep Cherokee. I'm sitting in the rear middle seat, and we are driving back on the road after coming out of the parking lot, where it crosses back perpendicular to the trail.

Literally as we are crossing that plane, where trail meets road, there is a very bright flash from within the vehicle. It came from behind the three of us in the rear seat. If you blinked you missed it, but it was inside the vehicle with us. About a second goes by, after to which no one seemed to respond to it, my friend driving blurts out "What the **** was that???"

I'm like, "You saw that too?" (I don't know how you couldn't have seen it, it was right there inside the car with us.)

So I said it was a camera flash, there's gotta be like a disposable camera in the back behind the seat that went off as we were driving.

I turned around and am digging in the back. I looked and looked and looked... There was no camera or anything back there that would make a flash like what we saw inside that Jeep. Like a camera flash is the only way to describe it.

Fast forward about 14 years later. I'm walking out of my kitchen one night to the back patio area and backyard where there is a large overhang spanning the rear of the house.

At that moment, as if from above the overhang, a flash! And this was so obvious it cast a shadow, because it was above the overhang, lighting up a good portion of the backyard. Like lightning!

I walk out from under the overhang and look toward the night sky. Not a cloud in sight! I instantly remembered that night 14 years earlier out there and in the Jeep.

About a week later I had friends over hang'n out. It was in the evening once again, and I'm standing out back by the kitchen window, when my friend runs inside to the fridge to grab a beer.

I hear him from inside say "What the ****!?"

I look in through the kitchen window, and see him looking around the corner into the front living room. I really paid no mind to what he was doing.

He comes back out, and after about a minute or so he says to me "I just saw the weirdest thing... There was a really bright flash of light from inside the living room, and when I looked there was nothing there..."

I nearly choked on my beer! I smiled ear to ear and said "Let me tell you something!!!" So I told my friends this story, that was the first time I had ever really talked about that.

I won't lie, it made me a little nervous to talk about it at first, because shortly after another friend said he experienced the same thing, three times in one night on his way home soon after.

I can't tell you what it is, but if you ever experience it, you will know it! It can be so quick and bright its almost blue. Looks like lightning or like a camera flash, and it occupies the same space as you, with no logical source.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody,

Awesome to get know your stories, you made me feel less crazy :w00t:

it is the first time i share mine without fear of being ridiculed.

I was about 5 years old holding my father hand walking on a dirt road near our house, has we walk i see ahead a light pop out a nowhere at ground level, small ball like 10cm in diameter and bright white, sprinting in my direction, as she gets in front of me, at eye level, i get scared and hide behind my dad leg, and in that instant before i start to move sideways she explodes, like a camera flash but brighter and without the burning sensation.

The whole thing happened in mere seconds, curious or not in that instant i though i saw an animal (horse like with wings) standing in his back legs and going up in the air, i dont know, maybe it was a the way my toddler brain processed the info, its nuts i know, but it's like that. Back then my dad said that he only saw the final flash.

I have no clue till today on what that was, but i am happy that i was not the only one experiencing this phenomena.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for a meaning of what I see tonight in my bedroom, I thought at first it was my roomate playing tricks but then I thought even if it was it was imposible to make my entire room bright like a camera fash going off, it happend twice tonight , it was so weird , I look at my bedroom door and was close so my roomate didnt do it, I thought I was seeing things , maybe going crazy??? LOL after an hour or so I decided to look in the internet thinking I wont find anything , but surprise I was when I find this page and all of this stories , wow I dont feel crazy anymore but now am curious ,confuse, and I wish someone can tell me why this is happend, I remember seeing some flash before ,long time ago that make me look twice but I discarted really fast thinking was just a reflection of some light on something, ...lol

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have also seen the light...I was washing dishes a coupoe months ago while my roommate was talking to me. My kitchen and living room are basically one room.   About 6 foot away from me the flash happened...I could point at the exact location of its existence but it wasn't coming from anything at all, it was just there; in my living room, near no lights or windows, about a foot from the wall.  We both saw the light, it lasted only a second but it seemed that time paused for that second so that we got a good look at what was happening.  That was is though, no sound, no marks, no evidence that it had occurred.  We saw it and freaked out for a few hours trying to make sense of the situation.  There wasn't anything exciting after that, it was a one time thing.  

• Like 2

It seems that someone is talking to himself here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Krayphysh said:

I have also seen the light...I was washing dishes a coupoe months ago while my roommate was talking to me. My kitchen and living room are basically one room.   About 6 foot away from me the flash happened...I could point at the exact location of its existence but it wasn't coming from anything at all, it was just there; in my living room, near no lights or windows, about a foot from the wall.  We both saw the light, it lasted only a second but it seemed that time paused for that second so that we got a good look at what was happening.  That was is though, no sound, no marks, no evidence that it had occurred.  We saw it and freaked out for a few hours trying to make sense of the situation.  There wasn't anything exciting after that, it was a one time thing.  

That description was spot on to what I saw.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

two years ago when I was 13 I had a similar experience, I have a small drawer which I keep my pajamas in and I was getting ready for bed when I opened the drawer a very bright white light just came from inside the drawer and I closed the drawer really fast and I was so scared to open it again but when I did the light was gone. It was the weirdest thing ever and I don't really believe in paranormal or supernatural things.

• Like 1

My friend and I were watching youtube in my room and had the video paused. Today we had been to a hobby shop to gather supplies for wicca/voodoo. It was light hearted and we took a while pricking my finger to incorporate blood into the doll overall we were just having fun. We anointed the room with holy water and bough small crosses to place around my alter. We had started the day off in a spiritual mood, even giving each other some interesting books on palmistry. My friend and I aren't super religious people and are actually quite scientific. We had watching a video on physics previous to when it happened. I was just coming out of the bathroom and my friend was sitting on the floor, in the corner of the room we both saw a white light. It was a sudden flash from a corner of the room with no lights. We were both shocked and I was the first to ask if she had seen it. Previous to this I was quite iffy when it came to paranormal experiences. This was nothing like I've ever seen before. A sudden glow of light with no explanation. We reviewed all of the spiritual things we had dabbled with during the day. What stood out to us was a ouija experience we had. We contacted an old man who left us the mysterious message "yire" the light occurred 10 minutes after our ouija experience. we are still coming to terms with what we saw, as it couldn't have been from any light source in the room, it seemed to have its own origin. I think it may have been an angel.

3 hours ago, Redefining Success said:

How many one post wonders on this thread? 

Wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1