Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Colorado flood causes 7ft high street geyser

Still Waters

Colorado has been hit by flooding that was described as 'biblical' by the local weather service on Thursday.

As storm drains were overwhelmed by the downpour, pressure in the underground water system caused a manhole cover to blow off in Manitou Springs.

http://www.telegraph...eet-geyser.html

To all our Colorado members and families, stay safe!

• Like 2

As a non religious person, I would describe this as "a natural force".

I personally would not like to "admit" if I were religious that this was my gods doing or will by describing it as biblical.

This is nature doing what it does and as long as humans do not respect that nature is the highest force and still believe it is a "gods will", then man will keep disrespecting how powerful nature really is and will keep trying destroying it.

Ditto Still Waters on the stay safe.

More on the flooding here -

Thousands of people have been warned to evacuate the Boulder area of Colorado and a mountain hamlet as flooding swells creeks to dangerous levels.

Storm rains have killed at least three people in the state and caused severe damage to property.

Water levels in the Boulder Canyon are reportedly rising rapidly because of debris and mud blocking its mouth.

President Barack Obama has signed an emergency order approving federal disaster aid for Boulder County.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-24068804

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 2

Wow. That's quite the site, even if it's only 7-ft tall.

• Like 1

What a terrifying event happening. Water on the move is so incredibly powerful.

Indeed, more so than some people think.

The current of water behind a raging stream, though it might only be 1-ft deep, can produce sustained impact forces into the hundreds and even thousands of pounds of pressure. It is a bad mistake for those wanting to "walk across", or even "drive across" massive amounts of quickly moving water, even only 1-ft deep.

EDIT: I think, perhaps, the reason some people do this is because it's a dangerous illusion.

One only see's the top of the flowing water which, though moving and obviously turbulent, might seem "crossable", but it is NOT THE SAME 3-6-inches down, which is probably up to 50% more powerful.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

A lot of streets here where I live have been flooded very badly and closed. Today it was warm and sunny and all of a sudden, more rain. It has stopped now, but as I am watching the news, even the mall that is 5 minutes away (driving) has been flooded. The first floor apartments where I live were all flooded the other day. In the years that I have lived here, this is probably the worst I have seen besides blizzards :(

• Like 4

Sorry to hear of your situatuon. Take care, and BE careful.

Indeed, more so than some people think.

The current of water behind a raging stream, though it might only be 1-ft deep, can produce sustained impact forces into the hundreds and even thousands of pounds of pressure. It is a bad mistake for those wanting to "walk across", or even "drive across" massive amounts of quickly moving water, even only 1-ft deep.

EDIT: I think, perhaps, the reason some people do this is because it's a dangerous illusion.

One only see's the top of the flowing water which, though moving and obviously turbulent, might seem "crossable", but it is NOT THE SAME 3-6-inches down, which is probably up to 50% more powerful.

Very true.

Living on the water I know how powerful it is and the devastation it can do.

Unfortunately the more we build the more we will witness these kind of floodings. Developers know damn well that water has to run somewhere and just does not stop because there is a cement beneath it.

We had a situation here last year where many houses got flooded badly because of the new developments of housing estates miles away and to save the estates getting flooded the water gates were opened, flooding everything downstream.

The number of violent weather patterns in the US have been going up every year. Wide swings in temperatures. To mirror what Still Waters already said to our Colorado members and their families, prayers and stay safe.

It's a mess. My family is ok. We are a bit south of Denver but Boulder is a disaster. It's scary. Rainy day today. Not deluge rain but not helping the situation.

Nibs