Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Doctor Who time travel possible

Still Waters

Whizzing forward a few thousand years in time would be a breeze, the physicist and television presenter said, but finding your way back again could be more of a problem.

While Einstein's theory of Special Relativity would allow the Doctor "almost total freedom of movement" in the future, he would need to find a wormhole - a short cut through space and time - in order to return to the past, he explained.

http://www.telegraph...-Brian-Cox.html

Says my favourite physicist, Professor Brian Cox:

"Time travel IS possible - but only if you want to go to the future and not come back, says Professor Brian Cox

• Professor Cox made the claims at the British Science Festival
  • He explained time travel has already taken place, but on a very small scale
  • The closer someone travels to the speed of light, the more time slows
  • If time slows to a significant amount it could transport that person 'thousands of years into the future"

http://www.dailymail...-Brian-Cox.html

Edited by Aggie

I've been in the Past, my own, and I don't recommend it.

Here's an interesting Wiki page about the "Novikov self-consistency principle".

Stated simply, the Novikov consistency principle asserts that if an event exists that would give rise to a paradox, or to any "change" to the past whatsoever, then the probability of that event is zero. In short, it says that it is impossible to create time paradoxes.
We shall embody this viewpoint in a principle of self-consistency, which states that the only solutions to the laws of physics that can occur locally in the real Universe are those which are globally self-consistent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

• Like 1

Time is only a scaler quanity. A unit of mesurement to determene location in the fabic of space. There for time travel to the future and back to the past is possible.

Time is only a scaler quanity. A unit of mesurement to determene location in the fabic of space. There for time travel to the future and back to the past is possible.

How is it possible?

Whizzing forward a few thousand years in time would be a breeze, the physicist and television presenter said, but finding your way back again could be more of a problem.

While Einstein's theory of Special Relativity would allow the Doctor "almost total freedom of movement" in the future, he would need to find a wormhole - a short cut through space and time - in order to return to the past, he explained.

That's basically how I've understood it for several years now.

Supposedly you could "see" into the past if you could go Faster Then Light. Because you could go out and then look back at the light arriving from before you left. The further out you went the greater resolution you'd need, and the further back you would see. Theoretically possible however. Fly out 10,000 light years, build a reciever a light year wide, and watch the last Neanderthals being wiped out in Europe.

I don't think whizzing forward a few thousand years in time would be a breeze. To achieve such a feat time would have to slow down to almost a standstill and it is doubtful whether the human body or any organism for that matter would be able to survive such a slow down in metabolism, I feel the only way to survive such trauma would be for the individual to be put into some sort of suspended animation and to be awoken at the end of the journey.

I don't think whizzing forward a few thousand years in time would be a breeze. To achieve such a feat time would have to slow down to almost a standstill and it is doubtful whether the human body or any organism for that matter would be able to survive such a slow down in metabolism, I feel the only way to survive such trauma would be for the individual to be put into some sort of suspended animation and to be awoken at the end of the journey.

For the person traveling close to the speed of light, time would be passing normally - it's all relative baby!

Edit: Just the relative time between a and b traveling away from each other at light speed would be at a standstill.

Edited by Timonthy