Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lobsters being studied for human immortality

pallidin

Scientists say they may have found the key to eternal life in an unexpected creature – lobsters.

Research shows the crustaceans possess an enzyme called telomerase, which makes them ‘biologically immortal.’ Growing older doesn’t raise their chance of death, The Sun reported.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/12/lobsters-may-be-answer-to-immortality/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2ezzoBJGP

• Like 3

Is this another stupid scientist wind up ?...why don't these guys reveal who they are, another waste of tax-payers hard earned money. Why don't they examine Redwood trees which live 1000/2000 yrs.Barring accidents there are lots of creatures which live longer than humans.

• Like 2

And when all the lobsters have been made wiped out by man, what do we do then...apart from shrivel up?

Is this another stupid scientist wind up ?...why don't these guys reveal who they are, another waste of tax-payers hard earned money. Why don't they examine Redwood trees which live 1000/2000 yrs.Barring accidents there are lots of creatures which live longer than humans.

Im sick of people saying this. First off every study done is not from a government grant. And yes studies like this actually do have a use. Everyone is so quick to say some study is dumb, but if we never examine then we will never know. We get all kinds of cures and discoveries from studying different species and plants.

And if you read the article there is actually a lot more to it then them just living longer them humans.

Or you can just keep your preconceived notions.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

Yeah, the telomerase function is extremely important regarding a cell's duplicative longevity.

In fact, telomerase dysfunction is the primary cause of organ failure in otherwise healthy older people.

The science behind this is considered very significant. Look it up on Google.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

Yeah, the telomerase function is extremely important regarding a cell's duplicative longevity.

In fact, telomerase dysfunction is the primary cause of organ failure in otherwise healthy older people.

The science behind this is considered very significant. Look it up on Google.

Exactly! I was excited when I read it. The study has potential for great advancements in health science.

• Like 1

Im sick of people saying this. First off every study done is not from a government grant. And yes studies like this actually do have a use. Everyone is so quick to say some study is dumb, but if we never examine then we will never know. We get all kinds of cures and discoveries from studying different species and plants.

And if you read the article there is actually a lot more to it then them just living longer them humans.

Or you can just keep your preconceived notions.

Point taken but you cannot compare crustaceans with humans.The article says some Lobsters weigh 19 lbs therefore they must be 140 yrs old, total crap,if they live in a good feeding area they will grow and weigh heavier unless they meet humans or octopus.Lobster farms exist and they grow fast and none of them are more than a few yrs old.Everything has an allotted life span and messing around with nature aint gonna change it.
  • Like 2

Lobsters cannot be 'aged' by observers. Nobody can tell.

There are lots of cool creatures out there which can help us. The Zebra Fish has a heart which repairs itself, viola, we can use it to prevent heart problems. The Immortal Jellyfish is, well, immortal. The Asian Naked Mole Rat does not get cancer. At least it's nearly immune. During an experiment, 20 normal rats (and some mice) were put into a container, which was constantly supplied with two of the most powerful carcinogens. It took a couple of weeks for them to develop tumours and all 20 of them did so. The Asian Naked Mole Rat were also subjected to the carcinogens, the same ones, and after 3 months, only 1 had developed a tumour. Essentially, the critter produces a liquid to help it move through tunnels, which, when removed (via science) made them just as susceptible to cancer. Another scientist removed some cells from one of the rats armpit, put it next to some human cancer cells, and watched as the rats cells attacked and killed the cancer cells (multiple kinds).

So. yeah, my point is there is plenty of research potential out there, however people are greedy and would rather destroy habitats, removing thousands of plants and creatures. Cures and treatment, all gone.

• Like 3

It's easy to tell how old a lobster is. How big it is.

They keep growing as they age.

The ones we see in restaurants are juveniles. Even the huge ones.

Thing is, they do die, but it's probably environmental...

But I too am tired of 'scientists' and their findings, depending upon the field.

And if this stuff does work, if it's ever marketed, the price will only be for the rich.

• Like 1

Lobsters cannot be 'aged' by observers. Nobody can tell.

There are lots of cool creatures out there which can help us. The Zebra Fish has a heart which repairs itself, viola, we can use it to prevent heart problems. The Immortal Jellyfish is, well, immortal. The Asian Naked Mole Rat does not get cancer. At least it's nearly immune. During an experiment, 20 normal rats (and some mice) were put into a container, which was constantly supplied with two of the most powerful carcinogens. It took a couple of weeks for them to develop tumours and all 20 of them did so. The Asian Naked Mole Rat were also subjected to the carcinogens, the same ones, and after 3 months, only 1 had developed a tumour. Essentially, the critter produces a liquid to help it move through tunnels, which, when removed (via science) made them just as susceptible to cancer. Another scientist removed some cells from one of the rats armpit, put it next to some human cancer cells, and watched as the rats cells attacked and killed the cancer cells (multiple kinds).

So. yeah, my point is there is plenty of research potential out there, however people are greedy and would rather destroy habitats, removing thousands of plants and creatures. Cures and treatment, all gone.

The British Heart Foundation is studying the zebra fish

• Like 2

Yes this is exactly what humans need, more below intelligence, retarded, selfish, immortal a** holes living longer and breeding more of the same. I hope they come with their own big steaming pots, so the rest of us plebs can feast one their succulent white flaky lobster flesh, there you go, a solution to world hunger woo hoo :) note to scientist! research something useful like cures for Cancer, MS, AIDS, Parkinsons etc. Don't waste time and resources on luxuries that only the privileged can afford!!!

Edited by kewlscot

This would not work in my case as, although there are many lobstermen in my family, I'm severely allergic to the darned things.

• Like 2

While we seem to be marking progress with the physiological extension to life. I can only wonder how we will begin to cope with the psychological ramifications of not aging. Will this make us bolder in our endeavors or diminish us through dalliance and procrastination?

The British Heart Foundation is studying the zebra fish

Are they food for Lion fish
  • Like 1

While we seem to be marking progress with the physiological extension to life. I can only wonder how we will begin to cope with the psychological ramifications of not aging. Will this make us bolder in our endeavors or diminish us through dalliance and procrastination?

Probably a bit of both... It depends on a persons mental make up... Some would just lounge around effectively doing nothing, others would go out and

energetically do the things they've always wanted to do but couldn't... Still others would just continue as they were...

The big question would be to society as a whole... Do you retire at 70, for 30 years then work another 70 (repeat)? And of course the only way this would ever be released would be for strict population/reproduction controls to be put in place...

From the article's title "Are lobsters the key to immortality?" I was hoping that they were suggesting a diet containing a lot of lobster would extend your lifespan.

Imagine my disappointment. :(

• Like 3

I would suffer if I lived forever... It's a curse, not a blessing...

I would suffer if I lived forever... It's a curse, not a blessing...

A lot of people have this view. Im curious to hear what your reasons are?

The Buddhist tradition, from the very earliest of times, has always maintained that life is suffering and that enlightenment is a way to escape this.

However, it has never said that enlightenment is necessarily the only way. I dare say if disease and death and poverty and delusions were gone and desires we can't fulfil were otherwise controlled, most people wouldn't mind living indefinitely (note, that is different from "forever.")

Some might say 83 is an extremely old age, but when you start to lose friends and family at an alarming rate, you realize that you may end up alone if you continue on past everyone you cherish. So unless my loved ones could live a very long life, too, I don't want to. Being very, very old is no fun if there is nobody to share those years with.

• Like 2