Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do certain singing voices make us cry?

SpiritWriter

Singing voices don't make me weep. Lyrics and melody do it. People will likely laugh at this (since it's a bar song), but it's for this reason that the folk song "Danny Boy" makes me weep.

Singing voices don't make me weep. Lyrics and melody do it. People will likely laugh at this (since it's a bar song), but it's for this reason that the folk song "Danny Boy" makes me weep.

Me too I want to weep because the father is waiting for his son to come back.

The only time that singing brought tears to my eyes was one time I was at a piano lounge and one fellow(customer) was singing along,My friend and I laughed so hard we had tears running down our cheeks,this fellow was so bad that he probably could have made a living doing it if he took it on the road.

jmccr8

I'm not sure about the 'weeping' thing, but we tend to favor voices with a 'flat top'. They introduce harmonics, and sound richer. The best examples i can think of right now are Perry Como and Shania Twain.

And one thing to add to this great discussion...

Recall that humans, and nearly all animals, are genetically programmed to emotionally respond to the distress or joy of their "child", or even other people.

This is a genetically protective and nurturing behavior. This response is also noted with spousal relationships.

Some people are much more sensitive, whereas others(example, EMT's or Doctors) are not as sensitive(at least in the immediate moment; I'm sure they might cry afterwards)

My nervous system is damaged, so I can not remain "calm" without medication in upsetting circumstances, and thus I might cry listening to a sad song or singer's tone, whereas other's would not.

EDIT: I was at my mom's funeral at started to cry. My brother(normally extremely stoic and composed) standing next to me noticed me crying and he started to cry.

Then, for those old enough to remember the "laughing bag"... it was a "toy" device that said absolutely nothing but would laugh. Many listeners would start laughing for no particular reason, including me.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

This made me cry.. Anything to do with Whitney Houston makes me cry though. Ariana Grande has a marvelous voice. :)

Edited by SpiritWriter

Great question !

Just going off the top of my head here;

Certain noises trigger deeply learned responses in us ; the gurgling sound of a happy baby or a distressed one.

The calm, everything is good noises we make ( 'human purrrrs' ) as opposed to the freaked out ones - little babies can tell.

They may not understand the words as well as we do, but the modulation tone and 'musical language' within the communication, they certainly do.

That together with and staring ( focusing attention on ) 'reassures' baby (and adults ).

Perhaps there is a connection between lubricating the eyes (tears) so vision is focused and intent ?

Then any 'musically similar' tone, modulation, etc , learnt generally ( actually, I should say 'genetically imprinted' ) and any specific ones learnt by the individual ,,,, comes together in the reaction .