Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Senate panel Defines Journalism

Drayno

http://www.breitbart...ng-a-journalist

A Senate panel on Thursday approved a measure defining a journalist, which had been an obstacle to broader media shield legislation designed to protect reporters and the news media from having to reveal their sources.

The Judiciary Committee's action cleared the way for approval of legislation prompted by the disclosure earlier this year that the Justice Department had secretly subpoenaed almost two months of telephone records for 21 phone lines used by reporters and editors for The Associated Press and secretly used a warrant to obtain some emails of a Fox News journalist. The subpoenas grew out of investigations into leaks of classified information to the news organizations.

The AP received no advance warning of the subpoena.

The vote was 13-5 for a compromise defining a "covered journalist" as an employee, independent contractor or agent of an entity that disseminates news or information. The individual would have been employed for one year within the last 20 or three months within the last five years.

It would apply to student journalists or someone with a considerable amount of freelance work in the last five years. A federal judge also would have the discretion to declare an individual a "covered journalist," who would be granted the privileges of the law.

This is very worrisome and undermines the First Amendment.

Once they control the definition of a 'journalist', they change the definition of a 'free-press'.

The next thing you know they're defining what you can or cannot say about them.

The government is extremely worried about the Alternative Media right now.

Too many people are waking up; such as opposing Syria.

Big government is shaking in its booties.

Time to give a dog treat to the MSNBC-progressive 'journalists'...

But give subpoenas to those rascalian 'domestic terrorist' conservative/libertarian 'journalists'.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 3

If i understand this , the bolded below will be "Protected" by this legislation. ? .. and all other independent writers will not. ?

(from HK's link)

The vote was 13-5 for a compromise defining a "covered journalist" as an employee, independent contractor or agent of an entity that disseminates news or information. The individual would have been employed for one year within the last 20 or three months within the last five years.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

If i understand this , the bolded below will be "Protected" by this legislation. ? .. and all other independent writers will not. ?

(from HK's link)

You are correct.

An uncovered journalist would be someone like a blogger - or independent writer.

Or someone who is not employed by corporations as a talking head for a corporate-owned news source.

They're defining protective rights for those who are apart of the mainstream media.

If you're not employed by the mainstream media and espouse alternate views, you aren't protected.

Because, by Senator Dianne Feinstein's definition, you are not a journalist.

"I think journalism has a certain tradecraft. It's a profession. I recognize that everyone can think they're a journalist," Feinstein said.

Selective defining leads to murky control over journalism in this country.

They want to control the narrative; if you're not with them, you're against them.

Eric Holder and Dianne Feinstein's involvement should raise immediate concern.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 3

That's what i thought it said ! Now what i don't understand is how a senate panel can legally undo the law by writing a definition . This is an attack on freedom of expression .

• Like 1

This s disturbing

Im glad you made this thread or else it probably would of went under my radar.

• Like 2

This s disturbing

One of my hobbies is reading the news. ;)

• Like 1

This s disturbing

It is disturbing! :(

They are scared to death, of alternative media. LOL....

Definitely, outrageous,because the type of corporate media, that we have now, is not what our Founding Fathers envisioned... Alternative media is the Thomas Paine of our Time, and the government seeks to stifle it's voice.. :td:

• Like 3

It is disturbing! :(

They are scared to death, of alternative media. LOL....

Definitely, outrageous,because the type of corporate media, that we have now, is not what our Founding Fathers envisioned... Alternative media is the Thomas Paine of our Time, and the government seeks to stifle it's voice.. :td:

Exactly.

Journalists have always had the innate responsibility to report on the factual unfolding of events.

Another responsibility is the obligation to criticize government and inform the people of its shortcomings. The media acted as a guard to keep the government's power in check due to scrupulous coverage.

Instead, now, we have the mainstream media protecting their darling child, Dear Leader Obama.

Why? Because despite their obvious bias, they're also bought out by the military-industrial complex.

The same military-industrial complex that owns both the Republicans and Democrats.

War is peace. Ignorance is strength. We live in an age of deception and misinformation.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 3

Sounds to me like they're getting their ducks in a row to 'get' Julian Assange - "you're not a journalist, you're an agent provacateur".

• Like 1

The Constitution says freedom of the press, so our politicians take that to mean they can control the press. Now someone will show up asking: "where does it say they can't?" So after looking at the ceiling for a moment wondering if this country could get anymore freaking stupid, you collect your wits and try to reason with these people. You try to read them the First Amendment, very slowly, painfully slowly, and loudly, and after that review of the law happens, they'll come back with yelling fire in a theater and every other example of where our freedom of speech has been abridged. And so, what? The First Amendment obsolete too? What a useful cudgel this is, for a statist.

• Like 3

This is happening cause "alternative" is becoming main stream. They hit us with everything they could think of to get us to support a war in Syria, and we still werent having it. That scares the hell outta them. I just hope they dont pull some major terror attack to drop the hammer on us all.

• Like 2

The power of people to crave imposed authority, even at the expense of their own freedom, should never be underestimated.

• Like 3

The panel's actions would be best described as "Orwellian".

I guess they are getting rather desperate, eh?

• Like 2

This s disturbing

It looks like Dianne Feinstein is trying to Transform America into ________???

Government, in its eternal quest to control, should invent some new words that don't currently exist so they can get away with all the creative new definitions they come up with for words already in the dictionary.

• Like 2

Government, in its eternal quest to control, should invent some new words that don't currently exist so they can get away with all the creative new definitions they come up with for words already in the dictionary.

They are trying, every day. "Embedded journalists", "enhanced interrogation", "whistleblowers are traitors", and on and on. :td:

• Like 1

Edit and transform a medium for the people to voice their opinions and eventually their opinions become irrelevant.

The want to incrementally make it profane and punishable to question the state or its narrative.

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power.

- Benito Mussolini

I agree with acidhead, this case is an example of Fascism.. The state using its power to silence ideas.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 3

Edit and transform a medium for the people to voice their opinions and eventually their opinions become irrelevant.

The want to incrementally make it profane and punishable to question the state or its narrative.

I agree with acidhead, this case is an example of Fascism.. The state using its power to silence ideas.

I think Mussolini knew a thing or two about fascism.... he defines exactly what were experiencing.

• Like 1