Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BiffSplitkins

Train Slices into Double Decker Bus

14 posts in this topic

Ottawa, Ontario (CNN) -- A double-decker bus and a passenger train collided in Ottawa on Wednesday morning, killing six people and injuring at least 30 others, authorities said.

The dead included the bus driver, and all of the dead and injured had been on the bus, authorities said at a news conference.

A third of the injured were in critical condition, said Anthony Di Monte, chief of the Ottawa Paramedic Service.

First responders found "bodies and debris pretty much everywhere at the impact site," Ottawa Fire Service's Marc Messier told CTV News Channel.

"It's definitely a serious scene," Messier said. "Our top priority is getting anyone with serious injuries to the hospital and getting them into proper care."

Read More

And from another article. I'd like to know why the bus driver crossed the barrier.

OTTAWA, Ontario -- A passenger train collided with a double-decker bus in Canada's capital Wednesday, ripping off the front of the bus and killing five people, police said. Witnesses said the bus went through a closed crossing barrier, and passengers said they screamed "Stop, stop!" at the driver just before impact.

Read More

3 people like this

I've missed a stop sign or two in my life... but how the hell don't you see a damn train coming?

5 people like this

I'd like to know why the bus driver crossed the barrier.

I would like to know that as well.....

1 person likes this

Way too much tragedy lately.

1 person likes this

Way too much tragedy lately.

No kidding.

1 person likes this

He may have dozed off at the wheel, it happened early morning around 8:30 AM , but its hard to imagine him

falling asleep because of the mechanics of where the crash occurred , it was right after he'd rounded a

fairly sharp curve. My guess is that the sun was in his eyes (he was traveling South-East and the sun glare

this morning was extremely bright around 7:30 when I was out for tai chi.) So my guess is that he was

blinded by the glare of the sun as he rounded that bend, and by the time it registered what was happening

it was too late, he was moving at a good clip too, so it is a tragic set of circumstances which led to this,

sun glare, bad planning of the site lines, and horrible horrible random fluke timing. If he' been T-boned

by that train there's a good chance that fifty people or more would be dead right now.

0919via-oc-crash4_web-hr.jpg

Edited by thunkerdrone
1 person likes this

Good lord, this is an example of how terrifying reality can be.

Any thing truly can happen.

It's a sad thing to see so many lives lost..

You guys are right, way too much sadness has been going around..

Unfortunately I don't see any signs of that changing..

I live and work very close to where it happened and travel in the area frequently.

The whole city froze as the news travelled. Firefighters came to the store I work at for extra supplies. Lots of cases of bottled water were first on the list.

Speculation is wild about the cause. You can rule out blinded by the sun. That driver drove that route regularly. The crossing is well designed and very clearly marked.

Some people have suggested the driver had a heart attack, but he rounded the curve ok. You can see the warning lights before rounding the curve. Some people have suggested suicide, but that makes no sense as the driver did apply his brakes after passengers started screaming at him to stop.

Another one is texting on his phone...still doesn't add up. He would have looked up to round the last curve and in doing so would have definately seen the lights flashing.

It's a mystery and only a thorough investigation will determine the truth.

There's still lots of emergency crews and investigators at the scene. Right now Via Rail has cranes on site putting the train back on the tracks to clear the lines.

Deepest sympathies. Thoughts and prayers with all involved.

3 people like this

You can rule out blinded by the sun. That driver drove that route regularly

I wouldn't be so sure. The sun is never in the same spot twice (in a year, so to speak). It's happened to me once or twice on my way to and from work. Sun at just the right angle for a second or three and everything becomes white.

3 people like this

I wouldn't be so sure. The sun is never in the same spot twice (in a year, so to speak). It's happened to me once or twice on my way to and from work. Sun at just the right angle for a second or three and everything becomes white.

that's the reason I mentioned Tai Chi this morning. We always stand in the same spot in the morning.

Yesterday morning the sun was at a really strange angle and it was just blindingly bright. So much

that I could not follow the moves of the leader of the group. I had to move to a different spot shaded

partially by a tall tree to see anything.

Poor souls....my love and prayers to their families♥

The driver knew the route. That train comes in at the same time every morning. An automatic radio message is sent to drivers reminding them of this every day. It points to mechanical failure. Several drivers have complained recently of the lack of braking ability on these buses. Two routes have banned their use due to this. Two of them have been blown off the road due to wind.

Double deckers of this size are a stupid idea. Fine (they are much smaller) for downtown routes in Glasgow or London, but stupid choice for Ottawa.

The driver knew the route. That train comes in at the same time every morning. An automatic radio message is sent to drivers reminding them of this every day. It points to mechanical failure. Several drivers have complained recently of the lack of braking ability on these buses. Two routes have banned their use due to this. Two of them have been blown off the road due to wind.

Double deckers of this size are a stupid idea. Fine (they are much smaller) for downtown routes in Glasgow or London, but stupid choice for Ottawa.

In that case they are going to have to upgrade the brakes on all of those buses. I like the double decker buses just for the novelty factor alone, it lends some variety to the OC Transpo experience.

That's why I like the O-Train too, it adds something different to the mix. If I had my druthers I would leave the O-train route as it is with its spacious, comfortable , inter-city diesel-powered trains and make the rest of the subway electric.

That way if the grid ever went down we'd at least have the O-train route still functioning as a back-bone. Also the O-train cars are far more luxurious than the subway-style electric trolley they are planning to replace it with.

They should have done the skytrain thing instead of going underground too.

Edited by thunkerdrone

on 18 September 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I'd like to know why the bus driver crossed the barrier.

I would like to know that as well.....

Well, we all know there are such things as black boxes and computer over-rides

built into new vehicles.

If someone wanted to kill that driver and shut him up, and had access to the right

technology........

lets just say that he might have had some unexpected 'brake problems' right at the

wrong time , and that the bus may have seemed to have been speeding up instead

of slowing down, right at the wrong time....etc.

According to reports he was fairly new to the route, so he may have been transferred

there just in time to 'have his little accident' with that train.

This is Ottawa, and I have spoken to a driver who was quite aware of depopulation

and all sorts of esoteric things . I never got his name, or rememberd his face clearly, but it could easily have been

Woodard that I spoke to a couple of years ago , when I was shocked to find a bus driver

so well informed on the alternative media, truth movement, etc. Not just well informed, but quite outspoken

That could be why Woodard is dead now.