Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain's oldest pavement unearthed

Still Waters

A team of archaeologists have walked into the history books - after discovering Britain's oldest pavement.

The unique Bronze Age stone pathway was built more than 4,000 years ago and is the only one of its kind in the UK.

Experts at the site say the 4ft wide stone walkway - known as a 'crystal causeway' or 'processional pathway' - originally linked two ceremonial circles.

http://uk.news.yahoo...12.html#d8Lbgmt

• Like 1

They should hurry up and publish the ancients' secret to road building. Ours only last a couple of years before those psychos with pneumatic drills are out 'repairing' them.

Here in Oklahoma when they build a road they do a fair job, but eventually - due to high/heavy traffic and extreme temperature changes - they need to patch it... When they do they use the lowest

bidding contractor and they usually just lay down a simple coating of asphalt... They don't dig down and prepare/repair the sub-surface, and so after just a short while the road needs patching again...

I wish we did it more like the Roman's did (though out of modern materials)... Their roads lasted for centuries - not months...

"When I am elected Emperor, I will mandate that roads be repaired properly" (excerpt from my latest campaign speech)