Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Morphic Resonance The Answer,Curse or BS?

icon1.png Is Morphic Resonance The Answer?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this post is on the right section?..but I just thought that i'd like to get some of your opinions on a pretty interesting article on a quite convincing guy and his theories of "
Morphic Resonance.
"

It is an idea and proposer that I had never heard of before ,though apparently it has been around for some time in some shape or form. [Which just goes to highlight my ignorance. lol]..[sorry, ..the article is from April 2012 so it might be old news to some of you]

Anyway, the guy who's research and opinions that i'm referring to is 'Professor Rupert Sheldrake' ..[a bona fide scientist – a Cambridge-trained biochemist with a double-first-class honours degree and a doctorate. ] and with his unconventional line of investigations and 'conclusions', is a scientist that is causing a fair amount of ripples in the scientific world.

...I do detect that the good doctor seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder at being perhaps a little marginalised by the 'more popular scientists' ...but find it pretty hard to disagree with his assertions that 'science in general' is limiting itself by means of accepted expectations... 'convenience of results' if you like, as demonstrated by the 'speed of light being a constant' portion of the interview!...He also questions the conveniently mooted '
dark matter theory'
and the [seemingly taboo-to-question]
'big bang theory
' , ...a couple of generally accepted theories in scientific circles that I personally , have always found particularly unconvincing! [but of course he does it with much more education and eloquence behind him.]

The overall thoughts that i'm left with after reading this brief interview, and from my understanding of the implications of Sheldrake's conclusions about memories not being physically bound in the human brain, [any animal , or physical organ for that matter]...is that if it were indeed to be correct, and that 'memory and consciousness' were external to the physical body, and were ..as it were 'somehow automatically tuned into' by our brains..thus making our organic units '
conscious
'...then surely this '
could
' explain many aspects of the
paranormal enigma's
!

It could explain such perplexing things as 'Ghosts', 'Telepathy' and 'Deja vous' etc!....Might a person that is seeing the distinctly otherworldly figure of a ghost in the dark corridor of some hospital or rickety old manor house, be unconsciously tapping into someone else's memory?..quite accidentally of course!

And we have all encountered deja vous haven't we?...Couldn't someone else's memories account for that too, ..if we had inadvertently purloined them?

Telepathy could also be a kind of 'loosely-controlled morphic resonance'...perhaps the 'receiver' is tapping into the target's consciousness and memory as it happens?....and if this 'out of the physical body morphic resonance' is also free from the restraints of '
physicality and time'
...[as suggested by the appearance of figures from different timelines being witnessed by ghost witnesses] ...then it would even put the very shady genre's of 'fortune telling' and 'psychic mediums' in a new light for me!

....Of course it is all hypothetical at the moment,..and has yet to be proven! ...and yes!, it may all come to nothing, and even be eventually proven to be completely groundless!

...But the thing that I find interesting about this theory is the 'Crazy Frankenstein type experimentation' by Sheldrake on the poor lab animals,...and his findings that even with most of what we thought was their physical 'memory containers' removed....the animals still retained their memories!!....so,..Just Maybe??...and if it is correct...then with more research and understanding of how to utilise this newly found aspect of sentience...the whole world will exponentially change forever!! [No more secrets...amalgamations of the most intelligent minds... etc]

...what do you guys think?...are we on the brink of solving a lot of what is presently known as 'Mysterious Paranormal Questions'?...or is it just another 'false dawn' of understanding the mysteries that we all populate these forums for?

Cheers.

"The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively not by the false

appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly

by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived opinion, by

prejudice." - Schopenhauer
Edited by 1963

While I do not disagree with Sheldrake's analysis that some in the scientific establishment are, perhaps, a little too 'comfortable' with orthodoxy I do not necessarily agree with some of his other conclusions.

His experiments with animals looking for an external cause of mind and/or memory, for example. (His belief in which reminds me of the New Agey "Akashic Records" belief.)

His conclusions there appear to be somewhat biased by his predisposition to believe that mind/memory does reside outside the physical body. That he found animals retained memory after disabling the 'memory centres' of their brains, may only indicate our knowledge of the brain, and how it stores information, is somewhat less accurate/comprehensive than we believe. The 'holonomic brain hypothesis' (Pibram calls it a Theory, but I don't believe it is that well-established yet), for example, could explain his findings (at least in part) without requiring memory to be an external phenomenon.

Also, that some scientists may be intransigent regarding the consideration of new ideas that might contradict orthodoxy, does not invalidate orthodoxy.

Edited by Leonardo

Thank you 1963,

I didn't know Sheldrake, but reading the short interview you linked, I'd say that in general terms I agree with his point of view.

Unfortunately in the academic world there's a well shared "mechanistic religion", or scientism, and many scientists (and not only them) believe in it and in the mere manifested world, discarding what goes off the tracks or against common knowledge like something invented, biased, false or inexistent.

Science theories really are today dogmas. The real modern religion is scientism.

Just because we don't understand how something works, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or it's magical.

I'm not saying that "supernatural" necessarily exists, but maybe sometimes we still have a limited view of the world and its phenomena.

Another serious problem is that, if untill the first half of the XX century we knew we didn't know a lot and that everything could be questioned, now we think to know everything and thus we're more dogmatic.

Sheldrake's "morphic resonance" hypothesis is interesting, althought maybe a little too far fetched. I should read it more thoroughly, before saying more.

Anyway I agree with Leonardo, it recalls the "Akashic Records" idea, Jung's collective unconscious theory and Plato's Hyperuranion.

So, nothing new under the sun, but, if it's true, it's nothing to be surprised of, rather, it would prove him right.

I like Sheldrake. He has some interesting theories and enough education & knowledge to be somewhat credible. Some of his ideas may seem, no, do seem kooky, but there's enough scientific evidence of stuff going on that's even weirder than some of Sheldrake's claims, and backed by a preponderance of scientific evidence. Anyway, he's a good read for learning how to think outside the box. Look at where quantum physics is headed, that makes Sheldrake seem tame by comparison.

Edited by Beany

Just looked this up. So, morphic resonance is like molecules remembering everywhere they've been and thus everything being linked together by millions of years of linked memories?

And the method of this molecular memory is....???? Unknown.

Maybe every single organic molecule has a Spirit that retains this knowledge and links every other organic molecule together? Cool. So, now all we have to do is scientifically prove that Spirit exists. (Which is not going to happen)

And people wonder what Scientists don't accept this idea?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Sheldrake

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ruperts-resonance

In Sheldrake's theory of morphic resonance, similar forms (morphs, or "fields of information") reverberate and exchange information within a universal life force. "Natural systems, such as termite colonies, or pigeons, or orchid plants, or insulin molecules, inherit a collective memory from all previous things of their kind, however far away they were and however long ago they existed,"
Edited by DieChecker

Ah yes, Dr. Sheldrake of "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home".

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0307885968

I will say one thing, Dr. Sheldrake certainly does 'think outside the box'. Even if his ideas are found to be incorrect, I have to give him credit for searching beyond the norm.

Hi Lilly.

What ideas have been found to be 'incorrect'?...have you any links please.

I'm not trying to champion his ideas or anything...I don't know very much about the fellow at all..yet! and so far just find them interesting enough to contemplate the implications.

Cheers.

Hi Lilly.

I'm not trying to champion his ideas or anything...I don't know very much about the fellow at all..yet! and so far just find them interesting enough to contemplate the implications.

Cheers.

He is good guy, try his new book "science set free".

Edited by White Crane Feather

Hi Lilly.

Ah, ah...I said "Even if his ideas are found to be incorrect", I didn't say his ideas had been proven as being incorrect.

Edited by Lilly
addition

Ah, ah...I said "Even if his ideas are found to be incorrect", I didn't say his ideas had been proven as being incorrect.

Oh..ok Lilly!...it seems that we are on the same page with regards to the professor and his theories! :tu:

...it would certainly be a phenomenal finding, if his assertions were to be unequivocally proven to be correct!...but then with a little further reading on the man and his grand ideas...it would appear that confirmation of his conclusions are in all likelihood...a long way away!

...but still fascinating "food for thought, out of the box thinking" as you say. :yes:

Cheers.