Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant zeppelin could revolutionize air travel

UM-Bot

Aeroscraft's ML866 airship is set to bring zeppelins back as a viable and effective form of transport.

Having cruised through the skies for over 100 years, airships were once considered to be the ultimate way to fly. Now mostly superseded by modern airplanes these lighter-than-air behemoths have mostly disappeared, but one American company is aiming to bring them back in a big way.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/254793/giant-zeppelin-could-revolutionize-air-travel

I thought that we had proved hydrogen to be a bad idea in aircraft? Nevermind, having read the info at the Aeroscraft site I see they are using helium, not hydrogen,, to fill the envelope.

Edited by Merc14

115 mph? Pretty impressive. I wonder what it's environmental limitations will be.

Seems like a REALLY big, low-flying craft with not a whole lot of speed. Easy target for those wanting to do nefarious things from the ground.

I'll pass on boarding.

• Like 1

Thought We were totally out of Helium ?

justDONTEATUS

Just running out. Will cost much more soon. Goodbye squeaky voices :cry:

Check out the fleet comparison! They are some pretty big airships: http://aeroscraft.com/fleet/4578293048

4596115269_960x2880.jpg

Edit: I feel bad for the elephants that they are going to be cutting in half! :w00t:

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

Helium is a trace component in natural gas and a large portion has been held in only one world reserve, in the US. I believe the reserve is being decommissioned due to debt. A semi-trailer will carry over forty tons with a fuel efficiency of about five miles per gallon. And, trains are far more efficient, so this endeavor will undoubtably need to be highly specialized in its delivery venue to recognize profit.

I think this is a good idea. But, more along a cruise line than a transportation line. Of course getting supplies into a natyrail desaster area would also be good. Of course I will never fly on one. Fear of hieghts.

Go to HAV (Hybrid Air Vehicles, Bedford) and you will see just how advanced UK Engineering is in this field. They have built a 304 ft Helium Dirigible for the DoD in the USA (for On-Station surveillance), and they can build a LTA (Lighter Than Air) vehicle that can lift 1,000 tonnes.

The USA is playing "Catch - Up" on an entirely proven UK concept, from a tiny UK Company