Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hackers Crack Apple's Fingerprint Scanner

questionmark

Apple recently launched the latest top-end model of its wildly successful iPhone, the 5S, to much fanfare. But a German hacker organization has thrown a wrench in the works by bypassing the smartphone's much-heralded fingerprint scanner just two days after launch.

It is supposed to represent a major step forward in mobile phone security by replacing the password. But the fingerprint sensor on Apple's new iPhone 5S has already been compromised just two days after it went on sale. The German hacker organization Chaos Computer Club (CCC) says it has successfully bypassed the biometric security system, called TouchID, using "easy everyday means."

TouchID works by allowing you to unlock your phone by scanning your fingerprint rather than inputting a password or code. To bypass it, the hackers used an iPhone 5S programmed with a fingerprint, and then took a high-resolution picture of the print from a separate glass surface before transferring it onto a transparent film which, after being breathed on to make it slightly moist, could be used to gain access to the device.

Read more

And triple C does it again!

• Like 2

My HP has a fingerprint scanner. I used it for about 6 mths, then for some reason it stopped working - so I reverted to my password. Didn't recognise that either. After much angst and agro I had to reset the whole thing to manufacturers setting to get back on - never touched the scanner since, grrrrr.

My HP has a fingerprint scanner. I used it for about 6 mths, then for some reason it stopped working - so I reverted to my password. Didn't recognise that either. After much angst and agro I had to reset the whole thing to manufacturers setting to get back on - never touched the scanner since, grrrrr.

You should have asked triple C to get it working again :innocent:

• Like 1

When I was reading an article another site about the security of the new iphone, I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone figured it out. Also I saw a tv show ( forgot what it was called), a long time ago that showed someone collecting someone's finger print almost the same way as the CCC did.

That seems like a lot of effort just to break into someone else's phone.

• Like 1

I think i have solved the problem, why not just change your print each time you think you have been hacked, you got ten goes, surely the hackers would have moved onto someone else by then.

Personally I would never get one of these over priced pieces of plastic to store all my details on and go into an absolute panic when the batteries run out!

bth_panic.gif

• Like 3

I think i have solved the problem, why not just change your print each time you think you have been hacked, you got ten goes, surely the hackers would have moved onto someone else by then.

Personally I would never get one of these over priced pieces of plastic to store all my details on and go into an absolute panic when the batteries run out!

bth_panic.gif

No matter how much Mrs. Questionmark insists, I will keep my dumbphone.

• Like 2

Me too! I've had my flip phone since 2007 and I still actually punch in people's phone numbers. There are maybe 20 phone numbers stored in it in case something happens and I'm basically incapacitated or rattled to the point I draw a blank.

• Like 2

Me too! I've had my flip phone since 2007 and I still actually punch in people's phone numbers. There are maybe 20 phone numbers stored in it in case something happens and I'm basically incapacitated or rattled to the point I draw a blank.

Tut tut, thats not how its supposed to work. You are to throw away your old phone and buy an new one, thats how the mobile phone companies make all those billions.

So please join in with the others and place your old (but perfectly ok) phone here:

eyesorephone.jpg?1241332115

ps: I have had my basic phone for 6 years now, and it does me just fine. :tu:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

When they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. :lol:

• Like 2

my ex always called them smartass phones lol

• 5 weeks later...

This is funny apple dumps millions dollars in this scanner and it gets cracked all ready.

Iam on my ipad4 I will never get ios7

The newest in cool gimmicks generally don't work very well and cost a lot. There is a reason being on the "bleeding edge" of technology is referred to as bleeding.