Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waspie_Dwarf

Warning over turbine applications near Dark Sky Park

Astronomers and land charities have warned that Britain's only Dark Sky Park is being threatened by applications for wind turbines.

Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park was opened by the first minister last year.

But the Astronomer Royal for Scotland, the John Muir Trust and the Scottish Wild Land Group have written to the Scottish government, asking it to to rule out wind farms in the vicinity.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Likely Guy

• spacecowboy342

• Waspie_Dwarf

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it sad that we now need 'Dark Sky' parks at all. How many children grow up in cities now without ever seeing the Milky Way? I was spoiled.

I guess I was spoiled too. There are a lot of wind turbines in west Texas but they don't effect star viewing. They just kill eagles apparently.

I guess I was spoiled too. There are a lot of wind turbines in west Texas but they don't effect star viewing. They just kill eagles apparently.

According to the OP they must be lit up for safety's sake which will destroy a Dark Sky park. That and they don't just kill eagles.

Do a google; wind turbine carnage.

According to the OP they must be lit up for safety's sake which will destroy a Dark Sky park. That and they don't just kill eagles.

Do a google; wind turbine carnage.

Sad about the destruction of the dark sky park though the concept is foreign to me. Also about the wind turbine carnage though compared to Chernobyl, the BP spill and the Exxon Valdez it doesn't register that much with me