Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How early is your earliest memory?

J. K.

What is the earliest memory you remember? And why do you think we don't remember our infancy?

I have a specific memory regarding JFK's assassination, even though I was only two at the time.

• Like 1

My earliest memory? Probably biting my father's Rottweiler in his ear with my 2 1/2 teeth. Hasso looked pained but did nothing to me. I was about a year old. I remember it 'cause my dad said to never do something that stupid again and he looked real angry (something I had not seen until then).

• Like 2

This doctor reached in - grabbed me by my feet and smacked me on my bottom for no good reason... I immediatly yelled out "Get me a lawyer!"...

Seriously, my earliest memory (a very fuzzy one at that) is when I was about 1 and a half... We were living in Puerto Rico at the time and I faintly remember sitting on the beach

and playing with a starfish (who probably wasn't having as much fun as I was) while the tide came up and covered my legs...

• Like 4

My earliest memory was when I was about 2 of an apartment we lived in before buying another house. I remember the inside of the apartment vividly, although the scene lasts for maybe a minute. I also remember sitting in my highchair, but I don't know what age I was then.

• Like 1

The first clear memory I have, besides incomprehensible jumbles of feelings/images, would either be crawling underneath a blue flannel blanket as a toddler/baby or running around in one of those old standing walkers for toddlers(the one that surrounds you with circular wheels) to get into the kitchen. I'm not sure which of those came first.

• Like 1

Before drink or after drink?

Truthfully, I must have been about 3 at the time, sitting in a car driving through forests and the car stopping so the adults could get out for a pee, we were as I remember, in the middle of a place with trees, trees ands more trees.

• Like 1

The earliest thing I remember was when I was about 3. I remember waking up from a nightmare I had that involved bugs crawling all over me. My Mom came in as I was yelling and jumping around.

• Like 1

Laying in a crib with a dirty nappy (daiper) beside my parents bed and wishing they would hurry up and waken up. I was about 15 at the time... lol (only kidding, I was just a baby)

• Like 6

My memory isn't quite good enough to remember which was first, but either standing on the front porch and watching my older brother go off to school for the first time, or lying on my tummy chin cupped in hands watching in awe at the picture on the very first tv set (black and white) we owned. Both from when I was 3.

• Like 2

I was twoish. Playing with the neighbor boy who lived below us...

I don't remember moving to the house at all though.

I remember getting my hand caught in a mechanical toy and screaming bloody murder.

I was in the basement. I remember by dad flying down the stairs and coming to save my fingers.

My mom told me years later he had taken like Five steps at a time.....

• Like 1

I was being carried through the front door and the closet door was open exposing a red vacuum. I don't know how old I was, but I did not live in that place passed 2, but evidently the red vacuum made an impression on me.

In my crib fighting with my bottle of apple juice. I kept pushing it out, my mum kept putting it back in.....never really like apple juice.

Peace

mark

My earliest memory I was about two years old and was staying at my grandmother`s house. My Dad was in Germany at the end of the war. My Grand ma made my Mom put these pinned big bath towels on me and my brother so we would `nt pee in her beds,I could`nt sleep cause it was like sleeping on a big lump:) :)

Edited by docyabut2

I think most of our really early memories are actually false memories we have from hearing stories of our folks.

My earliest memory was being pushed around on a tricycle by my neighbourhood friend, falling off and then crying. He ran around the corner back home. A police woman leaned over me and that is all I remember until the police station.

My parents and siblings filled in the rest: It was New Years Eve and I was 3 1/2 years old. My parents went to the New Years Dance and it was my 13 year old brother's job to babysit me and my sister. They were inside the house watching TV.

We were immigrants just arrived in the country 6 months before so I didn't speak English and couldn't tell the police officer where I lived. I ended up 30kms away at Russell St Police Station. My poor brother and sister started getting worried when night fell and I didn't come inside, they searched everywhere crying and freaking out but not speaking English or understanding how to call the police they didn't know what else to do.

When mum and dad arrived home at 2am they were hiding under the bed, afraid of a beating for losing me.

All ended well, my parents went to the police station and were told where I had been taken. Apparently there was some fear they were not my actual parents but potential abductors so the re-introduction was heavily supervised. I apparently ran into their arms screaming mama, ata (dad) and they let them take me home.

I must have been pretty traumatised to forget alot of the details, I do remember complaining to my mum that they wouldn't give me any milk though, apparently they didn't understand I was asking for it.

I was about 18 months to 2 years too (funny that isnt it, all around about 2 ish) and I was new to walking so tottered a little as I was heading towards the garage where my old man was sitting whittling something.

I remember smiling and wanting to go over and as I did, I noticed a Huge rooster, about my size, stalking towards me, the old man did too and just smiled while encouraging me to come over saying, 'its alright, he wont hurt you'.

But that darn thing came right up to me and so I turned tail and wandered back into the house.

Not sure how old I was but my earliest memory was when I fell off the top bunk of my bunk bed, hit the floor and was crying and as I recall I was small enough that my mother came in and picked me up and comforted me.

• Like 1

I remember laying on something (about waist high on my mother) while my ma and another woman looked at me and talked. Next oldest memory is of myself and my sister sitting in the grass, and sun . I don't remember how old I was ... A baby in the first.. maybe a toddler in the second.

This doctor reached in - grabbed me by my feet and smacked me on my bottom for no good reason... I immediatly yelled out "Get me a lawyer!"...

You're lucky. I was so ugly when I was born, the doctor lifted me by my ears and smacked me in the mouth!

My earliest recollection is of my father shaving my head and painting it green because we were too poor to afford me a school cap!

• Like 3

Hmm...why do I get the feeling ealdwita might be pulling our leg here?

Anyway, my earliest memory is playing with a litter of puppies that belonged to my Mom's friend. I think I was around 3, the experience remains quite vivid.

• Like 1

There was a time when I thought I remembered waking up from tonsillectomy with a sore throat, about two.

It was a false memory, as I figured out when I started meditating about early memories. I hate to say it but I think that is the case with most people's earliest memories. We hear stories about us in our childhood and come to think of them as actual memories.

My earliest recollection is of my father shaving my head and painting it green because we were too poor to afford me a school cap!

You had paint! Luxury!

We were so poor I had to rub grass on my head to turn it green!

• Like 1

My first memory was when I was about three to four years old and I was at my memow's house. She was teaching me how to pet her dog, Buster - a beige/light brown cocker spaniel. 'Gentle now, gentle.' I can easily recall the soothing nature of her voice.

I'm pretty sure that is what made me into the dog-lover that I am today. Thank you, memow!

I don't know how old I was but I remember my dad giving me a bath in the laundry room sink. I had to be very young because the sink was only 18x18 and I could almost stretch my legs out. Nobody in the family can remember Dad ever giving me a bath...must be why I remember the odd occurrence.

I have quite a few early ones, but I think the very earliest was of a rainbow. My grandmother lifted me out of the car (I was around 3 I think) and pointed up into the sky to show me.

I also have another one where my dad was holding my hand and we were walking out onto a frozen lake somewhere. My mom was on the beach still and I remember the walking over the waves, which were frozen in shape. This memory I've have for a long time and I remember always asking to go back there or just wanting to talk about it when I was little, but both of my parents have never remembered it happening. (which leads me to believe that maybe I dreamed it - or my memory is just a lot better then theirs..haha).