Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
seeder

Egyptian mummy is dug up, in Barnsley, UK

9 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Barnsley... Valley of T'ut Kings as Egyptian mummy is dug up

The South Yorkshire town famously gave the nation union firebrand Arthur Scargill, cricket umpire Dickie Bird and chat show host Michael Parkinson of course, not to mention comedian Harry Worth.

And back in 1977 it was the first place in the UK to get a bottle bank to recycle glass. But now it turns out Barnsley has enjoyed a secret and barely believable past.

It has just been revealed that around 2,000 years ago it was home to ancient Egyptians and there may even be mummies buried beneath the streets. They have also uncovered bronze statues of Egyptian gods.

Forensic tests on ancient human bones found in the area have proved that some of those buried around Barnsley in ancient times had been born and raised in North Africa.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/431168/EXCLUSIVE-Barnsley-Valley-of-T-ut-Kings-as-Egyptian-mummy-is-dug-up

Well this is interesting, though not surprising. I would think, without specific evidence, that these were Alexandrian traders, as they are certainly not pharaonic Egyptians. They spread around the empire, Rome of course, and some of their high status tombs can be seen in the necropolis underneath St Peter's in Rome. I guess this news will be greeted with delight by some in another ongoing thread about "Egyptian" boats being found in England and some nonsense about Tutankhamun's sister, Meketaten, having escaped Egypt to Britain and Tutankhamun being a Celt. Well, ancient Egyptians did wear kilts, so I guess it must be true :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

I just love the smell of tabloid stories in the morning.

Not.

Well this is interesting, though not surprising. I would think, without specific evidence, that these were Alexandrian traders, as they are certainly not pharaonic Egyptians. They spread around the empire, Rome of course, and some of their high status tombs can be seen in the necropolis underneath St Peter's in Rome. I guess this news will be greeted with delight by some in another ongoing thread about "Egyptian" boats being found in England and some nonsense about Tutankhamun's sister, Meketaten, having escaped Egypt to Britain and Tutankhamun being a Celt. Well, ancient Egyptians did wear kilts, so I guess it must be true :rolleyes:

More likely, it's the remains of some Barnsley FC supporters still waiting for a home win!

2 people like this

Only 2000 years old?... Were the Egyptians still mummifying in the 1st century AD?...

Only 2000 years old?... Were the Egyptians still mummifying in the 1st century AD?...

Yes, right up unto when Christianity took over, and I think, without the pagan symbols, beyond that, maybe until Islam took over, but I'm not 100% on that. Very bad techniques in later periods though as they paid more attention to external appearance than preserving the body. I you ever saw Hawass introducing the "Valley of the Golden Mummies" you would have seen great looking coffins, but the remains were often not much more than skeletons.

Thanks Kaa... I read up a bit on it on wiki since I posted - wiki is subject to inaccuracies of course - but interesting non-the less... it's fascinating to follow the change of one culture (and religion) to another, from the safety of millenia in the future...

1 person likes this

But as far as there being Egyptian-roman mummies goes, let me introduce, to those of you who haven't run across them before, the portraits placed over the faces of the mummies of Romans who died in Egypt:

https://www.google.c...574.ZWbmMqVr6W8

Be warned, some of the portraits on the page are modern, 'done in the style of'. Most aren't.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
2 people like this

But as far as there being Egyptian-roman mummies goes, let me introduce, to those of you who haven't run across them before, the portraits placed over the faces of the mummies of Romans who died in Egypt:

https://www.google.c...574.ZWbmMqVr6W8

Be warned, some of the portraits on the page are modern, 'done in the style of'. Most aren't.

So many fakes that it makes the real ones stand out, imo. The Mona Lisa and similar art leaves me cold, I think some of these mummy portraits are much better, haunting.