Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Transgirl still receiving criticism

Ratte

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=20334926&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fl.php%3Fu%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fabcn.ws%252F16zwHFc%26h%3DoAQH_08R3%26s%3D1

I've been following this story for a while and it's just sickening how she's still getting rude messages, and how a lot of those people are adults. Who should know better.

• Like 2

So, he won Homecoming Queen but is still emotionally distraught? No one is universally popular and liked. I suppose a video rant would be justified is he was heckled out of the building(I have no idea how bad the criticism was), but otherwise deal with it and move on since a good portion of the attendee's would have had to like him and voted for him to win.

I am sure she is going through a tough time atm and I wish her well in the future, but...

Campbell, who uses YouTube to post videos of her daily transformation

If you show yourself to the world be prepared for how the world receives you.

• Like 4

- previous comments removed -

Well I never heard of the first two. Using a plural pronoun with a single subject is the best solution, but it is a bad one as many will see it and simply dismiss you as illiterate or think something like, "Oh, he's trying to be politically correct." Such thoughts are bad distractions from whatever point you are trying to make.

Well I never heard of the first two. Using a plural pronoun with a single subject is the best solution, but it is a bad one as many will see it and simply dismiss you as illiterate or think something like, "Oh, he's trying to be politically correct." Such thoughts are bad distractions from whatever point you are trying to make.

Pronouns could just not be used, or you could just ask the person which pronouns they'd like you to use.

Pronouns could just not be used, or you could just ask the person which pronouns they'd like you to use.

When I run into a problem of this sort, I usually end up not using pronouns, and recasting the sentence so that the non-use of pronouns is not too awkward. It is a problem of the English language as it now stands for which there is no good solution.
  • Like 1

When I run into a problem of this sort, I usually end up not using pronouns, and recasting the sentence so that the non-use of pronouns is not too awkward. It is a problem of the English language as it now stands for which there is no good solution.

Is that a common occurrence?

It is a problem of the English language as it now stands for which there is no good solution.

I would've thought ''her'' was adequate enough....?

• Like 2

These people who do what they do and say what they say to hurt this girl are the one's who need to go through it the most.

When a person calls a transgender girl a he that hurts in the worste way. The Transgender can only deal with it for so long.

We are humans too. Although our problem seems to be with gender, the problem is worste with others because they get to be how they are.

They can't claim to love God and see one ounce of his creation thats not damned as an abomination. Yet even the damned

have it's purposes for testing humanity.

The world is full of specie deviation. Just look at the Platypus! The world is full of challenges and tests for the hearts and minds of men and women,

you must recognize that both the good and bad are challenges to each other to make us better people. At what point do we stop seeing a human being, a living being,

that needs love and encouragement just because we don't like what we see and hear. Her intentions are not evil, they may not be the most Holy, but all things in due time.

If she could read this now Id say, keep heart girl cause the problem isn't with you, the world is full of challenges for us all, just do what you are doing and

keep your head up cause it's not an easy world that loves change, but an ignorant world that fears it, just learn to love that you are change and you are progress,

you were created with a purpose and if it were not so, you would not be here.

Edited by nothinglizx2
  • Like 1

Is that a common occurrence?

Most of the time when referring to a person of unknown sex where "he or she" doesn't work well (although I admit sometimes I surrender and use it -- but you still put the "he" first) and it is a singular subject so "they" is ungrammatical. More and more English speakers accept a "they" in such a sentence, but I still try to recast the sentence into a plural subject if I can.

Of course another situation is talking about God. One cannot use "they" in this case nor can one use either "he" or "she" or "he or she." It is impossible, so I just repeat the word "God" and avoid pronouns.

What I would like to see is English abandon "she" entirely and use "he" for both sexes, just as "you" and "I" apply to both sexes in the other persons.

Thread cleaned

Could we keep the comments civil and respectful please.

• Like 3

I wish the best of luck to this transgendered child. She has a long, hard row ahead of her. People are cruel if you are the least bit different and the internet is very impersonal, so people feel free to attack you.

• Like 3

I think that's cool she won the HomeComing Crown. Good for her. :)

That being said, yes, people can be a$$holes. Especially in High School. I'm sure a lot of the backlash, is from the prima donnas who felt they were "robbed" of the crown. You know the type. From Planet "Look At Me! Look At Me!" I can't STAND those type of people. They have no original thought of their own.

That being said, the best thing you can do is just be comfortable with yourself, and ignore them. Karma's a b!tch, and what goes around comes around....

• Like 5

so real girls, don't consider him a girl, no sht, what did he expect??

don't care what he thinks he is, but he has was born as a male, he is a male.

That only apply for transgirls? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've seen you call me 'he' before when most of the forum now knows I'm trans. Maybe I'm thinking of another user.

That only apply for transgirls? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've seen you call me 'he' before when most of the forum now knows I'm trans. Maybe I'm thinking of another user.

i did??? you were born a female, so you are female. i would be interested to see, where i called you a he. unless it was before i was aware of you birth gender.

so, out of curiosity, and in the interest of being less confrontational: aztek, are you actually interested in learning what trans and associated ideas actually mean, or are you just here to tell us what you think we are?

i say we because i am a trans woman, (not my favorite term, but whatevs.) you see how it says female under my name? that's who i am.

so if you are interested, i have some resources, and if you aren't... then why the hell are you in this thread? just to insult and belittle people?

• Like 3

i did??? you were born a female, so you are female. i would be interested to see, where i called you a he. unless it was before i was aware of you birth gender.

It is also true that everyone is born ignorant. We have to unlearn that, though some find that process easier than others.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 6

I was born with a vagina, not female. Big difference. I am male and no one else gets an opinion on my gender but me.

Pronouns don't really bother me. Niki ( my boyfriend) slips back and forth between he and she, and it doesn't offend me.

But what does offend me is people who assume gender is a fixed binary. You can be one or the other or both or neither or some mix. I've always been masculine, even before concepts like gender and sexuality crossed my mind.

• Like 2

rriight, becouse not only females are born with vagina.

gender is not an opinion, it is a biological fact.

The body is not the person. The body has a gender and so does the person. Sometimes those genders match, sometimes they do not. The person, however, has the ultimate right in deciding what gender they (the person) are.

• Like 3

It is also true that everyone is born ignorant. We have to unlearn that, though some find that process easier than others.

it is also thru when you can't accept someone opinion that is diferent to yours you get p***ed off, and try to insult that person. lame failed attempt btw.

The body is not the person. The body has a gender and so does the person. Sometimes those genders match, sometimes they do not. The person, however, has the ultimate right in deciding what gender they (the person) are.

lets agree to dissagree

rriight, becouse not only females are born with vagina.

gender is not an opinion, it is a biological fact.

Wrong. Sex and gender are different things.

http://www.med.monas...xandgender.html

Sex = male and female

Gender = masculine and feminine

So in essence:

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs.

Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

• Like 3

it is also thru when you can't accept someone opinion that is diferent to yours you get p***ed off, and try to insult that person. lame failed attempt btw.

lets agree to dissagree

If I insulted you I also insulted myself, as I said everyone is born ignorant. If we take your stance that we cannot change what we are born as, then we are all still ignorant, yes?