Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1958 movie "the blob" - based on a true story

Jacques Terreur

this is rather for the amusement of b-movie addicts like myself than for actual discussion, and i wasn't really sure in which section to put it.

A lot of movies claim to be "based on true events", but who'd have guessed that the 1958 sci-fi flick "the Blob" actually IS!

According to a book called "Forgotten tales of Philadelphia" (Edward & Thomas White, 2011), two policemen reported a strange occurance

on September 26, 1950, which 8 years later inspired screen writer Kay Linaker to write the story to the movie.

What happened that night, you can read here (you find more details, including newspaper cuts, police reports and a (possible) solution of WTF happened....) :

http://miskatonicbooks.wordpress.com/tag/the-blob/

blob-mcqueen.jpg

• Like 2

I don't want to be rude but I won't be surprised anymore if someone claims that Ultraman is a documentary.

Of course, if it's true then it would be kick-butt awesome.

• Like 2

it's a shlocky movie - and the "true story" has most likely a natural explanation. I'm not crazy, man.... ;) but for me, it was a fun read

• Like 1

this is rather for the amusement of b-movie addicts like myself than for actual discussion, and i wasn't really sure in which section to put it.

A lot of movies claim to be "based on true events", but who'd have guessed that the 1958 sci-fi flick "the Blob" actually IS!

According to a book called "Forgotten tales of Philadelphia" (Edward & Thomas White, 2011), two policemen reported a strange occurance

on September 26, 1950, which 8 years later inspired screen writer Kay Linaker to write the story to the movie.

What happened that night, you can read here (you find more details, including newspaper cuts, police reports and a (possible) solution of WTF happened....) :

http://miskatonicboo...m/tag/the-blob/

I would be inclined to take that with a little pinch of salt.

since when?

• Like 4

Heh, interesting read. I've always been rather fond of the movie, both the original and the remake. It's entertaining to think it could be based on, erm, previously reported event regardless on how factual or not that event was.

• Like 1

WHAT? You posted many pages and even did 'photo analysis' (ahem) of your BLOB, in that old film you got so excited about. So why cant someone elses blob be taken seriously? :w00t:

• Like 5

since when?

made me laugh mate :tu::w00t:

• Like 1

made me laugh mate :tu::w00t:

i was just briefly mad at him because we had a misunderstanding in another thread....solved now, But laughing's always good! :D

• Like 1

It was almost certainly "Star Jelly" Zoser!... :tu:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Star_jelly

Cheers buddy.

the good ol' fortean phenomena are the best! :tu: but i thought the "star snot" thingy was explained in several ways...well, maybe not in the 50's.

i was just briefly mad at him because we had a misunderstanding in another thread....solved now, But laughing's always good! :D

Only briefly? Damn I failed again.

:tsu:

• Like 1

A really fun read, and most interesting, thanks mate! Inspirations comes from all over doesn't it!

• Like 1

Only briefly? Damn I failed again.

:tsu:

goddammit, Zoser, admit it already: you ARE an alien, sent here to mess with the UM crowd ;)

I remember seeing the movie when it was new, and thinking "Two thousand pounds of raging raw liver...."

• Like 1