Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese farmers capture metre-long 5kg rat

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2440190/Metre-long-5kg-RAT-captured-Chinese-farmers-Shaoyang-Hunan.html

The monstrous rodent, weighing ten times that of the average rat, had been terrorising villagers in Shaoyang, China

It was first spotted devouring 3kg fish whole from a local pond

Farmers broke two knives trying to cut the rat up to eat

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why putting growth stimulating chemicals into crops is a very. bad. idea.

• Like 3

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why putting growth stimulating chemicals into crops is a very. bad. idea.

lol

Oh boy.... he's a big 'un, for sure!!!

But, the person who said, "It was seen wading into the pond and dragging the large fish on to the shore, before swallowing them whole in its enormous jaws, according to local reports." is exaggerating, rats do not swallow anything whole. Sheesh... I think the fact that he is that big is enough without having to say he's swallowing fish whole. LOL

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 2

During the war rat was a common meal; now of course we stick our nose in the air at such an idea.

Splinter, what have they done to you?! teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-emoticon.gif

Chinese Kung Fu was better then mine.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo
  • Like 2

What they probably meant was the rat ate the "whole" fish untill it was gone, not swallowed it in one piece. It has a very long nose so it may be a species that can get that big if nothing kills it first. Either it was very wise or just lucky.

We have "rats" that big in the South, they are called possums.

• Like 2

During the war rat was a common meal; now of course we stick our nose in the air at such an idea.

Well, that one could feed a family of at least six!

Ewww to its size, and Ewww to them eating it afterwards. I know rats are on the menu in some countries and I'm glad it provided them with a meal. Even so......Ewww!

• Like 2

They eat anything, including dogs and cats. :(

Move along nothing to see here, just another guy dressed in a giant rat suit, probably the same guy who dresses up in big foot, alien, and lake monster outfits.

Yes to this and puzzled, yet quizically, raised eyebrow to Voodoo's lol ....

• Like 1

Ewww to its size, and Ewww to them eating it afterwards. I know rats are on the menu in some countries and I'm glad it provided them with a meal. Even so......Ewww!

I'm seconding the eww-ing. Eww!

That is one big-ass rat. I'm sure that made one hell of a stir fry.

Edited by ancient astronaut

They eat anything, including dogs and cats. :(

That RAT could eat your cat or dog!

Edited by Sundew

If I understand correctly from the original article, rats carry dangerous diseases. I presume proper cooking(moderate-high, sustained heat) kills whatever diseases they have. I think it's 145-160+ F. for several hours.

Not sure if that is done correctly in some countries/cultures or even modern households.

However, proper handling while "butchering", I assume, also plays a major role as well.

For example, butchering a raw rat on a cutting board then dicing vegetables on that same board(without thorough sanitizing or switching to a clean board), etc... could be a significant health issue much like it is with raw pork and chicken when using the same cutting surface "board" whilst cutting the rest of the meal that is not cooked(salad, etc...)

NOTE: Important that the culinary implements themselves (knives, holding forks, blenders, etc...) are changed or sanitized as well when switching to cutting vegetables or other meal meat that won't be cooked at that level of sustained heat.

Thank you for listening to my food channel... :passifier:

Edited by pallidin

Did they ate it?