Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fear memories can be overcome during sleep

Still Waters

It can take only an instant for fear to take hold in the brain: a fear of snakes after being bitten by one, or anxiety around bodies of water after witnessing a drowning.

Overcoming that fear can take a long time, but now researchers are saying it can be done in your sleep. Scientists at Northwestern University say they have lowered levels of fear in people by using certain odors to trigger and rechannel frightening memories into harmless ones during a deep slumber.

http://www.washingto...35d0_story.html

You may think you're doing nothing at night, but to your brain, sleep means finally having some spare time to take stock of the day's events. Freed from the distractions of recording new experiences, a deeply sleeping brain can organize and strengthen memories, especially emotional ones.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/130926-sleep-fear-memory-brain-science/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20130927news-brainsleep&utm_campaign=Content

I would say yes, with the right guidance and training. If someone strengthens their mind to that extent or has someone to teach then yes.

• Like 1

I would say yes, with the right guidance and training. If someone strengthens their mind to that extent or has someone to teach then yes.

I always said that Lucid dreaming should be therapy.

I agree, but then that opens the door to everyone shooting it down or worse pretending that they can do it just to make a quick buck.