Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Telemarketers scam - Microsoft Updates.

Brian Topp

Once a year I get the same scam phone call. The caller speaks in an indian accent and would inform me that they are from Microsoft and they are tech surport. They would tell me that my data/system files are out of date and I need to update them. From my experience they would try to either fake a show on what files are "corrupted" or not "updated" or just try and tell me to go to a site to download the files.

What they are trying to do to download malware/trojan to try and purge your computer and strip any data and track your purchases and key log it.

Each time i tried to mess with them, I told them I work in microsoft IT department also and asked what area are they in. Other time I said my name is Bill gates other time i sang to the telemarketer. Each time they ignored me and kept insisting for them to help me.

Be warned, Microsoft never calls, especially with a "unknown" or gibberish name on the caller ID.

Below is a video on how a guy spent his time wasting a scammer.

• Like 1

Someone I know got scammed out of money and had to put their computer in to be fixed. They reported it and were meant to get their money back sadly they haven't. Thanks to those low lifes and other call centers calling our house phone is only on to sent or get faxes now. I had one call 10 times in one day I ended up with a sore throat from yelling countless times.

• Like 2

• Like 2

Is this what the Indians have done with our aid money, used it to try and scam us?

• Like 2

People need to understand how powerful and important computers have become over our lives. Don't take using one lightly. Learn and educate yourself before really hopping into things you aren't sure about.

• Like 2

True, Microsoft will NEVER EVER call you, unless you called first, and were disconnected and they call you back. I worked on the Microsoft Security Update team for about 2 years... Yes, I was the one writing those archaic Security Update emails you might get if you signed up for them, they come out on the second Tuesday of each month haha.... I will vouch that Microsoft won't ever call you ever about anything. LOL.

• Like 2

This happened to my mom not too long ago. They got $50 out of her, which she did get pack after filing a paypal claim. Luckily, the spyware they tried to install completely screwed up the OS to the point where she couldn't do anything, so I was able to wipe the hard drive and recover...

• Like 2

How does one fall for such a scam? I mean, I suppose it's slightly less unlikely than a deposed prince you've never heard of choosing you out of the blue to give 200 million bucks, but only slightly less. Why the hell would Microsoft call you? How would they know to call you?

I could totally see and understand people falling for this if the scammers hijacked Microsoft's tech support and contacted people making inquiries, but a phone call out of the blue?!?

I've always considered myself an arrogant person, but even I've never been so narcissistic that I believe I'm so important that a multibillion dollar company has people monitoring me so they can have someone call as a courtesy to let me know I have out of date files on my PC that aren't hurting anything...

• Like 1