Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poll suggests 48% believe in alien visitation

UM-Bot

well heres an on-line poll for anyone to vote on. No signup required just vote!

When you have voted you'll see the statistics, of everyone else who voted

Poll: Do You Believe in Aliens?

http://www.space.com...rrestrials.html

total votes at time of this posting are

Total Votes: 14482

.So thats a lot of input...

eta

Thinking about it though, the question is quite broad. I believe aliens must exist elsewhere in some form, even worm like or just bacteria..so I have to vote YES under the bluntness of the question

But do I believe theyre coming here? Do I believe they even could? because then Id vote a "Not sure to NO"

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I think we would be rather big-headed to assume that in this vast expanse of space we are the only planet which supports life...

I think we would be rather big-headed to assume that in this vast expanse of space we are the only planet which supports life...

Which is totally irrelevant.

The question is NOT whether people believe that life exists on other planets it is whether UFOs are of non-terrestrial origin.

Ask those two questions of a bunch of astronomers and you will almost certainly get an overwhelming yes to the first and a no to the second.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

Funnily enough you're not the first one to say that on this forum. But why would it be big headed?

• Like 1

well heres an on-line poll for anyone to vote on. No signup required just vote!

When you have voted you'll see the statistics, of everyone else who voted

http://www.space.com...rrestrials.html

total votes at time of this posting are

Total Votes: 14482

.So thats a lot of input...

eta

Thinking about it though, the question is quite broad. I believe aliens must exist elsewhere in some form, even worm like or just bacteria..so I have to vote YES under the bluntness of the question

But do I believe theyre coming here? Do I believe they even could? because then Id vote a "Not sure to NO"

Jeeze! just voted, now thats a whole lot different in results.

• Like 1

Jeeze! just voted, now thats a whole lot different in results.

as it stores cookies so you cant vote twice, what was the number of votes? I cant see it, all I see is what I saw when I voted, ie: Total Votes: 14482

1. Yes - We may not have found them yet, but they're out there. 90.98% (13179 votes)
  2. No - Aliens are just part of science fiction. 4.56% (660 votes)
  3. I'm not sure 4.47% (647 votes)
  4. Total Votes: 14486

I was a yes vote on this question.

• Like 2

At what % do we Get a Winner? :alien::whistle:

I think the winner is pretty conclusive already. :alien::yes: see above post, I just put it on.

Edited by freetoroam

I've seen a number of polls over the years asking the public at large if some UFO's are extraterrestrial space ships. The 48% yes response is pretty much in line with most of these. This seems to suggest that the idea of extraterrestrial visitors has saturated the public mind to the greatest extent possible. The remaining half would seem unlikely to change their minds, short of obvious overt ET contact, or statements by world governments and/or the scientific establishment affirming the reality of extraterrestrial visits.

Edited by bison

I've seen a number of polls over the years asking the public at large if some UFO's are extraterrestrial space ships. The 48% yes response is pretty much in line with most of these. This seems to suggest that the idea of extraterrestrial visitors has saturated the public mind to the greatest extent possible. The remaining half would seem unlikely to change their minds, short of obvious overt ET contact, or statements by world governments and/or the scientific establishment affirming the reality of extraterrestrial visits.

Which just means that there are those who look at things with a more critical eye regarding the evidence available. I'm glad that number is above 50% but honestly I'd like to see it higher. In my head I just imagine charlatans rubbing their hands together and twirling their mustaches with a sinister chuckle when they see numbers like this.

tumblr_lw80vfKeXS1qaselw.png

Let's face it, as far as venues to propagate a scam, UFOlogy is a low hanging fruit.

Edited by Slave2Fate
  • Like 1

You always notice when someone is on weak ice on an internet conversation when they resort to tossing dirt instead of having a sensible conversation. Sorry for my lack of humor, but it's hard to have it when you only aim the humor towards those who have different opinions than yours. To Slavetofate.

About Waspie's comment about astronomers not believing in our rock having been visited, I'm not a believer really. But I dont shut out the possibility, because they could be robots that are programmed to self-destruct after growing life-forms in which they can transfer their consciousness, for example. Or use any other high tech to make the trip. It doesn't make sense to me that people can't assume to grasp how advanced the UFOs would be but still believe with certainty that they dont exist. I know my thinking makes no sense if you think with logic only, but logic isn't the only correct form of thought. And all forms of thought are fallible in the hands of those who use them.

You always notice when someone is on weak ice on an internet conversation when they resort to tossing dirt instead of having a sensible conversation. Sorry for my lack of humor, but it's hard to have it when you only aim the humor towards those who have different opinions than yours. To Slavetofate [...]

Beg your pardon... Fantasy driven folks ARE "on weak ice"... Be it on UFO subject, or vaccines, or GMOs, or ghosts, or (whatever fantasy you can put here)... S2F had put it quite nicely, without "tossing dirt"...

Damn, you can learn humor from Kimi (Kimi Räikkönen)...

[...]

About Waspie's comment about astronomers not believing in our rock having been visited, I'm not a believer really. But I dont shut out the possibility, because they could be robots that are programmed to self-destruct after growing life-forms in which they can transfer their consciousness, for example. Or use any other high tech to make the trip. It doesn't make sense to me that people can't assume to grasp how advanced the UFOs would be but still believe with certainty that they dont exist. I know my thinking makes no sense if you think with logic only, but logic isn't the only correct form of thought. And all forms of thought are fallible in the hands of those who use them.

If we will start counting all possibilities... Fairies are real, and we have photos of those... Here you go...

Point is: are we being (were) visited? Do we have proof of that?

You can have a 101000000000 reasons to believe or not believe something bmk, you can keep making them up, but it doesn't change how believable your reasons are for others if you're dishonest between the lines. If we dont have proof of something, does it mean it doesn't exist or that we dont have proof of it or both?

And we obviously have world-apart different views about what tossing dirt means, unless you pretend you dont realise.

Edited by Mikko-kun

You can have a 101000000000 reasons to believe or not believe something bmk, you can keep making them up, but it doesn't change how believable your reasons are for others if you're dishonest between the lines. If we dont have proof of something, does it mean it doesn't exist or that we dont have proof of it or both?

[...]

I prefer knowledge instead of belief. Do I believe Earth circles around the Sun? No, I do not believe that. I know the data that show Earth is traveling around the Sun. See the difference?

[...]

And we obviously have world-apart different views about what tossing dirt means, unless you pretend you dont realise.

Pointing out obvious fallacies/ignorance is "tossing dirt"? Well, then, I'm happy loonies bought tickets to ride the comet (Heavens Gate crap). Honestly, with overpopulation, I'd encourage that sort of loonies go away, just don't bring kids to that BS.

One question also ? When they do Land,Are we going to ask for there Birth certificate.? :tu:

Heh... Birth certificate wouldn't be accepted... Imagine that wig driven guy causing the stir...

Do you know everything, bmk?

Yes, I do.

On the serious note, I prefer to educate myself instead of parroting half witted investigations, etc.

The fact that UFOlogy attracts some charlatans is scarcely an argument against the field as a whole. The medical arts have, and still do attract quite a few scam artists and cranks. This doesn't entitle us to dismiss the field of medicine entirely.

Have I shared my longish list, on this site, of scientifically trained and legitimately credentialed persons who have endorsed the extraterrestrial hypothesis in regard to some UFOs? If not perhaps a new thread, re this, is in order.

Edited by bison

I prefer knowledge instead of belief. Do I believe Earth circles around the Sun? No, I do not believe that. I know the data that show Earth is traveling around the Sun. See the difference?

Pointing out obvious fallacies/ignorance is "tossing dirt"? Well, then, I'm happy loonies bought tickets to ride the comet (Heavens Gate crap). Honestly, with overpopulation, I'd encourage that sort of loonies go away, just don't bring kids to that BS.

Then why do you say stuff like this? You dont think it's insulting? You dont think it's nihilistic? If you feel bad, you really think taking it on others will help? You should know better by now, after all the crap you've taken on me and others here.

Edited by Mikko-kun

Then why do you say stuff like this? [...]

Still can't figure out?

[...] You dont think it's insulting? [...]

Depends.

[...] You dont think it's nihilistic?[...]

Slightly... So what?

[...] If you feel bad, you really think taking it on others will help? [...]

Yes

[...] You should know better by now, after all the crap you've taken on me and others here.

Boo hoo... I don't give a rats munch about "grown-up loonies" taking their own lives, the danger is where loonies give their loonaticism to young people.
  • Like 1

I'll say this just once bmk, something any psychologer will tell you if you ask if it's true. If you keep pushing people long enough, they push you back, no matter how peaceful they are. I have no desire to do that for you just because you're too stupid and/or spoiled to realise this. The more you push, the more they can push back. People call it karma. Psychologers and astrologers alike call it projection. You'd call it not being a sissy. If you'd truly think you'd have nothing to lose, then you wouldn't have to lose your good feeling through pushing the crap you have on others, but you do.

And one day, when you see how miserable it can be to where you at least want to portray us you are, mentally, it will be all the harder to climb back up. But it's always easy to keep falling down that drain. So you keep at it if you want, I ain't gonna stop you.

And dont bother replying to me, use that energy to for once think what I say more thoroughly, even if it hurts you. The pain is a sign of you being human, dont run from it.

• Like 1

I'll say this just once bmk, something any psychologer will tell you if you ask if it's true. If you keep pushing people long enough, they push you back, no matter how peaceful they are. I have no desire to do that for you just because you're too stupid and/or spoiled to realise this. The more you push, the more they can push back. People call it karma. Psychologers and astrologers alike call it projection. You'd call it not being a sissy. If you'd truly think you'd have nothing to lose, then you wouldn't have to lose your good feeling through pushing the crap you have on others, but you do.

[...]

Wow...wall of text... Karma? Heh, you will get it....
  • Like 1

The fact that UFOlogy attracts some charlatans is scarcely an argument against the field as a whole. The medical arts have, and still do attract quite a few scam artists and cranks. This doesn't entitle us to dismiss the field of medicine entirely.

Have I shared my longish list, on this site, of scientifically trained and legitimately credentialed persons who have endorsed the extraterrestrial hypothesis in regard to some UFOs? If not perhaps a new thread, re this, is in order.

I wasn't being dismissive at all, the UFO phenomena is real. The ETH, not so much. Unfortunately they have become so intertwined that they become indistinguishable from each other at times. Your example of medical scams only proves my point, critical thought and honest investigation is the only thing that will deter people looking to take advantage of those who can't or won't do such for themselves. As far as your list of credible scientists who support the ETH, what percentage of all scientists would that list indicate? If that list isn't in the thousands (at least) what does that indicate overall?

• Like 2