Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US, Russia reach deal on Syria's chemical

docyabut2

The United States and Russia struck a deal Saturday under which Syria will allow its stockpile of chemical weapons to be removed or destroyed by next year — easing a crisis over a threatened American military attack.

Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, announced the deal after a third day of talks in Geneva.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/14/20490098-us-russia-reach-deal-on-syrias-chemical-weapons?lite

As much as I don`t agree with President Obama on a lot of issues, or that he`s a weak president. I do have to give credit for this one.If he did not threaten a strike,nothing would have been settle on the removable of those chemical weapons , just like when President Kenney threaten to strike Cuba., if Russia did,nt agree to get the nukes out of there.It does take lot of courage to make a stand.

I reckon President Putin saved Obama's ass so he didn't have to embarrass himself and America.

• Like 1

As much as I don`t agree with President Obama on a lot of issues, or that he`s a weak president. I do have to give credit for this one.If he did not threaten a strike,nothing would have been settle on the removable of those chemical weapons , just like when President Kenney threaten to strike Cuba., if Russia did,nt agree to get the nukes out of there.It does take lot of courage to make a stand.

How much you wanna bet, that's probably how they will describe it (or something similar to that) in future U.S. History books? If everything follows through as planned, of course.

Just ignore McCain and Graham; they are speaking like total idiots.

POW "shell-shock" or old age, or both.

• Like 2

Oh good what a relief. Now they can keep on killing thousands of women and children in more conventional terms. I hate seeing children suffer before they die.

100,000 - 1,400 = 98,600

You think they would be talking to their "allies" to stop the bloodshed, wouldn't you?

• Like 4

Just ignore McCain and Graham; they are speaking like total idiots.

POW "shell-shock" or old age, or both.

Yes, well given that McCain was caught red-handed playing poker on his phone while they were putting the case for and and against military action in Congress I would be less than impressed by anyone who thought his opinion counted in this matter one iota.

• Like 2

Yes, well given that McCain was caught red-handed playing poker on his phone while they were putting the case for and and against military action in Congress I would be less than impressed by anyone who thought his opinion counted in this matter one iota.

Lol. Then he lost on top of that! Or at least they say he did.

That'll learn him! :yes:

• Like 1

Lol. Then he lost on top of that! Or at least they say he did.

That'll learn him! :yes:

He said that himself - from the horse's mouth "I lost thousands in that game".

• Like 1

He said that himself - from the horse's mouth "I lost thousands in that game".

That's right, he did say that didn't he. Expensive lesson, but I have a feeling that's just chump change to that dude.

Sounds like he might have a gambling problem, as well.

• Like 1

I think it is a delaying tactic and the Syrians will find some excuse for doing nothing and the Russians will veto anything put in front of the Security Council. Or maybe a few will be handed over and then some excuse found.

Of course Obama has his escape from a politically unpopular action, so the murder of those men, women and children in such a horrible way will end up helping the Syrian regime after all.

• Like 1

I think it is a delaying tactic and the Syrians will find some excuse for doing nothing and the Russians will veto anything put in front of the Security Council. Or maybe a few will be handed over and then some excuse found.

Of course Obama has his escape from a politically unpopular action, so the murder of those men, women and children in such a horrible way will end up helping the Syrian regime after all.

It's just a figleaf for Obama. The world just watched the reintroduction of chemical warfare, yawned and looked away. When it gets used in a Paris or NY subway I wonder if they'll be yawning?
  • Like 2

I think the west just needs to hold its hands up and admit we backed the wrong side. and embarrassingly the rebels i believe used the chemical weapons. thats why we witnessed a weak UN backed inspector mission. not to apportion blame.

Obama's whole mind set changed when the British decided not to go along with a strike from that point the US as been backpedaling. Obama went from imminent strike, to looking at a way to backtrack but at the same time - saving face. so he decided to give congress a vote which gave him ten days wriggle room, when it was evident over the coming days that the only willing strike partners were the French another way out was needed, step forward Russia and the situation we have today with decommissioning chemical weapons. etc....

When is the west going to learn, the middle east is full of dictators for a reason, in that region you need a strong hard line leader to keep a lid on the pressure cooker, its no wonder we see autocracy in the middle east, and lets not kid ourselves, even when we remove these type of leaders the western style of democracy we want and the type of democracy the people want are two different things and it usually ends up with a right mess. usually ten years of bloodshed before a moderate leader takes charge, followed by a return to autocracy - and as long as this leader is supportive to the west we'll do business with them.

• Like 4

There are one or two would be Dictators appearing in the west if they get their own way,no names,no pack drill, but we know who they are and the sad thing is We voted them into power.

• Like 1

Sounds like some character assassination going on above.

It's actually a bonafide fact - made the news and he stated the fact that he lost thousands to a journalist. Therefore he has assassinated his own character - we are just commenting on it. :yes:

He's been the stolid ringleader of the interventionists. He's probably worked as hard as anyone to try to get us into Syria. He even went to Syria more than once to personally to meet with the rebels. His mind is certainly made up but I couldn't agree that he doesn't care about the issue. He cares passionately about it, he's just only passionate about intervention.

• Like 1

He's been the stolid ringleader of the interventionists. He's probably worked as hard as anyone to try to get us into Syria. He even went to Syria more than once to personally to meet with the rebels. His mind is certainly made up but I couldn't agree that he doesn't care about the issue. He cares passionately about it, he's just only passionate about intervention.

Whatever you say Yamato, here is him being "stolid"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2410616/Sen-John-McCain-playing-POKER-crucial-Senate-hearing-military-action-Syria.html

I can't imagine a more grave subject for a senate hearing than military intervention personally but I guess I'm not John McCain.

Whatever you say Yamato, here is him being "stolid"

http://www.dailymail...tion-Syria.html

I can't imagine a more grave subject for a senate hearing than military intervention personally but I guess I'm not John McCain.

I think bringing the gravest subject to the Senate floor in the first place is the problem. What he plays with on his phone? Personally I'd like them all to play with their phones and vote No to interventionism instead of taking any of that theater seriously. Then it's not so grave after all.

• Like 1

I think bringing the gravest subject to the Senate floor in the first place is the problem. What he plays with on his phone? Personally I'd like them all to play with their phones and vote No to interventionism instead of taking any of that theater seriously. Then it's not so grave after all.

Make up your mind Yamato which is he - a stolid supporter of interventionism or the guy playing with his phone and not taking interventionism seriously?

Make up your mind Yamato which is he - a stolid supporter of interventionism or the guy playing with his phone and not taking interventionism seriously?

He's one of the most stolid supporters of foreign interventionism in the US government bar none. That is not mutually exclusive to playing with his phone so my mind was already made up thanks. I didn't stretch playing with a phone all the way to your conclusion that it means "not taking intervention seriously." How do you know that playing with his phone interfered with taking intervention seriously? It might have helped him take it even more seriously for all you know. People take breaks. Maybe instead of going to the restroom, John McCain played with his phone.

He's one of the most stolid supporters of foreign interventionism in the US government bar none. That is not mutually exclusive to playing with his phone so my mind was already made up thanks. I didn't stretch playing with a phone all the way to your conclusion that it means "not taking intervention seriously." How do you know that playing with his phone interfered with taking intervention seriously? It might have helped him take it even more seriously for all you know. People take breaks. Maybe instead of going to the restroom, John McCain played with his phone.

If I got caught playing poker on my phone at a meeting at work - I would be fired, that's not what I am being paid to do. He can play his games in his own time or when he is alone,not when he is attending a discussion he is supposed to be absorbing and understanding on behalf of the folk who voted for him to be there representing them and their need for responsible governance of the USA's global obligations and decisions.

• Like 1

If I got caught playing poker on my phone at a meeting at work - I would be fired, that's not what I am being paid to do. He can play his games in his own time or when he is alone,not when he is attending a discussion he is supposed to be absorbing and understanding on behalf of the folk who voted for him to be there representing them and their need for responsible governance of the USA's global obligations and decisions.

If my employees are productive, if they do what they're paid to do, then whatever they want to do during some boring interlude in their day is fine with me. I'm not a tyrant, I believe in maintaining good morale and letting people be free while they're doing what I'm paying them to do. You're not being paid to use the toilet and you won't get fired for using the toilet so that's not the difference that matters. What happens with you and your boss at work isn't a reason to do it elsewhere.

John McCain has no responsible governance of the USA's global obligations and decisions, and not playing with his phone wouldn't equate to all that, believe me. If you can take his poison seriously just because he wasn't playing with his phone, you're not paying attention and that's the bloody point of all this meaningless photo crap. It's another diversion. Media tripe that focuses on nonsense like this is deliberately designed to take your attention off of what John McCain is actually doing and actually saying because oh look, he's playing on his phone, how terrible.

Really? Playing with his phone was the best thing John McCain did at work that day.

If he fell asleep instead during one of those molasses meetings he'd be getting branded in the liberal media for being too old...again mission accomplished, because it's taking peoples' attention away from what's really important. What next? John McCain laughed and so he's not taking something seriously? Democrat media nerd nip; that's all it is.

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

That is hard to say; it seems to me the rebels in Syria would be more likely too succeed if they avoid souring the west. Right now it looks to many as a "choice-of-devils," and the rebels would do well to keep their rhetoric against the regime and not others.