Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nazi giant rabbit breeding program revealed

UM-Bot

New details have emerged of a bizarre World War II program designed to provide fur for soldiers.

Information has emerged about the project thanks to a volume originally recovered from the home of SS chief Heinrich Himmler. The secret \"Angora book\" contained details pertaining to \"Operation Munchkin\", a bizarre initiative aimed at finding a new way to provide an efficient source of materials for warm military clothing.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/255398/nazi-giant-rabbit-breeding-program-revealed

• Like 1

One the Simon Wiesenthal Centre missed.

Nazi Giant Rabbit Breeder Still At Large!

giant-rabbit3_zps0f497a0b.jpg

Rabbit breeder Adolf Gruntfuttoch of Eberswalde, Germany, is believed to be the last remaining member of SS Sonderkommando 27 (Bunny-Häschen), formed in 1943 to supply the Wehrmacht with lucky rabbits' foot talismans for their key-rings. When challenged, Herr Gruntfuttoch muttered "Ach, mein ears und viskers", pulled a large pocket watch from his waistcoat and vanished down a hole in search of Alice!

• Like 7

Must have been a pretty surreal experience moving from the horrifying death camps to the sweet bunny shift.

What??? What???

I actually have some experience in these animals believe it or not. First of all the photo here is an English angora, not a German giant.

The bloodlines from Germany are still bred today and yes they were farmed during the war, I even remember seeing pictures in a book that depicted a Jewish prisoner working with an angora rabbit,(I remember thinking that this was a pretty tame picture compared to the rest of the Holocaust pictures you see) when I was trying to develop my own bloodlines but I don't remember what book that was. Our club name nowadays is IAGARB, the international association for German angora rabbit breeders. I haven't been a member for some time because we moved to Florida. This animal is a really great producer of wool but that doesn't make them Nazis.

• Like 3

The program was never a secret. Who wrote this? I really don't understand the article because the facts are not linked here..Im going to go dig through my books and find that picture...

Interesting. I see both the utility of doing this(the increased fur production) and yet also the "insensitivity" of doing this on the compounds of Nazi concentration camps.

To be sure, I hate practically everything the Nazi party did.

• Like 2

There is a breed of giant rabbit from Germany, that I've seen.. I thought it was fantastic and wanted one {imagine the cuddles}. But upon reading this, I think this is a bit sick, I mean warm clothing for soldiers is not a bad thing, but to have the breeding camps is quite unsavory, especially in close proximity to starving humans being subject to inhumane atrocities.

• Like 2

One the Simon Wiesenthal Centre missed.

Nazi Giant Rabbit Breeder Still At Large!

giant-rabbit3_zps0f497a0b.jpg

Rabbit breeder Adolf Gruntfuttoch of Eberswalde, Germany, is believed to be the last remaining member of SS Sonderkommando 27 (Bunny-Häschen), formed in 1943 to supply the Wehrmacht with lucky rabbits' foot talismans for their key-rings. When challenged, Herr Gruntfuttoch muttered "Ach, mein ears und viskers", pulled a large pocket watch from his waistcoat and vanished down a hole in search of Alice!

You beat me to it as I was going to post this:

10410_GiantRabbit.jpg

Why is it every time there is a topic of Nazism just about every person feels the need to state how much they despised them and their ideology? I think we know by now. They were such terrible people, all of them, monters. lmao this is why it's always good to be on the winning side. Otherwise your ancestor's names shall be tainted without a second thought.

• Like 1

night_of_the_lepus_fangs.jpg

Why is it every time there is a topic of Nazism just about every person feels the need to state how much they despised them and their ideology? I think we know by now. They were such terrible people, all of them, monters. lmao this is why it's always good to be on the winning side. Otherwise your ancestor's names shall be tainted without a second thought.

What's wrong with it? People are just expressing themselves.

• Like 3

While i don't agree with Nazism compaired to some i.e Stalin Moe Pol Pot the Catholic Church they were a bunch of boy scouts but that aside the Germans were a very clever lot and did come up whith a lot of clever inovations and inventions V1 and V2 rockets being just two make no mistake we were lucky to win

While i don't agree with Nazism compaired to some i.e Stalin Moe Pol Pot the Catholic Church they were a bunch of boy scouts but that aside the Germans were a very clever lot and did come up whith a lot of clever inovations and inventions V1 and V2 rockets being just two make no mistake we were lucky to win

What the fekk does the Catholic Church have to do with any of this?

And the Nazis did not "come up clever innovations", the scientists and engineers that they ordered to do so did. To the contrary, the continuous intervention by Nazi bigshots was the biggest drag on German engineering at the time.

Fail, and fail.

• Like 1

The faces I get when I tell people of SS members in my family....I guess starting a giant rabbit farm would be a bad idea.

• Like 1

Huh? I always thought the "giant rabbits" were a joke. Photoshoped images. But I guess they are real.

220px-Runt_and_Paxie.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_Giant

Snopes: Picture is real....

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/giantrabbit.asp

I had a Flemish Giant when I was young. 'Thumper' didn't get quite that size though.

...This animal is a really great producer of wool but that doesn't make them Nazis.

I'm sorry, but I found that last sentence particularly amusing for some reason.

• Like 3

The faces I get when I tell people of SS members in my family....I guess starting a giant rabbit farm would be a bad idea.

Nothing wrong with raising rabbits, giant or not. But, if you are planning to commit the genocide of a people, you will have a problem.

• Like 1