Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Venting your anger makes it worse

9 posts in this topic

Many of us have seen others, or ourselves, get worked up over some past injustice. It feels good to punch a wall or scream and yell. And we rationalize it as “getting it out of our system.” But of course we’re not getting anything out of our system; we’re just doing something that feels good every time we feel a bad emotion.

http://io9.com/these...^editors_choice

3 people like this

Sometimes I think that's true, it seems like sometimes when I have tried to "vent" in the past, I just get more worked up as it were. But then this begs the question: How DO you get it out of your system then? Because it really should come out, you know.

Those experiments, I wouldn't draw too much generalizations from them. Using violence or hurting others... it can only alleviate the pain and pressure, temporarily. The problem still exists. Physical exercise or physical violence can be a good channel to get you back on the grid, I dont approve hurting the unwilling & uninvolved though... but you need to handle the problem if you want it to go away, if you want to move on. The frustration can still be there even if you handle the problem but dont vent out, but talking to someone who listens or just saying/thinking to yourself "yeah it was me, I was pretty offensive back there, they probably feel bad now". Letting those things sink in is part of the process.

Gosh, I do usually feel better after venting my anger- briefly. Then I take a deep breath and get a handle on myself because the anger will not solve anything. Often enough it makes things worse. And it wastes energy that could be used more constructively.

I would point out that holding stress in is definitely not good for you. I tend to do just that and now have a range of digestive track problems.

I would also point out that you have a viable answer to the opposite in your presentation.

Many of us have seen others, or ourselves, get worked up over some past injustice. It feels good to punch a wall or scream and yell. And we rationalize it as “getting it out of our system.” But of course we’re not getting anything out of our system; we’re just doing something that feels good every time we feel a bad emotion.

http://io9.com/these...^editors_choice

If the act of "punching a wall" hurts, then you are using negative reinforcement to condition yourself against more aggressive and possibly self-destructive behavior. :tu:

I like to use anger a fuel for motivation....

to create art and accomplish goals...

1 person likes this

I like to use anger a fuel for motivation....

to create art and accomplish goals...

Interesting. I never thought of using anger in that way before. I suppose that there can be a constructive side to it though.

I check my anger at the door and try to never let it out. I'm a fairly mellow person though. It usually quickly ebbs from 'anger', to 'mild resentment', to 'being perturbed', to 'slightly annoyed' in a few moments. In a little while I'm indifferent to the altercation and the supposed wrongs I've suffered. I'm not a push-over however, I just try to find the best way out for both parties.

Forums like this have taught me a lot. :)

1 person likes this

Interesting. I never thought of using anger in that way before. I suppose that there can be a constructive side to it though.

I check my anger at the door and try to never let it out. I'm a fairly mellow person though. It usually quickly ebbs from 'anger', to 'mild resentment', to 'being perturbed', to 'slightly annoyed' in a few moments. In a little while I'm indifferent to the altercation and the supposed wrongs I've suffered. I'm not a push-over however, I just try to find the best way out for both parties.

Forums like this have taught me a lot. :)

Yes well instead of punching someone in the face...

or yelling at someone. I hold it in...

then record a song or poem...

and write the words out.

At the end of the song and poem I feel a lot better

and have a nice piece of art left over.

It's pretty much the same with sadness and sorrow..

I've written some of my best poetry from sad emotion.

I rarely get angry... but when I do I use it to either get stuff done

or write something good.

It's all in how you harness the emotion and energies in life...

i used to want to fight people cuss them out.

But now that I am older I see it is more wise to use sadness

or anger for art and do some creative instead of destructive with it.

I don't know about anger but it seems like a lot of emotions do feel worse the more you stew on them...