Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there a third state of consciousness ?

UM-Bot

The results of a recent study have revealed that a strange new state of human consciousness may exist.

Dubbed 'dysanaesthesia', this potential third state of consciousness would lie somewhere between being awake and sleeping, an intermediary state in which the individual is able to respond to a command but is unable to feel pain.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...f-consciousness

Not going to lie, when I first read this part of me was like... so they found a scientific way to say half asleep then the second part was just reminded of Unwind (For those that have read the book I am speaking of the process of how unwinding occurs)

I believe this is a new phenomena and a side effect of reality TV...

• Like 1

The findings stem from the results of a recent study involving 34 patients who were anesthetized with their entire body paralyzed except for one arm. Remarkably, it was found that up a third of patients were observed moving their finger when commanded to do so despite being seemingly unconscious.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...f-consciousness

The arm being connected to the brain for "instructions" has not been anesthetized and unless the whole brain was anesthetized too, then there is still some form of communication there.

I do not see how a "third state" can be said to occur during awake and sleeping when the patient was anesthetized, you might as well give them LSD or other drugs and do some more tests.....anything can happen.

This seems to be a "drug induced" text opposed to the patient being hypnotized.

• Like 2

There are many 'states' of consciousness, its more of a continuum.

• Like 4

In a few cases, the first two states of consciousness are in doubt so a third is highly unlikely. Politicians are a good example of this.

• Like 1

Isn't this exactly the same state that occurs during Sleep Paralysis? During Sleep Paralysis we are awake and yet still asleep, which causes dreams to mentally manifest in reality.

• Like 1

Almost reads like the APA definition of hypnosis - a procedure during which a health professional or researcher suggests while treating someone that he or she experience changes in sensations, perceptions, thoughts, or behavior.

Isn't this exactly the same state that occurs during Sleep Paralysis? During Sleep Paralysis we are awake and yet still asleep, which causes dreams to mentally manifest in reality.

I agree with you. I've been calling this state the Twilight Zone of Sleep. It's easy to access the Vibration Stage of Astral Projection from this stage of sleep if you know how to. And even if you don't know how to it still comes to you without you doing anything at all sometimes. But it's pretty hard to access this level of consciousness to begin with if you're not on drugs.

Edited by stevemagegod

Well after my experiences with various intoxicants in my youth I'd have to say there are far more than three states of consciousness but I never thought to count them.

By the way,loved all of them.

• Like 1

Yes. I believe it's called Inebriation. And it's my favorite state.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 2

Is this really a "new" state? I believe people have experienced states like this throughout history. It hardly seems like a new state was discovered. Especially if drug induced.

• Like 4

First of all, I cannot believe they are just now acknowledging it's existence!! What's up guys, really??? I will agree that there are many states of consciousness, and yes, some are more easily accessed when drug induced, but this particular "state of consciousness" has been around since mankind first went to sleep. We do this every night. However most of us slip through it so fast that we never notice it.

It is also the "state of consciousness" where we may (if you believe it), contact/connect with other beings and still be aware, we may Astral Travel, accidently or on purpose.

I have had trouble falling "completely" asleep for over 40 yrs., so this, so called, "new third state of consciousness" is a "state of consciousness" I am very familiar with. Especially during the daytime, when your so tired and you just want/need a small nap, but you just start to fall asleep and DAMN IT! your wide awake, again. My kids used to think I either had some special power or cameras hidden around the house, cause while I was "sleeping" I would tell them to get out of or get off of something or other. The part that freaked them out was that I was so exact as to what they were getting into, or saying (course you only need ears for this one, lol), or whatever it was they were doing at the time. Sometimes I wouldn't say anything till I got up. Over time I have learned to use this "state of consciousness" to my advantage, for spiritual growth and/or exercises, astral travel, ect, ect....... It's actually "almost" limitless. Now to be completely honest, it is easier and faster to access (if your not familiar with doing it) if your on drugs, particularly if it's pain med or something in arena and your not used to taking it, basically "your high." However not near as reliable, as far as information, or who's really doing the talking, and just what you really saw. Since I'm being honest I will have to say that it is "funnier" when your mind is altered. I am speaking from my own experience only. In my early 20's I had to take Mempergran (sp?), it's Demerol with Phenergan in it. OMG!!! I had 3 weeks of very funny excursions, that I don't know if I really took or not. Absolutely brilliant conversations with many people/beings (?) I had never met before. My husband actually taped me for a week. I destroyed it a few years later, by then I had heard it at a get together one time too many! Oops! What can I say? I really didn't mean to snap it in half!

But I have strayed a bit too far. While it was fun to reminisce, for a moment, I have gotten off point.

Point being, THEY HAVEN'T DISCOVERED A DAMN THING!!!!! AND, if they really do believe they did, then what the hell have been doing all these years? I mean seriously, I hope this wasn't a government study, that "we" the bloody damn "taxpayer" have, yet again, paid for. Bloody hell I could have saved them millions. If they're still studying it, damn give me 1/4 of what you plan on spending and I'll give you all the answers and proof you'll need to prove there really is a "third state of consciousness", plus I'll let you in on something you obviously haven't discovered yet. There are more than just three!!! [Good Grief, Charlie Brown]

• Like 1

The state between wakefulness and sleep called hypnagogia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia It's really cool to experiment with. Sleep paralyses is a little different, you're body is physically asleep while you mind is awake and conscious of your surroundings.

Dubbed 'dysanaesthesia', this potential third state of consciousness would lie somewhere between being awake and sleeping, an intermediary state in which the individual is able to respond to a command but is unable to feel pain.

So they discovered being drunk? I could have told them all about that....

Not quite, this one is drug induced, they could have found similar results by a bit research into the flower power years, Voodoo in Haiti, and many other drug induced pastimes "experimented" by man.

This is not rocket science, its not even science!

• Like 2

Not quite, this one is drug induced, they could have found similar results by a bit research into the flower power years, Voodoo in Haiti, and many other drug induced pastimes "experimented" by man.

This is not rocket science, its not even science!

Agreed. I think what this study did is basically give the stage a new name and claimed it's a new discovery.

• Like 2

lol this thread is funny for no other reason than it exists.

There is no such thing as pain neurologically taking pain as we talk about it is no more than the effects of nerves or the brain......depending on where the response is initiated from this only occurs when we visually see hear or believe something has happened to the body where a strong correspondent reaction is required.

Did the need hurt.......yes i felt it.....no you expected to feel it and in response your mind has been channeled in to an educated state or concern....the bigger the needle the more reaction etc....

This is why hypnosis works on some people in major surgery, they can be persuaded that just because the body may feel the pressure of a needle or incision they can ealay the response from the nerves or the brain that the fight or flight response is not required.

In neurology it is not a prerequisite that when targeting and area or system of nerves to have to effect other system e.g. your motor and visual systems may well be targeted when under anesthetic bot not hearing systems or breath etc... and in a lot of cases this means the body can still respond to instruction etc...

• 1 month later...

It's nothing new. This knowledge has been around for years. Through hypnosis you can take a person through many different stages of consciousness. Drugs also produce a separate consciousness. We definetly have more than just Awake and Asleep. Drugs can be proven to induce a separate state of consciousness because the only reasons you dream is because your brain produces DMT while you sleep, therefore any type of drug use is a separate state of consciousness. So really we didn't discover a "third" state of consciousness. It's hard to determine what being conscious is in the first place.