Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pregnant woman 'humiliated' by barman

Still Waters

Jane Hampson, 37, who is expecting her first child and currently past her due date, had been out for a walk with her partner before stopping at a bar for a drink.

However, to her astonishment and embarrassment the bartender said he would not sell her a small glass of red wine because of her condition.

http://www.telegraph...ss-of-wine.html

Good on him. She looks as if she is about to drop any minute.

MISS should be concentrating on getting her hospital bag ready and maybe marrying the father of her child before she even thinks about alcohol.

• Like 1

"...all the customers were looking over at us to see what all the commotion was about."

In other words, she made a fuss in the pub and that is what embarrassed her. The barman was within his rights to refuse service. She should have accepted that and not made a fuss about it.

"...so he had no reason not to serve me."

He obviously did have a reason, but that's beside the point. In a privately run establishment the barman (or management) don't need a reason to not serve you. They can simply decide to not do so.

• Like 1

-.- Seriously woman. Don't you know the do's and don'ts of being pregnant? If I lived in the area, I would high five the bartender.

allegedly, you're allowed alcohol late in your third trimester.

There's still a debate about it.

Most women don't want to compromise the baby at all, so they abstain.

Given it was a small glass of wine, and she's now overdue, I can understand why she wanted it.

I don't think one small glass of wine would hurt. It's the abuse of alcohol that causes the problems.

I think he was cool to do that though.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

I can see both sides to this. The pregnant woman wanted a glass of wine, if she wants to drink in her condition then that's her business. The bartender was concerned about serving her because he feared it might harm her unborn baby. While that might be an unusual thing for him to do, I can't judge him for doing that because he did what he thought was right. In fact he was more concerned about the baby's health than the mother was.

Edited by Still Waters
  • Like 1

allegedly, you're allowed alcohol late in your third trimester.

There's still a debate about it.

Most women don't want to compromise the baby at all, so they abstain.

Given it was a small glass of wine, and she's now overdue, I can understand why she wanted it.

I don't think one small glass of wine would hurt. It's the abuse of alcohol that causes the problems.

I think he was cool to do that though.

That's kind of where I am. If a woman is that late into her pregnancy, the risk is almost non-existant if she limited it to one small glass on that one occasion. And, if she has been drinking all through her pregnancy, the damage is already done. I'm also on the side of the bartender... he doesn't have to serve anyone he doesn't feel like serving for any reason. If she wanted a glass of wine that bad, she could have bought one at the store and taken it home, entire problem of being embarassed solved right there.

• Like 1

Hah... Some big bank executive making all this fuss and commotion. Good on the bar tender. At my work one customer who frequents the place firstly came up to the counter and put her baby down on it (it was born a few days ago). She then forgot something. Took her baby. Came back in the store without it. Went looking around the store for a bit and then came back to the counter. My fellow work mate served her and asked her where her baby was. She responded with, I left him in the car.

Sometimes, regardless whether you're working in a job where you could even be fired for speaking out. It's the right thing to do. Leaving a baby unattended in the car is illegal here.

What annoys me is this self entitled bank exec want to put this barmans job and business in jeopardy because she wants to drink alcohol. At least the guy showed some concern and probably wasn't aware at what stage her pregnancy was at. But then again this self absorbed woman probably expects everyone to know it.

• Like 1