Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poll suggests 48% believe in alien visitation

UM-Bot

A recent poll indicated that up to half of Americans believe that some UFOs are alien in origin.

The poll, which was conducted as a collaboration between YouGov and the Huffington Post, asked members of the public whether they believed that at least some UFO sightings can be attributed to visitors from space. The results indicated that 48% believed that some UFOs were indeed extraterrestrial in origin while 35% rejected the idea entirely. The remaining voters were not sure one way or the other.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...lien-visitation

Please note that derogatory or insulting comments will be removed from this thread.

• Like 1

was anyone here asked to vote/contribute to that poll?

If not, its not accurate is it?

• Like 2

How so ?

Indicating that the UM forum isn't representative. Here we have 80% or more skeptics.

How did you come up with this figure ?

How so ?

come on saru, they only ask a small proportion of people, dont they? its not exactly a question that's on the yearly council census is it?. Its like saying, "our studio audience say" on a quiz show, and whats that, 200 people? 500 at most maybe? Its not even as big a poll as the xfactor votes for new pop stars, and thats televised with an 0800 number to vote on!

Just like 8 out of ten cats like Whiskas.

Oh yeh? Which 8? My cat wont touch the stuff

• Like 1

Yes they only ask a small proportion of people, but that's how opinion polls work, they're not going to be asking everyone in the entire country to vote. You could use this same argument to play down the results of every opinion poll that has ever been carried out.

YouGov's methodology is to obtain responses from an invited group of internet users, and then to weight these responses in line with demographic information.

I don't see the need to criticize this particular poll on the basis of something that's common to all opinion polls.

• Like 5

Please note that derogatory or insulting comments will be removed from this thread.

is this how they decided who would be allowed to take the poll?

I agree with Seeder on this one.

• Like 1

is this how they decided who would be allowed to take the poll?

Your comment makes no sense - the poll was carried out by YouGov and the Huffington Post, we didn't conduct it.

Your comment makes no sense - the poll was carried out by YouGov and the Huffington Post, we didn't conduct it.

No, the poll makes no sense. How many people were asked? This is a pretty good sight for asking people about their idea on this, so where did they ask us?

"YouGov" does not mean conclusive accuracy!

The Huffington Post source article explains in detail how the poll was conducted. Nobody is claiming it is conclusively accurate, it's a poll, it's simply meant to give a general idea of what people are thinking.

Make of it what you will.

• Like 6

Sure. After all the people on this forum are the ultimate authority.

• Like 2

Easy I would have thought. The poll indicates the majority are believers . Here it is the reverse. That's not a complaint, just an observation,

Edited by zoser
  • Like 2

U rly sure?

agreed. On the forums front page it states 3271 users are online (in the past 30 minutes). so Zoser, please name 80% of the skeptics, or lets round it down to say - can you name 2000 just for fun? Id bet you cant name 30

Indicating that the UM forum isn't representative. Here we have 80% or more skeptics.

Isn't representative of what?

'A recent poll indicated that up to half of Americans believe that some UFOs are alien in origin.'

Ask a sample of Africans & you'll get a different answer, ask a sample of Norwegians & you'll get a different answer, ask a sample of British you'll & get a different answer. As we've discussed on other topics, part of the belief in alien visitation has a direct link with popular sci-fi culture which as it happens is mostly prevalent, in fact mostly originates in the U.S. so given this sample it should be no surprise that " half of Americans believe that some UFOs are alien in origin."

It doesn't equate to UFOs are alien in origin.

p.s. What they actually mean 'half of all those questioned believe', so it's all dependent on how many they questioned & who they ask. If they asked 30 people at a UFO convention the poll is meaningless. At best any poll is a best guess scenario.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

Its funny how people get so threatened by an opinion poll about UFO's...

The poll could be accurate. Im pretty sure a lot of people are just silent about it, like there not huge alien enthusiast so their not talking about it all the time. But if asked that is what they answered.

Edited by spartan max2

The poll could be accurate. Im pretty sure a lot of people are just silent about it, like there not huge alien enthusiast so their not talking about it all the time. But if asked that is what they answered.

It also depends on the subject audience doesnt it? Post a poll on a forum like this and the figures may well be in the 80% mark or higher. Ask around a few hundred old folks homes and the poll may be under 10% or less.

Its a funny thing you know, when I met my missus and after a while (week or so) got talking about everyday stuff, I casually mentioned the subject of ufos and aliens, - and was looked at very strangely for a few minutes. Even now If I go to the window or garden to get a better look at something in the skies she starts moaning at me. But thats probably as I will spend quite some time doing it!! She knows Im skeptical but even so I have to check these things out for myself. :yes: I wouldn't even dare bring up the subject with her family, as they are the very very rational down to earth types

Just for the record if you asked ME do I believe in ufo's, without getting technical about the words used id have to say yes. Ive seen some odd things in the skies about a half dozen times in 30 odd years. But I dont know what Ive seen - as its unidentified. But asking a more precise question like would I believe in alien visitation...It'd be a firm NO.

• Like 1

There is nothing threatening about it at all. Unless you are an alien.

• Like 2

There is nothing threatening about it at all. Unless you are an alien.

I was just basing that comment on how quickly people wanted to discredit the poll.

48 percent is probably little high for the whole population. I would be voteing no.

But I know that even if I voted yes that I still wouldn't really care to talk about aliens much. That's why im saying it could be that high because a lot of people who believe could just not care enough to talk about it all the time like the hardcore alien people.

It also depends on the subject audience doesnt it? Post a poll on a forum like this and the figures may well be in the 80% mark or higher. Ask around a few hundred old folks homes and the poll may be under 10% or less.

Its a funny thing you know, when I met my missus and after a while (week or so) got talking about everyday stuff, I casually mentioned the subject of ufos and aliens, - and was looked at very strangely for a few minutes. Even now If I go to the window or garden to get a better look at something in the skies she starts moaning at me. But thats probably as I will spend quite some time doing it!! She knows Im skeptical but even so I have to check these things out for myself. :yes: I wouldn't even dare bring up the subject with her family, as they are the very very rational down to earth types

Just for the record if you asked ME do I believe in ufo's, without getting technical about the words used id have to say yes. Ive seen some odd things in the skies about a half dozen times in 30 odd years. But I dont know what Ive seen - as its unidentified. But asking a more precise question like would I believe in alien visitation...It'd be a firm NO.

My position precisely.

Of course we can all agree that there are UFOs, but UFOs do not equate to visiting aliens UFOs equates to UNIDENTIFIED flying objects.

p.s. Your missus sounds just like mine.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

Easy I would have thought. The poll indicates the majority are believers . Here it is the reverse. That's not a complaint, just an observation,

On the basis that there could be a correlation between 'UFO''s and 'crop circles not being all of terrestrial origin' ; with a majority in the US of A believing

in UFO visitations one might conclude that very large numbers do not believe that crop circles are all man made either.

Yet on this forum the possibly more vocal minority, who ridicule the idea that any crop design could be other than man made, certainly outweighs the

possible more silent majority.

I say that we each conduct our own little poll with our neighbours regarding the topic of this thread. Then meet back here and share our numbers and see what the outcome of that would be Somewhere along the line involves some math. Math and I don't get on. So someone else would have to be a numbers person.

I have no problem knocking on my neighbours door and just asking them such a random thing, though obviously I'll go into detail and explain the purpose of it. I'm sure my neighbours would understand. Who doesn't love randomness, eh?! :tsu:

Kind Regards :clap:

• Like 1