Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sri Lankan man dies in failed exorcism ritual

Still Waters

The man sacrificed a cat and was then buried in a shallow grave after instructing onlookers to dig him out once he gave a signal of pushing a sword he was carrying through the ground, police said.

“Even after three hours, there was no sign of the sword coming up from the grave,” a local police official told AFP.

“That is when the onlookers decided to pull him out anyway, but he was unconscious,” the unnamed official said.

http://www.nst.com.m...ritual-1.350008

• Like 1

Just think, they buried him, then he died, then they dug him up, then buried him again.

• Like 2

sheesh people are so dumb. how is burying yourself alive supposed to get rid of a demon?

sheesh people are so dumb. how is burying yourself alive supposed to get rid of a demon?

It may not get rid of a demon but it certainly qualifies him for a Darwin Award.

Living in a technological modern civilization, we sometimes forget the primitive nonsense that goes on around the world. That said we have enough nonsense of our own to go around.

• Like 3

Why did it take so long for them to dig him up? If he is covered in dirt surely people would know that he couldn't last very long!

Why did it take so long for them to dig him up? If he is covered in dirt surely people would know that he couldn't last very long!

It appears they are not as concerned with medical certainty as with mystical promise.

• Like 2

I've yet to do/see an exorcism that involves being buried alive. I would assume the spirit he was trying to exorcise killed him, because if he was low on oxygen, he would have pushed the sword up so they would unbury him. I think that whatever demons they have are quite hostile...

I've yet to do/see an exorcism that involves being buried alive. I would assume the spirit he was trying to exorcise killed him, because if he was low on oxygen, he would have pushed the sword up so they would unbury him. I think that whatever demons they have are quite hostile...

My unknowledgable take on this is...

He likely took some type of "trance drug" prior to burial to enable(in their religion) a more certain connection with the "spirits"

That, coupled with an increasing lack of oxygen, probably rendered him incoherent enough to be unable to "push the sword up"

Even without trance drugs, the lack of oxygen can severely disorient a person, of course even "passing out" prior to death.

EDIT: The onlookers unburied him after 3-hours. I'll bet he was already dead with 5-10 minutes.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Well not only did he fail to exorcise the demons haunting the home but looks like his Spirit will be haunting her place as well in addition to the demons already there.

You're forgetting, these were the same people who thought it was a good idea to bury him in the first place.

• Like 2

I know... I feel sorriest for the cat.

Mabon.

...Poor kitty *sniffs

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit:

First old lady, "Harriet you're late!"

Second old lady, "Sorry deary, I had to bury the cat."

First old lady, "That was four hours ago! Four hours to bury a cat?"

Second old lady, "Wouldn't hold still."

The good news is he's no longer possessed.

/facepalm

I'd assume pushing a sword through the ground while buried would be difficult, more so if you're low on oxygen.

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit:

First old lady, "Harriet you're late!"

Second old lady, "Sorry deary, I had to bury the cat."

First old lady, "That was four hours ago! Four hours to bury a cat?"

Second old lady, "Wouldn't hold still."

Sorry..I guess I just fail to find that "funny".

Sadly there are plenty of people who really would do this to animals and children.

P.S: I mean no offenses to you..I'm just sensitive that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Just think, they buried him, then he died, then they dug him up, then buried him again.

and report to police that this is an exorcism ritual.

the strange part

1. “Even after three hours, there was no sign of the sword coming up from the grave,” a local police official told AFP. -> why wait for 3 hours ?

2. “That is when the onlookers decided to pull him out anyway, but he was unconscious,” the unnamed official said. -> is he really unconscious ? or dead .

You live by the sword, you die by the sword.