Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
questionmark

The end of year spending spree

4 posts in this topic

This past week, the Department of Veterans Affairs bought $562,000 worth of artwork.

In a single day, the Agriculture Department spent $144,000 on toner cartridges.

And, in a single purchase, the Coast Guard spent $178,000 on “Cubicle Furniture Rehab.”

This string of big-ticket purchases was an unmistakable sign: It was “use it or lose it” season again in Washington.

Read more

Last week I went to the garbage dump and some government employee dumped around 25 office chairs. The kind used at computer desks, leather... nothing wrong with them.... they must have been valued at around 300-450 $ each. My friend who was with me took 4. I told him you may as well.. you and I are paying for them anyhow.

2 people like this

I've seen this quite a bit in the military. The use it or lose it methodology that the government uses makes me sad about the waste considering that any effort at efficiency and cost saving that you do only ends up hurting you the following year. Basically, you get an allowance and you have to spend it all. Reminds me of Brewster's Millions.

1 person likes this

The whole "you didn't use all your budget this year, next year it'll be what you did use" is insane.

1 person likes this