Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jack the Ripper never existed

Still Waters

The relatedness, and ongoing escalation of the crimes just seems to coincidental to have been done by several people (unless they worked together). However, 125 years later, it is very hard to draw any reasonable conclusion as to what occured

The relatedness, and ongoing escalation of the crimes just seems to coincidental to have been done by several people (unless they worked together). However, 125 years later, it is very hard to draw any reasonable conclusion as to what occured

What? Several people working together? Who are you thinking of? Queen Victoria, Sir Charles Warren, Prince Albert Victor, Mr Gladstone, Prince Albert's ghost, Vincent Van Gogh......name your perp. Or perps.

Edited by Antilles

I never read much about the ripper story but Patricia Cornwall's ripper book was very interesting, where British master painter William Sickert being her number one suspect - there is even DNA evidence to support her claim, very provocative, but this story is certainly credible

No, there is not credible evidence to support her claim. A fictional author has a go at writing a factual story. To make money. You have any other credible sources to back up her story?

You'll be looking for a long time.

For the 5 murders attributed to JTR, there were 3 different MO's: 3 were throttled before having their throat slashed; Cat Eddowes had her throat cut from behind (possibly with her own knife) without being throttled; Mary Kelly had her throat slashed in her own room without being throttled whilst facing her attacker (note the defence wounds on her arms in the photographs).

There was no medical skill involved in any of the disembowelling (only 1 doctor out of the 5 who examined the victims disagreed with this, but retracted this later).

In Whitechapel there were no murders in the preceding year, 1887 (of the 80 recorded homicides in London, not a single one was recorded in Whitechapel) nor in 1886. In 1889 there was only 1 murder (compared to 79 in London) and in 1890 there was 1 recorded murder (whilst 74 were recorded in London). How can anbody suggest these murders were common in Whitechapel (nobody killed in the preceding 2 years, then 5 women killed in the space of 6 weeks)?

I am also not convinced that the 'Dear Jack' letter is a forgery.

Out of all of your ' knowledge' I will ask only this question. There is a Dear Jack letter? Really? Jack was writing to himself?

Amazing.

Ahh yes the Mr. Ripper case. When I was a senior in high school, my AP English teacher was absolutely engrossed with anything involving Jack the Ripper. She explained to us one day, after being asked who she thought it could be and it's an explanation that I'll never forget. She -believed- that it was someone who worked closely with the Royal family at the time. She was very animated when she explained further, but when she was asked what proof did she have, my teacher just changed the subject to Beowulf. I'm not really sure why that episode has stuck with me for all these years, but it's just one of them things that may never be fully proven to be real or not.

Anyway, I googled a bit after reading this thread and found a link that some may find interesting if they want to take another gander at the letters that were written... by someone.

http://whitechapeljack.com/the-ripper-letters/

Ever since I've became a Sanctuary fan, for me, when I now think of Jack the Ripper, I have images of John Druitt in my head. Mmmmmhmmmm. :clap:

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

asadora, MJ Druitt is more along the lines of who the Ripper really was.

No, he was not a cricket playing barrister but he was, IMO, a mentally disturbed individual who took his own life or who was

incarcerated after he killed Mary Kelly.

I'll add this for anyone who's interested.

The Ripper sites then and now.

http://youtu.be/sh02pH_HOsw

I was in whitechapel a couple of days ago for a medical examination. Didn't see anyone with a cape, but there were certainly some fashion choices ripe for scrutiny, what with the slight hipster overspill from Shoreditch.

I did however see a young guy giving a JTR tour a few weeks ago, which I hadn't seen before. Bet some of them left feeling super convinced by the mix of fact and hokum he probably sent their way :P

• 2 weeks later...

I was always in the belief that it was a surgeon, but after watching the Ripper episode of 'Is it Real?' I thought Sickert could certainly be credible.

• 9 years later...

To claim that 'the killer never existed, but the  rimes still happened" is ridiculous.  There may be some debate about how many he killed, but no one reasonable would assume there was no killer. 

This is clearly a case for UCOS. They'll have it sorted within the hour.