Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Halloween is it the best time to find ghosts?

crowman

It has been said that on Halloween the vial between the living and the spirit world is the thinnest. Making it the best time to find ghosts.Some say Halloween is just for Trick or Treat,

Whats your opinion ?

Edited by Still Waters
Removed Self Promotion

I'm a Pagan Witch and yes I believe that at Samhain (Halloween) the veil between this world and the next is at it's thinnest and our ancestors can be contacted. So I guess depending on a persons beliefs I would say yes it would be a good time :)

Edited by Moon Gazer

It's also said that 3am in the morning is the point at which the dead and living are at their closest. I have no idea how this could be proven. Apparently 3am is a very popular time to die.

• Like 2

I have a tendency to see "spirits" around Memorial Day, in May, or during the summer. Maybe that is because I am more able to be out and about during the warmer months, but that's when I have experienced them.

According to some lore, yes, Halloween is a time when the veil is particularly thin. There are other days too, and even some lore about moon phases. There are supposed to be things other than ghosts that move around on Halloween too.

I think it's likely that Halloween is popular as a thin veil date because of some of it's roots. A long time ago, Halloween sort of marked off the death of the year and the growing season. A time to be ready for the dark sleep of winter. Kind of makes sense that when the world is on a brink, so could the veil.

So, do I think it's the best time to find ghosts? Probably only if that ghost is particularly tied to the date or if a person really tried something for someone specific, maybe. For general run of the mill ghosts, those seem to pop up anytime and Halloween probably wouldn't make much of a difference for them to show up or not.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think Halloween is prime time to go do ghost hunting, and often lack research, respect, and legality when they do so.

• Like 1

What are Buffy's wise words, lol?

Buffy: Great. I was gonna stay in and veg. The one night a year things are supposed to be quiet for me.

Xander: Halloween quiet? Oh, I figured it'd be a big old vamp scare-apalooza.

Buffy: Not according to Giles. He swears that tomorrow night is, like, dead for the undead. They stay in.

• Like 5

It's also said that 3am in the morning is the point at which the dead and living are at their closest. I have no idea how this could be proven. Apparently 3am is a very popular time to die.

I'm pretty sure that's just one of those new urban myths about ghosts currently doing the rounds. It seems to have sprung up in popularity recently but can anyone show there's any truth to it?
  • Like 1

This may sound counter-intuitive, but as a Christian I experience Halloween as a welcome and enjoyable time. Christians of many traditions are finding fault with this ancient observance (referring to "demonology," "devil worship," "violence," "mayhem," etc.) and curtailing or even banning any child or adult celebrations among their 'flocks.' This is recent and, in my view, unnecessary.

Not so for the more ancient "mainline" (some now call us "sideline") strains of Christianity. In typical fashion, our forebears seized upon the so-called "pagan" activities of the Celts and other groups in Northern Europe and bent them to our own devices. Just as Christians pounced on December 25th as Christ's birthday celebration because the Romans were already observing the Saturnalia then, so, too, have we accepted the idea of the thinned veil between the living and the dead/new and the old to acknowledge those "dark powers" which, at least in theory, could invade our lives on this date. Hence Halloween, in English, is a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening," the night before All Saints Day. As such, it is the fulcrum between life and death, a last chance, so to speak, for the forces of darkness and disorder to invade our living realm. This is why, in the British Isles and, by extension, the Americas, dressing up in imitation of them (to fool the ghoulies and ghosties), demanding bribes (sweets, treats, money) from the living and engaging in playful mayhem (tricks; unfortunately this evolved into a yearly celebration of arson in Detroit, especially) became part of October 31st.

For me, personally, and many others I know (both Christian and otherwise), Halloween is a cultural "tweak of the nose" to the devil who resides, at least somewhat, in each of us--an opportunity to face our own interior demons and to recognize symbolically that light and life overcome the darkest, most deadly challenges, often wrought with our own hands.

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedie beasties,

and things that go 'bump' in the night--

Good Lord, deliver us!"

-attributed to Robert Burns

Yes and also the Spring equinox time is a lowering of the spirit veil. The Spring season has a similar Halloween celebration on the continent called Walpurga. This is both the equinoxes, because a point of sunlight and earth movements cause certain things to rock.

• Like 1

This idea brings to mind a few questions -

Do spirits have calendars? What about countries or individuals that don't celebrate Halloween? Or don't know the Pagan rules or the dates of the equinox?

3:00 AM? Which timezone? Do spirits have clocks?

Nibs

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure that's just one of those new urban myths about ghosts currently doing the rounds. It seems to have sprung up in popularity recently but can anyone show there's any truth to it?

This is an old saw, going back as far as the death of Jesus (he was on the cross, according to Matthew, Mark, & Luke until 3 pm, when he died). Three o'clock a.m., as an antithesis or apposite of 3 pm, became a supernatural/superstitious hour of "thinness" between life and death, when people 'would be' more liable to "give up the ghost."

My own unscientific opinion, after years of working with the dying (Hospice; hospital and nursing home chaplaincies), is that many people "give up" and let death take them in the middle of the night when they are less likely to die in front of loved ones, or perhaps anyone else.

Do spirits have calendars? What about countries or individuals that don't celebrate Halloween? Or don't know the Pagan rules or the dates of the equinox?

Nibs

What calendar are the spirits using? When Pope Gregory authroised the modern Gregorian calendar and 11 days were skipped in order to sync up the old Julian calendar which had gone out of sync with the seasons, did the spirits oblige him by rescheduling their own calendar or had anyone noticed that the spirits were coming out at the 'wrong' time because the spirits had a properly synced calendar all along? Do they obey leap years? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Like 1

Yup the little buggers run up and down the streets threatening you for candy!!!

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

Nibs

And do they observe Daylight Saving Time.

And what if said ghost does observe Daylight Saving Time, but is currently haunting a location (say Indiana) which doesn't.

It's so confusing to be a ghost.

• Like 1

Hanbook-For-The-Recently-Deceased-Beetlejuice.jpg

This must cover all of it.

Nibs

Omg I laghed my butt off when Beattie juice garbed himself and kicked over the model tree.

People want to get scary or creeped or mildy annoyed or want sugar or to show off their foxy costume.

The people who i seen "investigators" are kids out for a scare. most cases they run around screaming.

Always leads to murder... people breaking into property and some one gets out the gun and bang.... instant ghost.

• Like 2

Halloween is just the time when most people have it on their minds more. I don't know that there is a particular season for ghosts or not.

• Like 2

Halloween is just the time when most people have it on their minds more. I don't know that there is a particular season for ghosts or not.

Halloween or All Hallows Eve is not new, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Nowadays businesses just cash in on it!

Edited by Angel1510
  • Like 1

Nibs

What calendar are the spirits using? When Pope Gregory authroised the modern Gregorian calendar and 11 days were skipped in order to sync up the old Julian calendar which had gone out of sync with the seasons, did the spirits oblige him by rescheduling their own calendar or had anyone noticed that the spirits were coming out at the 'wrong' time because the spirits had a properly synced calendar all along? Do they obey leap years? Inquiring minds want to know.

Though not a believer, these questions have me guessing it is the living humans who are more susceptible, curious of the spirit world and when invoking/discussing/searching is more popular at particular times of the year and geographic locations.

Rather than the spirit world being more receptive to living humans at a particular time of year and geographic locations.

Same with 3am.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Buffy: Great. I was gonna stay in and veg. The one night a year things are supposed to be quiet for me.

Xander: Halloween quiet? Oh, I figured it'd be a big old vamp scare-apalooza.

Buffy: Not according to Giles. He swears that tomorrow night is, like, dead for the undead. They stay in.

Haha, if Buffy said it, then it must be true, lol

I know my ex used to go ghost hunting on halloween, I never saw the sense in it, because its like if you actually do see a ghost what then