Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth stole its moon from Venus?

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2438631/Did-steal-moon-Venus-Controversial-new-theory-suggests-Earth-pulled-planets-moon-away-orbit.html

Earth has one moon, Uranus has 27 and and Saturn has over 50. Venus, however, has none.

A wild new theory presented at a Royal Society conference is claiming that Earth may have stolen its only moon from Venus.

The theory, put forward by a Caltech University professor, suggests that Earth pulled Venus's moon out of Venus' orbit and into our own.

Well since we really don't know the make-up of Venus, how do we know that it isn't made up of similar isotopes? I f everything came out of the "big bang" would there not be similarities on all of the planets? Maybe something struck a large mass and Venuis, the Moon and earthe were formed.

Or maybe there was one massive super-planet and it exploded and the various segments were flung differing distances across the solar system to form planets?

Well lets face it, its just a theory and has as much plausibility as most of the ones that come about these days!

Well if Venus had the moon and earth didnt. The so called problem would just be given to Venus instead. Why does Venus have a moon and Earth doesent?

Yeah, good points by everyone here.

To be honest, I realize that the theory is hard to prove, if not entirely unprovable, but I do like it better than some big-ass planet smashing into Earth and eventually causing our moon from the impact debris.

Just a point I didn't see addressed here: If Earths gravity was able to pull the moon from Venus' orbit, why doesn't Venus seem to unable to influence the current lunar orbit today? Are they suggesting that Earth and Venus orbits were closer?

It seems to me that the moon would be in a constant tug of war between the planets if this were the case.

Just a point I didn't see addressed here: If Earths gravity was able to pull the moon from Venus' orbit, why doesn't Venus seem to unable to influence the current lunar orbit today? Are they suggesting that Earth and Venus orbits were closer?

It seems to me that the moon would be in a constant tug of war between the planets if this were the case.

Earth won.

Just the other day I saw some website that proposed at one time Mars and Earth were tidally locked in a tight orbit and then something (perhaps some wandering planet pulled them apart and into their present orbits. I don't remember what, if anything was said about our moon, or Mars' two moons for that matter. If I understand correctly this theory is based on the fact that Mars had liquid water and is now dry. Of course this goes against most standard models. I repeat this just to say there are all kind of theories, some reasonable and some not so much, out there about why our present solar system is as it is.

I think the same website with the Mars/Earth theory is also predicting apocalyptic things of Comet ISON which make little or no sense given its orbit.

Or maybe there was one massive super-planet and it exploded and the various segments were flung differing distances across the solar system to form planets?

Well lets face it, its just a theory and has as much plausibility as most of the ones that come about these days!

But what scientists have that you do not have for their 'theories' (your 'theory' is really just a hypothesis of yours not a scientific theory by a long shot) is they have mathematics that back up their theory, they have computer simulations run on massive supercomputers to test what otherwise is not testable by traditional methods.

"just a theory" is not just some idea scientists dream up, it is a hypothesis they dream up, tested by mathematics/physics and computer modeling.

One problem with this theory is the circular orbit of the moon around the earth. Models predict that a captured moon would have a more elliptical orbit, but perhaps they have found some mechanism that explains the circular orbit of a captured moon.

Nah...all wrong, its actually a 'Generation' ship from the past when thte 'Young Gods' arrived, made war, dropped our own misshapen moon on Earth to win that war and replaced it with their 'Ship'.

Its reflectivity is what governs our reproductive drive and psychological states of mind... :)

I thought the moon was just the result of large amounts of matter bombarding the Earth.

Thus, making the Moon a part of the Earth and many other forms of interstellar matter.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi

Ha ha ha, I love this as it means Science has no idea where the moon came from, AND, that it did not form or get here naturally from earth's vicinity. (Natural from a Cosmological point of view)

Edited by Saitung

Ha ha ha, I love this as it means Science has no idea where the moon came from, AND, that it did not form or get here naturally from earth's vicinity. (Natural from a Cosmological point of view)

That's not at all what it means.

^ this means you didn't understand it's one guy's hypothesis.

Why don't you look it up? Science has a pretty good idea how we got the moon, well backed by the study of moon rocks and so on, and it was not from Venus and also not created.
  • Like 1

Yeah, good points by everyone here.

To be honest, I realize that the theory is hard to prove, if not entirely unprovable, but I do like it better than some big-ass planet smashing into Earth and eventually causing our moon from the impact debris.

That is very well as long as you realize liking an idea doesn't give it any more validity. I'm not sure that this idea will ever be anything more than conjecture. There is a good hypothesis already to explain the formation of the moon. Venus must have been impacted by something large in the past to give it it's slow reverse rotation and it might be possible that matter could have been ejected into space to form the moon and be captured by the earth, but the current theory seems much simpler and, at least to my mind more likely. Perhaps in the future more evidence might be found to prove conclusively one way or the other. Edited by spacecowboy342

The main problem with the idea of the earth capturing an already formed moon from elsewhere seems to be that computer models show it either crashing into earth or being flung out into space

http://www.universetoday.com/19718/formation-of-the-moon

Edited by spacecowboy342

What someone nicked our moon from venus.......get real....if that was the case they'd need a transit van the size mars just to pull it back here. How dumb do you think we are.......everyone knows transits don't come any bigger than pluto. :cry:

Isn't the Moon moving away from us at the rate of one & a half to 2 & a half inches a year..

So it looks like we're losing our gravity or Venus is indeed stealing our moon!

Isn't the Moon moving away from us at the rate of one & a half to 2 & a half inches a year..

So it looks like we're losing our gravity or Venus is indeed stealing our moon!

We aren't losing our gravity nor is Venus stealing our moon. The earth rotates faster than the moon orbits, The moon cause a bulge to rise in the earth and since the earth rotates faster this bulge gets ahead of the moon and tidal forces cause a slingshot effect on the moon making it speed up slightly and drift a little farther from the earth every revolution. The same effect also slows the earths rotation slightly