Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawkesbury River Monster

UM-Bot

According to Australian naturalist Rex Gilroy, a Katoomba-based author and head of the Australian Unknown Animals Investigation Centre, there is a monster that lives in the murky depths of Hawkesbury River in New South Wales. A monster that seems to rival the Loch Ness Monster and Ogopogo the Canadian Lake Monster.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 2

Maybe Nessie swims south for the Winter. :w00t:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been fishing the Hawkesbury for 25 years, ive got relatives whos back yard is the Hawkesbury river and neither myself, relatives or friends have ever heard this story before or seen anything strange on the river :(

In some parts it is does get deep but its got a allot of commercial fishing going on and if there were something in the water it would off got caught up in one of the trailer nets by now you would think.

Edited by GoldenRabbit

• 3 weeks later...

Driven by Lake Okanogan since the early 1970s, enroute to my cabin in central British Columbia.

The locals cherish Ogopogo because it brings a lot of money to the area, brought by tourists. Okanogan is also a good fishing, skiing and boating lake. A fine, sandy public beach on its north end.

I've seen strange lines on the lake, and pulled off to examine them with binoculars. Merely waves, and nothing more.

Lake Okanogan is long and narrow, with steep, arid hills around it. That's right, arid. South central British Columbia is desert-like, with sagebrush, few or no trees, and much less precipitation than the coast.

Yet, I've read and seen self-proclaimed experts propose that perhaps Ogopogo emerges at night and slithers onto the shoreline, to feed on ferns and such. Amazing stupidity. The only ferns around that area are in doctors' and dentists' offices.

I just don't see how Ogopogo can exist. Lake Ogopogo has been very popular with tourists for well over 100 years. Even long ago, tourists brought cameras on their vacation. Yet, few "mebbe" photos of Ogopogo exist.

Such a creature would be landlocked, about 250 miles from the nearest seawater, and have to cross steep hills and mountains to reach the coast (as some claim).

The narrowness of the lake is likely responsible for currents that create long, single waves. Seen from a distance, these waves can look like a long object floating on the surface.

Considering all the boaters, skiers, swimmers, seaplanes, highway traffic along its shores and anglers on the lake, it seems nearly impossible that decent photos of a "monster" haven't been taken.

But hey, it keeps the economy going and no tourists leave without an Ogopogo T-shirt or coffee mug. Except me. Doubters aren't spenders.