Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptic meets UFO

Nameraca

A quick backstory.

Look at my posts: ALL skeptical posts, from a while ago. I was opened to the idea, I just wanted proof. Couple years ago I went "Would be cool if we saw a UFO". Be careful what you wish for.

I'm 24 now. Never took drugs for my entire life, last drink was a single glass of wine on July 3.

I'm skeptical. When I was a kid, I believed I saw a cigar ufo. My sister saw it too, but she kept saying it was just a weird plane. Growing up, while the idea was always in the back of my mind, I dismissed it as a kid's perception. I stopped being afraid andfascinated, moving on to finishing school and getting a career.

Until this morning, where I saw a UFO.

Now, let's be objective for a second. I cannot affirm positively that it is extra-terrestrial in nature. I cannot say it is anything besides what I saw - because I know no more. I can only tell you what I saw - and then we discuss what it can be, without dismissing any theory. Occam's razor is nice, but sometimes the most simple is not the reality. So we consider everything - from the simplest theory, to air balloons to planes, to aliens to Cthulus, and why not, radio controlled toy planes.

Got up at 6h20AM on September 15, 2013. I was WELL awake. Browsing the net on my phone, until 6h50 approx. Then I took my towel, getting ready for my shower, looked out my window and there it was. A bright, cigar/round shaped light. There was little sun, mostly clouds.

I didn't film it. The idea crossed my mind, and I actually could have. I have no excuse. But my reasoning was this - alone in my appartment, unaware of the thing I'm watching's intentions. If I was with people, I would have. But I was scared. So instead I ran out and yelled to a nearby woman walking to her car to look. She didn't. I made sure to keep my distance so she wouldn't be afraid of me, could have thought I was a thug trying to get her attention.

Had she looked, she would have seen it. Now, I deeply regret not having taken a video. It moved from south to north, parrallel to my appartment bedroom window. Then, it made circles in the sky. I believe it was about 5 to 10 kilometers away, and was about maybe 100 to 300 meters high, a bit taller than average buildings (3-5 floors). I didn't see it leave, it stayed for about 2 to five minutes. It was about 7h05 by then.

I called a local ufology group. The guy who answered, while knowledgeable about cases, was a bit too emotionally involved in this. He gave me information about how many reports we had in the province this last year and what kind of reports. But he believed in aliens and silly stuff he may not have personally seen. I believe in proof - I have personal proof of a flying orb - not of aliens. And hopefully I'll never get that proof.

He said there was many cases this year- many false cases, but he (he is not the only one receiving the reports) himself had not yet talked to someone with a sighting like mine.

Hallucination? I was wide awake... not under the influence of anything. This is something I won't compromise on. My health is very good. This sighting was not induced by my body, I can positively affirm this.

There are no skyscrapers near where I live, you will find pictures below.

Well, this is the internet. I'm not out to convincing skeptics. I was one of you. And I wanted to stay one of you, with all my heart.

Can't dismiss what I've seen, but I want to take an objective approach to this - I reiterate that I cannot affirm anything more than my direct experience, which is seeing a flying light making circles in the sky. Beyond that, I cannot say.

I'm quite rational, so let's avoid the "psychic, alien contact" discussions.

Edited by Nameraca

A quick backstory.

Look at my posts: ALL skeptical posts, from a while ago. I was opened to the idea, I just wanted proof. Couple years ago I went "Would be cool if we saw a UFO". Be careful what you wish for.

I'm 24 now. Never took drugs for my entire life, last drink was a single glass of wine on July 3.

I'm skeptical. When I was a kid, I believed I saw a cigar ufo. My sister saw it too, but she kept saying it was just a weird plane. Growing up, while the idea was always in the back of my mind, I dismissed it as a kid's perception. I stopped being afraid andfascinated, moving on to finishing school and getting a career.

Now, let's be objective for a second. I cannot affirm positively that it is extra-terrestrial in nature. I cannot say it is anything besides what I saw - because I know no more. I can only tell you what I saw - and then we discuss what it can be, without dismissing any theory. Occam's razor is nice, but sometimes the most simple is not the reality. So we consider everything - from the simplest theory, to air balloons to planes, to aliens to Cthulus, and why not, radio controlled toy planes.

Got up at 6h20AM on September 15, 2013. I was WELL awake. Browsing the net on my phone, until 6h50 approx. Then I took my towel, getting ready for my shower, looked out my window and there it was. A bright, cigar/round shaped light. There was little sun, mostly clouds.

I didn't film it. The idea crossed my mind, and I actually could have. I have no excuse. But my reasoning was this - alone in my appartment, unaware of the thing I'm watching's intentions. If I was with people, I would have. But I was scared. So instead I ran out and yelled to a nearby woman walking to her car to look. She didn't. I made sure to keep my distance so she wouldn't be afraid of me, could have thought I was a thug trying to get her attention.

Had she looked, she would have seen it. Now, I deeply regret not having taken a video. It moved from south to north, parrallel to my appartment bedroom window. Then, it made circles in the sky. I believe it was about 5 to 10 kilometers away, and was about maybe 100 to 300 meters high, a bit taller than average buildings (3-5 floors). I didn't see it leave, it stayed for about 2 to five minutes. It was about 7h05 by then.

I called a local ufology group. The guy who answered, while knowledgeable about cases, was a bit too emotionally involved in this. He gave me information about how many reports we had in the province this last year and what kind of reports. But he believed in aliens and silly stuff he may not have personally seen. I believe in proof - I have personal proof of a flying orb - not of aliens. And hopefully I'll never get that proof.

He said there was many cases this year- many false cases, but he (he is not the only one receiving the reports) himself had not yet talked to someone with a sighting like mine.

Hallucination? I was wide awake... not under the influence of anything. This is something I won't compromise on. My health is very good. This sighting was not induced by my body, I can positively affirm this.

Well, this is the internet. I'm not out to convincing skeptics. I was one of you. And I wanted to stay one of you, with all my heart.

Can't dismiss what I've seen, but I want to take an objective approach to this - I reiterate that I cannot affirm anything more than my direct experience, which is seeing a flying light making circles in the sky. Beyond that, I cannot say.

Ive had a half dozen sightings in my time, no kidding. And yet I remain skeptical. I dont know what I saw so why should I suddenly become a believer? But the camera/piccy would have been great on your sighting!

• Like 4

A quick backstory.

A brave and earnest testimony. Thanks for sharing. You have seen more than I have.

:tu:

• Like 2

Well if you could not identify it, then it was surely a UFO. We have many of them in the skies, mainly man made by the military.

Would say stay skeptical in terms of it being from another galaxy, but just incase you convert into a believer, this is for you:

shellsuit.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your story, Nameraca, but I have to ask some questions - some of this truly puzzles me..

First, where was this - it sounds like a reasonably populated area, and at that time of morning there surely must have been many other people up and about - yet no other reports? Did you not ring the police/media/meteorology agencies?

Got up at 6h20AM on September 15, 2013. I was WELL awake. Browsing the net on my phone, until 6h50 approx.

So the phone was nearby and on.. It's a shame you didn't attempt to capture anything.

I didn't film it. The idea crossed my mind, and I actually could have. I have no excuse. But my reasoning was this - alone in my appartment, unaware of the thing I'm watching's intentions. If I was with people, I would have. But I was scared.

I really don't understand why a distant light (see below) would fill you with fear.. Why would you think it had any 'intentions' at all regarding you? Why not those closer to it?

So instead I ran out and yelled to a nearby woman walking to her car to look. She didn't.

I guess we're all different, but would anyone else have done this, rather than get the camera going? And if you had, would you not be a little surprised if the person you warned/asked to look, simply refused? I've got to say that this sounds more like what might happen in a lucid dream... If some person came out of a nearby house and yelled to look behind me, I'd .. look behind me!

I made sure to keep my distance so she wouldn't be afraid of me, could have thought I was a thug trying to get her attention.

As I said above, I find her reaction very hard to comprehend. If you had raced up to her and grabbed her shoulders, maybe, but from a distance she completely ignored your suggestion to look? Is it possible she was from a foreign country or was blind/deaf?

5-10 kilometers is quite a distance, and that is quite low to the ground. Why could it not have been a traffic/police chopper with searchlight/s - the behavior matches, and depending on angle they can look quite ovaloid/cigar-shaped..

Anyway, my suggestions are:

- go talk to that lady and ask her why she behaved as she did. :D

- get yourself a decent camera if possible, but even if it's the phone, film some incoming aircraft with their landing lights on, and/or a police/traffic chopper and see if you can tell us how your original sighting differed.

- try to find someone else who saw it - go to the media and see if they will run the story.

- contact your local airspace authorities and ask if they have records of chopper activity at that time.

• Like 1

A quick backstory.

I am just looking to my left and seeing

Nameraca

Alien Embryo

• default_large.png
  • bullet_black.png
  • 9 posts

All those posts huh?

I have heard the old Skeptic Turned believer nonsense enough times to take it with a very large grain of salt. Something like the Rock of Gibraltar. It usually turn out to be someone selling a book.

Not much detail on the UFO, not sure what there is to work with there.

• Like 5

may I ask what you wear to bed?

are you male or female?

at 6.50 you grab a towel ready to shower, then you say the incident lasted 2-5 minutes, then say it left at around 7.05.....the times dont add up? please ellaborate on the sequence of events?

thanks

Di not let eyes deceive you... it may have been a stray astral being!

~we only know what we can see~

~we only know what we can see~

That's debatable.

Welcome to UM by the way. :tu:

• Like 1

I'd like to clear some things, seeing as some people DID not read the first post, or missed some parts. It's quite important to read everything. These four points will address this and reply to some other well written posts as well.

1: This is not skeptic turned believer nonsense like two of you insinuated. Tell me, what should I be a believer of? Aliens? Ghosts? Ball lightning? I saw a ball of light in the sky, why should I start believe in aliens? When did I say I saw a flying saucer or an alien ship? I did not, I even clearly stated that I cannot say what it was that I saw, beyond what I saw: A fast ball of light. Like I said, I'm not going to blabber about UFOs coming to stop nuclear launches or motherships diving into river and speculate on their intent. I'm just asking for explanations for what I've seen - you won't debunk my story with questioning because I did not invent it. It's fine if you don't believe me, but I don't care if you don't, so stop wasting your time coming to tell me. (It's like going a to game developer and telling them you won't buy their game - they don't care!)

2: About police and finding other witnesses: Yes, but I won't call 911 for that, it's not an emergency, I'll call the station, but it's closed on sunday. I can't go around town asking people if they saw a UFO, I will however contact the local newspaper and perhaps people saw it too. I'll do that tomorrow, as today (monday) I had better things to do that actually matter in life, but I'll call the police and newspaper first thing tomorrow as I'll have the time. (Tuesday)

3: About filming: It was the first time, as an adult, I saw something like that. However, my policy is, my own security over anything. I don't know what that thing is, I do not know it's intent - I don't know what it is, I don't know what it can do. So, better find people (security in numbers) who can also witness it. In addition to security, it proves it was not an hallucination. Regardless, I am now aware of flying light behaviours now... but can't very well say next time I'll film it. Because I don't want to see one again. But yes, I suppose, calming down, taking out the cellphone cam out is the best thing to do if I have the bad luck of seeing another.

4: Time sequence: First, time is approximative, maybe I should have been more clear. Second, I did not check the exact time. I know that at 6h50 I put down my phone and got up. Walked around for about 3 mins, preparing stuff around my house, picked up my towel, turned off my phone clock, it was about 6h55 by then, saw it, then at around 7, I went to get the neighbour and it was gone by 7h05.

I think these four point answers many questions.

I will contact authorities and the newspaper tomorrow, and I will be calling traffic control now. I'm not certain this will lead to anything, but it's certainly interesting.

EDIT: Called traffic control. Reported it. They said they had no other witness who called, but they will do whatever they do whenever someone calls about a UFO.

Still, you have a point. Seeing this, how will my beliefs change? Well it's very simple. Having witnessed a UFO myself, I am now aware that certain cases might be true. That's it. I will never tolerate nonsense like generalizations and baseless speculation. What matters with a witness is two thing: What they saw. Not what they think, or their theories. What they saw is what matters. But there is indeed a problem if people start making more hoaxes. True stories lose credibility. But... there are things.

Edited by Nameraca

I'd like to clear some things, seeing as some people DID not read the first post, or missed some parts. It's quite important to read everything. These four points will address this and reply to some other well written posts as well.

1: This is not skeptic turned believer nonsense like two of you insinuated. Tell me, what should I be a believer of? Aliens? Ghosts? Ball lightning? I saw a ball of light in the sky, why should I start believe in aliens? When did I say I saw a flying saucer or an alien ship? I did not, I even clearly stated that I cannot say what it was that I saw, beyond what I saw: A fast ball of light. Like I said, I'm not going to blabber about UFOs coming to stop nuclear launches or motherships diving into river and speculate on their intent. I'm just asking for explanations for what I've seen - you won't debunk my story with questioning because I did not invent it. It's fine if you don't believe me, but I don't care if you don't, so stop wasting your time coming to tell me. (It's like going a to game developer and telling them you won't buy their game - they don't care!)

DIdn't you imply you were a skeptic who had a reason to consider option you had not considered before? What else can that possibly be if not the ETH?

You also asked people to help you define whatever you claim to have seen, but most of your post is about how you are not a FTB and how you reacted to the claim, all you gave the forum is:

A bright, cigar/round shaped light. There was little sun, mostly clouds.

What do you honestly expect people to respond with? I understand that speaking across oceans has it's limitations, and we may well be dealing with simple cultural slang, however the bulk of your post seems to speak about the event, and tell us nothing of it, yet you are asking for answers, and if a real skeptic, then you know that any decent skeptic is going to avoid wild speculation, so again I ask what your expectation is? You say below that you have no time for wild speculation, yet you seem to be promoting such? Or did you mean to ask something else and distance be the problem here?

I do not care if you are telling the truth or not, but I'd like to determine that before wasting time on yet another FTB with a wild story that just has to be believed - and if you really are a skeptic, you won't take offense to that. You would consider that a natural progression toward an eventual conclusion.

Still, you have a point. Seeing this, how will my beliefs change? Well it's very simple. Having witnessed a UFO myself, I am now aware that certain cases might be true. That's it. I will never tolerate nonsense like generalizations and baseless speculation. What matters with a witness is two thing: What they saw. Not what they think, or their theories. What they saw is what matters. But there is indeed a problem if people start making more hoaxes. True stories lose credibility. But... there are things.

Certain cases of what may be true? UAP or the ETH? And if the ETH, then why? How does your sighting fortify that ideal?

Nobody denies UAP, Hessdalen is an ongoing study of UAP commonly referred to by skeptics.

I completely agree that descriptions must be as vanilla as is possible to be of any use. As soon as personal interpretation enters the picture, testimony is only good for the bin. Unfortunately, that is the majority of the time, which is why some people are probably still hanging onto the little green men concepts.

• Like 2

A quick backstory.

Idon't know what you saw but you were probably right not to film it it would have been torn to shreds on here anyway :yes: Edited by Universal Being

Idon't know what you saw but you were probably right not to film it it would have been torn to shreds on here anyway :yes:

Well thats one way to view the process. Actually a number of things may have happened if he had film/pics. They would have been very scrutinized by the skeptics for sure, while the believers will have posted 'similar pics' and stories to fortify the OP. Yes Im a skeptic and would LOVE to see a ufo pic that cant be easily debunked, if at all. I live for such a day in fact. A ufo pic that stands up to scrutiny!!

Problem is, and no disrespect to the OP sighting, that there are a number of issues with any sightings.

Is the observer predisposed to think of alien crafts in the sky?

Is the observer aware of all the 'other' things in the skies that could look similar? If so has the observer then ruled out all other possibilities, such as blimps, r-c craft, balloons, drones,even planes that at certain angles can look wingless?

I must admit, my home is under a part of the sky which has some commercial flight paths, and also is 3 miles away from a hobbyist airstrip that flies gliders/para-gliders, microlights and small private aircraft. Then, the next town to me holds a yearly hot air balloon festival with many many balloons flying on certain days and then periodically throughout the years good weather..

So what chesses me off is that for anything I see that's strange, well, we have all the above issues to rule out first. I've seen the commercial aircraft glint very brightly in the sun like a mirror in the sky, even if only momentarily, Ive seen the same craft banking and for a minute or less it genuinely appears to be a cigar shaped thingy as the wings are not visible.

At nights I know that flashing lights in the right part of the sky are the commercial planes, as like said, I know the flight paths. Occasionally, I see a glowing orb in the distance, which I have to say is a hot air balloon firing up to keep afloat. Then we have a 'bad part' of town, a rough and sprawling housing estate which, infrequently, has a police chopper just hovering and doing surveillance, or backing up the ground forces, and it can LOOK LIKE A BLACK ORB at the right angle, and on some occasions, it turns on its powerful spotlight for people or ground searches and as it cant be heard as its a few miles away, it looks just like a ball of light hovering... A local park also has remote control enthusiasts that fly small planes and choppers

Then we have the kids buying cheap Chinese lanterns and these I see very regular.

In a nutshell then, where I live, I genuinely have a whole lot to rule OUT, before I can rule a UFO in.

So this is what the skeptics may have done with any picture posted. But is that such a bad thing to do? Im sure Im not the only skeptic who REALLY WANTS TO SEE the ultimate debunk proof photo

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

You also asked people to help you define whatever you claim to have seen, but most of your post is about how you are not a FTB and how you reacted to the claim..

And I couldn't help noticing that the possible explanations, like the traffic/police chopper with searchlight/s, were notably ignored - obviously of no interest...

so .. I'm out.

• Like 2

I am neither a skeptic or a believer. (weird, I know.) I just decided to put aside my judgment for a while.

In my life, I've actually seen flying objects that simply couldn't be from our technology. Twice. But I am still careful not to run to the conclusion.

I

Why I can ' t be so lucky... :)

And I couldn't help noticing that the possible explanations, like the traffic/police chopper with searchlight/s, were notably ignored - obviously of no interest...

so .. I'm out.

I'd love to know what the "local ufology group" had to say specifically. Seems strange to instantly liken it to other sightings on such a vague description.

I

Why I can ' t be so lucky... :)

Try a holiday in Australia next. If you stay in channel country - notably Birdsville or Windorah, you have a good chance of seeing a Min Min, but note, it is said that anyone who chases the lights and catches them will never return to tell the tale. :D

Muahahahahaha

The UFO's I have seen appear to be natural phenomena, I have no reason at all to think otherwise.

A brave and earnest testimony. Thanks for sharing. You have seen more than I have.

:tu:

ZOSER! yet another brave testimony! Does that mean you NEVER saw an "actual" UFO? May i ask where your strong belief derives from? (i'm REALLY curious now, so if you wish, answer me in PM...)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was passing by today and came to see if there was answers. I'm not very active on this forum, I just like reading about stuff every now and then.

Police searchlight and choppers possibilities were dismissed because of the speed of the object. They don't go that fast, and I've made it clear about the sharp turns. Fastest thing it could be is those small, fast birds (sparrows, I think, in english) with a light attached to it.

I've yet to see another similar object ever. It's a random sighting of something that is hard to explain. Nothing else. Even in videos, I can't find anything that looks like it. Most UFO videos are static lights, that could be anything.

Silent hovering lights are most likely not ufos. I'm still skeptical of anything that isn't moving very fast.

Edited by Nameraca

ZOSER! yet another brave testimony! Does that mean you NEVER saw an "actual" UFO? May i ask where your strong belief derives from? (i'm REALLY curious now, so if you wish, answer me in PM...)

It comes from the quality of testimony from scores of people. It's in the sincerity and the consistency.

Sorry I did not reply months ago.

You have seen more than I have.

THAT´S FOR SURE!

Idon't know what you saw but you were probably right not to film it it would have been torn to shreds on here anyway :yes:

Well, right. The idea is to challenge and test the hypothesis not simply accept it. If a mundane explanation fits, it is probably correct. It takes a lot more evidence to make a case for something else.

I was passing by today and came to see if there was answers. I'm not very active on this forum, I just like reading about stuff every now and then.

Police searchlight and choppers possibilities were dismissed because of the speed of the object. They don't go that fast, and I've made it clear about the sharp turns. Fastest thing it could be is those small, fast birds (sparrows, I think, in english) with a light attached to it.

I've yet to see another similar object ever. It's a random sighting of something that is hard to explain. Nothing else. Even in videos, I can't find anything that looks like it. Most UFO videos are static lights, that could be anything.

Silent hovering lights are most likely not ufos. I'm still skeptical of anything that isn't moving very fast.

BTW 12 posts over 4 years do not establish you as a skeptic.

Some here will revel in your description because it validates their beliefs. Others (most) will offer possible mundane explanations. In the end it is just another story. Just because you could not explain it does not mean it cannot be explained in mundane terms.

• Like 4