Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghostly "Help, I'm having a heart attack"

IMGumsho

Climb in, fasten your seat belt, sit back and relax. Although the first emergency “911” telephone system call wasn’t placed until 1968, it some ten years after it was mandated by Congress, that it’s real value begun to surface. Though it was probably not fully appreciated in the greater United States for years to come. I do not believe we received the enhanced emergency system before 1989. It was truly a remarkable piece of technology reminding us that every tick of the minute hand on your watch was a matter of living or dying for some. The new emergency enhance "911" system allowed for caller identification capabilities far beyond your imagination, so does this story of strangeness. The year was circa 1990 or 1991.

There was a time not too long ago when I was working double car one afternoon shift. It was when police officers were routinely dispatched along with paramedics on all rescue calls. For the sake of efficacy and preserving individuals name and her family members, we will call her Mrs. Smith. Eventually even that practice was phased out but in this instance, my partner and myself were dispatched to assist a rescue on this call. We had just received a radio call dispatching us to an address on this particular Road, a “Mrs. Smith calls reporting she is having a heart attack, and needs help!” Knowing the general location, I started heading that way with lights flickering and intermittent sirens as I was threading my way in and out of traffic.

We knew the paramedics were called and were on their way and we could all be on location in a matter of a few short minutes. The enhanced “911” system was somewhat of a novelty then because it provided the dispatcher with the name of Mrs. Smith along with her address and the phone number where the call originated.

All of the information matched what dispatchers were able to get from Mrs. Smith, who was aged, frail, and in some dire distress. In fact, while we were still enroute to this location the dispatcher radioed a second call, “Cars responding to the address, we received a second call by Mrs. Smith saying she needs help,” and my partner acknowledged receipt of that message before reporting our location.

The rescue although still a few miles out, was monitoring our communications and acknowledged they were headed our way. We were not more than two or three minutes away when I noticed we were approaching the old elementary school up ahead, the address given was an odd number meaning it would be on the left side of the road. I left off the gas slowing down and felt that old pang of memories resurfacing like an old friend. Something odd is occurring, I thought ...

Long ago, the city fathers created a neat system of sequential addressing where even numbers are always located on the right side of the street and the odd numbers on the left.

Just as I reached the location, slowing down we received the third and final radio dispatch.

The dispatchers broadcasted their third dispatch that went something like this “Cars responding to the XXX Road address, we received another call by Mrs. Smith, she says she having a heart attack and needs help,” and I stopped right there in the middle of road and parked. Call us arrived, I reminded my partner as I took full survey of the location ...

I did not move or exit the car as my partner was glancing around saying “We going to go up there?” "No!" I snapped glancing in the rear view mirror. I said the rescue is right here, pointing backward. "Wait until they pull up alongside, just wait here," I said. Rescue was approaching fast with lights and siren blasting. They slowed and pulled alongside me in the middle of the road and roll down their windows.

Both paramedics leaning forward looking over at us and in unison they asked, “Where's the house?” My partner glancing around with eyes darting back and forth says where is the house? I look over my shoulder to the left where a parking lot sits and said there it is, right there pointing at the parking lot ...

I turned to my partner and the paramedics and told them “guys Mrs. Smith was in her middle or late 90s when she died of a heart attack five years ago, the family sold the house to the City and they gave it to the school district. The school district tore it down four years ago and made that parking lot where her house use to be,” pointing the empty parking lot.

In that spirit, the idea caught hold and we turned off our emergency overhead lights and cleared our radio call without any further discussion on the radio, I hurried off the road to the next side street where we disappeared in the subdivision waiting for the next call. The paramedics sat there in the middle of the road probably still internalizing what they just experienced shut off their lights and siren driving slowly away.

Do dead people call on telephones? Is it possible? No doubt about it... Her telephone account would have been disconnected within days of her death five years ago, but how did an female’s voice claiming to be Mrs. Smith get into the “911” system not once but three times claiming the same malady she died from years earlier, and how did her name, address and phone number show up on the caller I.D. five years into the future?

~IMGumsho

• Like 4

So basically the old woman had given the incorrect address, maybe due to the fact she was having a heart attack at the time and in dire distress?

• Like 3

So basically the old woman had given the incorrect address, maybe due to the fact she was having a heart attack at the time and in dire distress?

Yes...that was the first thing that came to my mind.

And just couple of blocks away, some poor woman died alone, waiting for help she thought was coming.... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Yes...that was the first thing that came to my mind.

And just couple of blocks away, some poor woman died alone, waiting for help she thought was coming.... :unsure2:

Would could have been just another spooky ghost story could actually be a real life tragedy and complete botch up!!

• Like 2

They didn't even go around knocking on doors, looking for the source of the call...I guess making a dramatic announcement to freak out the paramedics was more important.

:hmm:

Folks, let me clear the air a moment. Immediately after posting these parables the critics were fast at work. Look ... I graduated from a university with a degree okay? I worked in a city doing what I likened to "Social work," of sorts. Day and night, but mostly nights always dealing with people, it paid well and I liked it. Honestly now, do I care that when presenting my account of a sighting that I used the wrong verb? Its a story ... its my experience .... written under Ghost sighting and experience site. Why the hell do I need to answer to you? What the Hell is that ... Yup, I used the wrong verb one critic says and another says well ... sounds like I am writing a book. Well actually its part of my own personal journal written after about 25 years of service on the streets. I offer no regrets and no excuses for anything that I done or experienced. Does that make me or my experience any less credible or important that yours?

After reading posts in other topics it almost sounds like this group of professional or serial critics wait on new people, new topics, or subjects they disagree with to unleash vicious assaults.

Here's the point, I do not care ...

When I joined the forum I did so with an open mind and honest heart. My intent was to share and learn. I did not join this forum to be constantly harangued, scolded, attacked like I just walked through gauntlet someplace. Take that negativity someplace else or this will loose people like me joining. You know who are, some of you bounce and trawl from forum to forum spewing the same critical negativity wherever you go. You hurt forums like this.

~IMGumsho

• Like 1

Wow,that is a very interesting expirience..I myself have never had an expirience like that,but I firmly believe in the paranormal.And anybody who makes a rude or stupid comment are just ignorant and enjoy making fun of those of us who have these expiriences..I believe your story,because I know that it's possible..thank you for being brave and sharing your expirience :)

I'm not one of those "critics," but I posted on two of your threads, the ones labeled "ghostly."

Yes, the skeptical posters are a bit harsh here. Try not to take it personally.

On the first "heart attack" thread, I was bothered by how you and the other rescue personnel didn't look around and try to find out if there really was another woman having a heart attack. Perhaps it wasn't like that in real life, but the way you presented the incident gives that impression. You might consider re-writing it to clear that up.

From the two pieces I read, I'd say your journal has the potential to be very interesting...but if you're going to seek professional publication, you'll need to clean up the style a bit. Please see my comments in the "Dad's on Fire" thread for details.

• Like 3

I read your first post and didn't see any attacks.

IMGumsho, I am a newbie too here and people have been nothing but kind and nice to me since day one, I might have disagree with some sometimes but that is what happens in forums, we are all here to discuss, share things and -mostly-'agree to disagree'.

• Like 3

I read your first post and didn't see any attacks.

IMGumsho, I am a newbie too here and people have been nothing but kind and nice to me since day one, I might have disagree with some sometimes but that is what happens in forums, we are all here to discuss, share things and -mostly-'agree to disagree'.

I have seen the post aswell, i think its referring to Freetoroam's reply which is not a attack.

• Like 3

I just read the first thread and I would have encouraged knocking on doors too, just to be sure it wasn't a wrong adress type situation.

• Like 2

Folks, let me clear the air a moment. Immediately after posting these parables the critics were fast at work. Look ... I graduated from a university with a degree okay? I worked in a city doing what I likened to "Social work," of sorts. Day and night, but mostly nights always dealing with people, it paid well and I liked it. Honestly now, do I care that when presenting my account of a sighting that I used the wrong verb? Its a story ... its my experience .... written under Ghost sighting and experience site. Why the hell do I need to answer to you? What the Hell is that ... Yup, I used the wrong verb one critic says and another says well ... sounds like I am writing a book. Well actually its part of my own personal journal written after about 25 years of service on the streets. I offer no regrets and no excuses for anything that I done or experienced. Does that make me or my experience any less credible or important that yours?

After reading posts in other topics it almost sounds like this group of professional or serial critics wait on new people, new topics, or subjects they disagree with to unleash vicious assaults.

Here's the point, I do not care ...

When I joined the forum I did so with an open mind and honest heart. My intent was to share and learn. I did not join this forum to be constantly harangued, scolded, attacked like I just walked through gauntlet someplace. Take that negativity someplace else or this will loose people like me joining. You know who are, some of you bounce and trawl from forum to forum spewing the same critical negativity wherever you go. You hurt forums like this.

~IMGumsho

No one is attacking you.

There was no personal attack. When you post an experience on any forum, you leave it open for discussion.

Here I felt this was not a ghostly experience and actually the first thing which came to mind was the poor woman waiting for the ambulance to arrive... a ghost would have been the last thing on my mind.

Do not take any replies personally, (we have pms for that) :-*

peace.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

Hi IMGumsho, I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with some of the replies to your posts, we aim to maintain as friendly an environment as possible here on the forums and new posters such as yourself mean a great deal to us - if you believe anyone has made a comment that is inappropriate or offensive please hit the 'report' button to let us know.

On saying that it's also worth noting that some comments that can appear blunt or critical are not necessarily meant unkindly so don't take them too much to heart. We have members from a lot of different backgrounds and with a wide range of beliefs so not everyone will see eye to eye, conflicting views and opinions are to be expected.

• Like 4

No one is attacking you.

There was no personal attack. When you post an experience on any forum, you leave it open for discussion.

Here I felt this was not a ghostly experience and actually the first thing which came to mind was the poor woman waiting for the ambulance to arrive... a ghost would have been the last thing on my mind.

Do not take any replies personally, (we have pms for that) :-*

peace.

That is also true..sometimes people say what is called "constructive critizism" and that's fine..but then again,there are some people who are just hateful and ignorant to anybody and everybody..even though others may have not percieved any of these posts being attacks,IMGumsho obviously did..sometimes it's hard to distinguish which is which online,and some can feel like their toes were stepped on when others don't see that..it doesn't make either wrong,it's just perception..I said what I said to make IMGumsho feel better

• Like 2

That is also true..sometimes people say what is called "constructive critizism" and that's fine..but then again,there are some people who are just hateful and ignorant to anybody and everybody..even though others may have not percieved any of these posts being attacks,IMGumsho obviously did..sometimes it's hard to distinguish which is which online,and some can feel like their toes were stepped on when others don't see that..it doesn't make either wrong,it's just perception..I said what I said to make IMGumsho feel better

I am sure IMGumsho will soon recognise what is constructive or malicious, but as pointed out, we have mods on here who deal with the malicious.

Its not healthy and it can get pretty boring if everyone on here is in agreement. A bit of healthy debating and a view on others opinions is what makes the site interesting. :tu:

• Like 3

I am sure IMGumsho will soon recognise what is constructive or malicious, but as pointed out, we have mods on here who deal with the malicious.

Its not healthy and it can get pretty boring if everyone on here is in agreement. A bit of healthy debating and a view on others opinions is what makes the site interesting. :tu:

Also true...if eveyone was in agreement,it WOULD be very boring..and yes,healthy debating is good for everyone...I do hope that IMGumsho will recognize what is constructive or malicious,because it can get pretty daunting online if you don't :)

• Like 1

Why the hell do I need to answer to you?

Well, This is a discussion forum.. not a blog. Why bother posting on a discussion forum if you do not want comments? Clearly you just want people to give you positive reinforcement on your claims and that is not a discussion, well acutally yes it is but a very short one.

Folks, let me clear the air a moment. Immediately after posting these parables the critics were fast at work. Look ... I graduated from a university with a degree okay? I worked in a city doing what I likened to "Social work," of sorts. Day and night, but mostly nights always dealing with people, it paid well and I liked it.

This confuses me, First if you know how to "deal with people" clearly you don't know how to handle very simple objections. Also a lot of our members on this forums have degrees or diplomas in some sort of area. I myself graduated with 35mm photography, video editing, sound editing, windows 98 IT and finally photo editing.

Maybe a blog is more of your thing.

• Like 4

Well, This is a discussion forum.. not a blog. Why bother posting on a discussion forum if you do not want comments? Clearly you just want people to give you positive reinforcement on your claims and that is not a discussion, well acutally yes it is but a very short one.

This confuses me, First if you know how to "deal with people" clearly you don't know how to handle very simple objections. Also a lot of our members on this forums have degrees or diplomas in some sort of area. I myself graduated with 35mm photography, video editing, sound editing, windows 98 IT and finally photo editing.

Maybe a blog is more of your thing.

Good point..a forum is so that others can comment..there are some people that might be too sensitive for forums..you can get everything from constructive critizism to downright nastiness(and everything in between)..a blog is a good idea,because that way someone can post their thoughts,expiriences,whatever and have the option for others not to comment.I hope that IMGumsho can learn to recognize what comments are truly malicious and report them..that's why there are Mods :)

• Like 1

SunnyBear,

Nothing about this particular incident would be out of the norm except for the fact that neither the woman or her house exist any longer. She passed five years earlier from the same issue she claimed she was having. The name her voice gave over a recorded line that day matched exactly with the name displayed on computer, the address, and telephone number from which the call originated. It was indeed bizarre and something I had never experienced before.

• Like 2

SunnyBear,

Nothing about this particular incident would be out of the norm except for the fact that neither the woman or her house exist any longer. She passed five years earlier from the same issue she claimed she was having. The name her voice gave over a recorded line that day matched exactly with the name displayed on computer, the address, and telephone number from which the call originated. It was indeed bizarre and something I had never experienced before.

It WAS really strange..but it doesn't surprise me,because I've heard similar stories before..I know it's hard when it seems that people are just picking apart your experience,I had to learn not to take people's responses to heart..but I hope that doesn't turn you against sharing any future experiences..and,if someone gets TOO nasty,report them..you don't have to take their abuse,that's what the Mods are for..wishing you the best :D

Thanks for sharing, creepy story. By the way, seems like your A.hole radar is working just fine. :tu:

• Like 1

The dead do make phone calls. I've never heard of one calling 911 before, they usually call someone they cared for deeply in life.

• Like 1

That's very odd. I'm wondering is there any way at all the calls you received could have been a hoax? Or some kind of malfunction with the system perhaps which made it look like it came from her? Probably neither, but they're the only other explanations I can think of.

I agree with Brian Topp. The writing is good (I have a degree in English) but if you just want positive reinforcement, do the blog.

• Like 4