Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richard III Leicester tomb row

Waspie_Dwarf

Funds withdrawn in Richard III Leicester tomb row

Members of the Richard III Society have withdrawn funding meant for the king's tomb at Leicester Cathedral because they are unhappy with the design.

The cathedral's plans were unveiled last week with the chairman of the society describing them as "inspired".

However, Philippa Langley, who sparked the search for the remains, said it was unfit for a "medieval warrior king"

arrow3.gifRead more...

Funds withdrawn in Richard III Leicester tomb row

I think the Richard III society needs to get over itself.

I must admit, I'm not particularly impressed with it myself, especially when sums of money like £40,000 are being bandied about!. It looks like it was designed by the same conman who gave us the Princess Diana Memorial Drainage System!

• Like 2

I think either a flat slab type, or one with a traditional effigy ontop similar to this one...

thCAFTEI3F_zpsc625363a.jpg

I don't think Richard (Or very many others from his day) would be impressed with the design as is...

• Like 1

Leave him where he died, disrespectful.

That is not an option, since he was not buried where he died to begin with. He was buried in, what at the time were, consecrated grounds. However that church has long since disappeared.

To leave a King of England buried beneath a council car park, that WOULD be disrespectful.

I think the Richard III society needs to get over itself.

To be fair, if you are going to give £40,000 to a project you should at least approve of it. It is, after all, their money to do with as they see best.

If (as is the case here) the members, who contributed the funds in the first place, disapprove of the tomb then do you not think it would be undemocratic for the Richard III Society to ignore those members and contribute the funds in defiance of those wishes?

Furthermore the Richard III Society has it's own future to think of. If it's own membership disapprove of the way the funds are spent then there is always the possibility that some/many will leave.

It might have been nice if they had advertised for designs, let the society select the three best and then let the British people vote on the best design... After all he was the King of England...

Not the king of the Richard III Society