Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

13 people shot in Chicago

Drayno

http://www.chicagotr...,0,352520.story

Semehca Nunn tried hard to talk about her 3-year-old grandson, one of 13 people shot as neighbors played basketball in Cornell Square Park in the Back of the Yards Thursday night.

"They need to stop, they need to stop," Nunn said, the last word coming out as almost a shriek as she closed her eyes and collapsed crying.

A pick-up game was being played on the park's basketball court in the 1800 block of West 51st Street around 10:15 p.m. when at least one gunman walked up and started firing, apparently with a high-powered gun.

Thirteen people who were on the court or were watching the game were hit, many of them in the arms or legs.

Chicago's obvious gun laws aside, let's not turn this into a political discussion.

This is horrible. :(

• Like 3

what is there to discuss, gang related shooting\drive by. in a gang infected city.

otoh, it is noting but political, gang violence is ignored by politicians, and focused on guns in hands of those that don't kill ppl in parks.

• Like 2

This is so sad.... :cry:

My little boy will be three in January. Makes me sad, and disgusted with those gang hoodlums. They have no regard for life, not even a child's.... :no: Very hard for me to understand that type of mentality.

what is there to discuss, gang related shooting\drive by. in a gang infected city.

otoh, it is noting but political, gang violence is ignored by politicians, and focused on guns in hands of those that don't kill ppl in parks.

The justice system is far too lenient on these hoodlums. And no, politicians and MSM won't discuss the problem of gang violence, only the tools they use. And if anyone tries to have a discussion about the problem of gang violence they are called "racist"..... :(

• Like 4

You guys have it all wrong, it's not Chicago's fault, they have gun restrictions.

This is clearly Indiana or Michigan's fault.... I'm not sure how, but there's a couple posters here who should be filling us in any minute :w00t:

• Like 4

The justice system is far too lenient on these hoodlums. And no, politicians and MSM won't discuss the problem of gang violence, only the tools they use. And if anyone tries to have a discussion about the problem of gang violence they are called "racist"..... :(

I agree, but when they do catch them, the justice system bangs the gavel on their heads, and off to prison they go.

EDIT: And to be even more hardened criminals when released.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Erm....I'm going to have to just put this out there.

I don't think it's a gun control, or political issue at all, what is happening in Chicago.

It's a CULTURAL one.

(don't say that too loud, for fear of being branded)

• Like 4

I don't really think it is a cultural one. Gangs aren't much different from the outlaw Cowboys in the 1800s, the gangsters of the early 20th century, and the mob. Violence like this is spread throughout all cultures.

Edited by Agent0range
  • Like 3

I don't really think it is a cultural one. Gangs aren't much different from the outlaw Cowboys in the 1800s, the gangsters of the early 20th century, and the mob. Violence like this is spread throughout all cultures.

The difference is the glorification of the gangsta lifestyle in song, music video and movies. That kind of lifestyle has become what a lot of young kids are trying to acheive. What is acceptable needs a revamp IMO. The way that woman are portrayed by these people along with their attitude towards the law and society in general needs to be nipped in the bud.

• Like 7

Erm....I'm going to have to just put this out there.

I don't think it's a gun control, or political issue at all, what is happening in Chicago.

It's a CULTURAL one.

(don't say that too loud, for fear of being branded)

Depends on how you define culture. If spaghetti westerns that somehow formed some role models (i.e. Clint Eastwood) are our "culture" then you are right. But that would be really sad.

The difference is the glorification of the gangsta lifestyle in song, music video and movies. That kind of lifestyle has become what a lot of young kids are trying to acheive. What is acceptable needs a revamp IMO. The way that woman are portrayed by these people along with their attitude towards the law and society in general needs to be nipped in the bud.

Heh, might be a bit late for that. By now it's more like cut down a bush full of blooms.

Heh, might be a bit late for that. By now it's more like cut down a bush full of blooms.

True. But, until the problem is acknowledged, it win't be dealt with.

• Like 2

they are very different, any kid knows it. initiation blod in blod out, is just tip of the iceberg. only few gangs "jump " recruts, most have to find a victim anywhere they want, and bring proof. you don't know much about gang culture do you? may be you should not talk about it before you do.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

they are very different, any kid knows it. initiation blod in blod out, is just tip of the iceberg. only few gangs "jump " recruts, most have to find a victim anywhere they want, and bring proof. you don't know much about gang culture do you? may be you should not talk about it before you do.

First of all...are you danielost? Second, the day to day activities are not very different. The common goal is to make money, and violence automatically comes with that. That has not changed with gangs for hundreds of years.

So, how is that NOT a cultural problem? The differences in your examples, are that those cultures, for the most part, outgrew the violence. The current culture we are discussing, the violence is growing exponetially.

Because these issues have happened elsewhere in no way excuses the behavior.

This is absolutely a cultural issue. Go to any major city in this country and you'll find that these are not isolated incidents. This behavoir is not only reinforced, but encouraged.

But, it is impossible to rationally discuss, because ultimately the big R word will rear it's head. Nobody wants to be branded as such, so we all remain silent, as our Urban communities descend into anarchy.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 3

So, how is that NOT a cultural problem? The differences in your examples, are that those cultures, for the most part, outgrew the violence. The current culture we are discussing, the violence is growing exponetially.

Because these issues have happened elsewhere in no way excuses the behavior.

This is absolutely a cultural issue. Go to any major city in this country and you'll find that these are not isolated incidents. This behavoir is not only reinforced, but encouraged.

But, it is impossible to rationally discuss, because ultimately the big R word will rear it's head. Nobody wants to be branded as such, so we all remain silent, as our Urban communities descend into anarchy.

It depends what you call culture, as I said before. The goal everybody has is to make a living, and everybody turns to the possibilities he/she has. Well, it is sad but the nearest possibility in some areas are to be a pimp, drug dealer or gang banger. And because they are who get the 'respect' in some hoods that is what the kids look up to.

As I said somewhere before today: Crime is a business, and the best way to kill a business is to not make it pay. And that is what we (seemingly) don't understand.

This is a human issue, it is everywhere, all over the world. Why would racism rear it's head? There are members of every single race involved in gangs.

• Like 1

First of all...are you danielost? Second, the day to day activities are not very different. The common goal is to make money, and violence automatically comes with that. That has not changed with gangs for hundreds of years.

no, im aztek, and you still don't know about gang culture.

i know enough to see that you don't. but don't take my word for it, we have former gang memeber here, hopefully he comes in and shatters your illusion. gangs commit over 80% of ALL crimes according to fbi.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

There is a gang culture in Chicago, as there is in Detroit, and Oakland.

Race doesn't have to do any thing with it.. There are gangs comprised of virtually every ethnicity.

Just look at the Aryan Brotherhood, Latin Kings, and the Bloods / Crips.

All different 'races' - all knee deep in violence, debauchery, drugs, and blood-money.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi

Depends on how you define culture. If spaghetti westerns that somehow formed some role models (i.e. Clint Eastwood) are our "culture" then you are right. But that would be really sad.

Huh? Clint Eastwood spaghetti western movies are mostly about righting wrongs. The role models that these gangs use is Scarface which is all about drugs. Why would Clint Eastwood movies be a sad choice for a society, there are no drug references in any of them unless you consider wine/whiskey a hard narcotic??

• Like 3

It depends what you call culture, as I said before. The goal everybody has is to make a living, and everybody turns to the possibilities he/she has. Well, it is sad but the nearest possibility in some areas are to be a pimp, drug dealer or gang banger. And because they are who get the 'respect' in some hoods that is what the kids look up to.

As I said somewhere before today: Crime is a business, and the best way to kill a business is to not make it pay. And that is what we (seemingly) don't understand.

Yep, that is exactly to what I am referring to as a culture. This culture is giving 'respect' to the very ones in the community that are causing the violence and the mayhem. That culture is growing and becoming more pervasive. IMHO, it has nothing to do with skin color, and everying to do with the situation. However, it's a mistake to overlook the fact that this type culture is fastest growing in urban black populations. The crime statistics alone bear that out.

I think we should strive to reach a point in our society where we can crush this culture of ignorance without mixing that into condeming of a race of people....BUT, currently (again IMHO) one cannot criticize this culture without being marginalized as a racist.

OH...and I'm talking about more than just 'gang' culture. There is a huge culture of compliance, that do or say nothing to stop the gang culture. Maybe it's fear, maybe is a disrespect of the law, but it really exists.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 4

Aryan Brotherhood is a prison gang not street gang.

That still doesn't discredit the fact that they are a gang and violent.

Violence transcends race.